• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Law Schools - Where and Why?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No doubt. I've been looking up numbers reported by firms rather than schools.
19 students out of a class of about 80 for the graduating 2012 class landed clerkships from UCI. They've gotta be doing something right.

with UCI's provisional accreditation, what will this mean for graduates in the coming years before they are fully accredited? numbers and such look good so far, but it is a bit of a risk no?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am always serious.

Cleveland has exactly the things I need: Nearby water (I have a boat), incredible culinary scene (Lola, the West Side Market, and the best cocktail bar on the plant), great culture and arts involvement by the populace (Cleveland Orchestra, the CMA, Parade the Circle, the INgenuity festival), a neighborhood I love (Ohio City -- I know what street I'd want to live on), and Ohio's typical incredible interior spaces (even though they are not the greatest draw anymore, like the incredible Arcade), great men's stores (Cuffs in Chagrin Falls). I can name a LOT of other things I love about Cleveland, too, but am short on time.

There's only one problem: the winter can really suck. That, and family stuff keeps me from residing there.

~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

(Lola, the West Side Market, and the best cocktail bar on the plant),

Loved all of those and can't wait to get back. Is Light Bistro still there?

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

with UCI's provisional accreditation, what will this mean for graduates in the coming years before they are fully accredited? numbers and such look good so far, but it is a bit of a risk no?

Definitely a risk. Not having an alumni network is definitely scary but I feel the school understands this and is trying their best to help current students out. First graduating class is this year so I'll keep an eye on how many have guaranteed jobs before the summer. COL is pretty low in Irvine but could be non-existent if I stay around San Francisco and live with my parents.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely a risk. Not having an alumni network is definitely scary but I feel the school understands this and is trying their best to help current students out. First graduating class is this year so I'll keep an eye on how many have guaranteed jobs before the summer. COL is pretty low in Irvine but could be non-existent if I stay around San Francisco and live with my parents.

COL is low in Irvine? I'm not from Cali so I don't know but I've read that OC in general is pretty $$$. agree/disagree, comments?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Myabe this has been said, but you can't trust any school's "employment numbers." This is a well-known and documented problem with the ABA's regulation on employment reporting. Most schools report 90% employment within 9 months, but the reality is that the school will have 30% employed in bar-passage-required jobs. Buyer beware.
Also, clerk placement doesn't mean much unless you are truly an amazing student and person.

No doubt. I've been looking up numbers reported by firms rather than schools.

19 students out of a class of about 80 for the graduating 2012 class landed clerkships from UCI. They've gotta be doing something right.

The clerkship numbers mean that Chemerinsky and his faculty are hitting up every judge they know to try to place their first class of students in clerkships. That same kind of campaign will not work every year and runs on a totally different kind of network than getting people into private sector jobs. Also, the people who land clerkships are likely most of the same ones whose resumes will be most attractive to biglaw--query where the bottom of the class is going to land.

That high of a clerkship offer rate is really impressive but doesn't guarantee that the second or later classes will do as well. Nor does it mean everyone is going to get to get cream of the crop permanent employment offers.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there was an interesting little piece on NPR "All Things Considered" today... talking about various students who were "deceived" by the school's employment statistics. The funny part was when they mentioned that she graduated from New York Law! well... I'll be damned... you got a 154 on the LSAT, went to NY Law and can't find a job... go figure! :lol:

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The clerkship numbers mean that Chemerinsky and his faculty are hitting up every judge they know to try to place their first class of students in clerkships. That same kind of campaign will not work every year and runs on a totally different kind of network than getting people into private sector jobs. Also, the people who land clerkships are likely most of the same ones whose resumes will be most attractive to biglaw--query where the bottom of the class is going to land.
That high of a clerkship offer rate is really impressive but doesn't guarantee that the second or later classes will do as well. Nor does it mean everyone is going to get to get cream of the crop permanent employment offers.

I suspected as much. Conjecture or are you studying at UCI? I figured in the first year or two, faculty will be using all of their connections to land jobs for students. I'm hoping it carries over into their 4th class.

About Irvine's COL, I compared that to other large metro areas, like Bay Area/ DC. I think it's cheaper than San Diego as well, which is my UG.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suspected as much. Conjecture or are you studying at UCI? I figured in the first year or two, faculty will be using all of their connections to land jobs for students. I'm hoping it carries over into their 4th class.
About Irvine's COL, I compared that to other large metro areas, like Bay Area/ DC. I think it's cheaper than San Diego as well, which is my UG.

cheaper than SD...? UCSD or USD? hmmm... how does it compare to LA in general... like Westwood (UCLA) or USC area?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cheaper than SD...? UCSD or USD? hmmm... how does it compare to LA in general... like Westwood (UCLA) or USC area?

CoL around UCSD (La Jolla) is very expensive; same with Westwood. USC is at the northern fringe of South Central... which is probably the roughest hood in all of LAC; l imagine living there would not be very expensive, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure professional/graduate students would much prefer to live elsewhere and commute.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As another alternative if you are dead set on going to law school / are already halfway through, if you have any connection whatsoever with Asia and the far east (Asian ancestry, etc) and/or don't mind relocating, law firms out here still have decent hiring rates for US qualified associates, even those fresh out of school. Gotta by NY qualified though. And they do pay biglaw salaries (or close to it).

Last edited:

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As another alternative if you are dead set on going to law school / are already halfway through, if you have any connection whatsoever with Asia and the far east (Asian ancestry, etc) and/or don't mind relocating, law firms out here still have decent hiring rates for US qualified associates, even those fresh out of school. Gotta by NY qualified though. And they do pay biglaw salaries (or close to it).

Which Asian countries are you speaking of?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
korea for one

newly passed FTA opened the doors and a lot of biglaw have been chomping at the bit for a chance to go to seoul. most are proceeding cautiously though cuz of the economy and korea (esp corps) tend to avoid outsiders

regardless those with asian language skills are being sought out during the interview process

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fact that Chem is running a hard sell to the judiciary is no secret. He's been talking about that publicly from day one and there have been articles about it in the Daily Journal.

But landing people in clerkships is only one part of the employment puzzle. Judges care mostly about getting clerks who are smart and can write. Law firm hiring, especially these days, runs on more than just GPA and writing skills. Firms also worry about whether someone has the presence to handle a standup role in court or in making oral presentations, and whether their social skills make them look like a future rainmaker.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which Asian countries are you speaking of?

China for another. Big market for transactional attorneys, but also has a fair amount of FCPA work that will probably increase once the UK Bribery Act gets rolling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads