• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Law Schools - Where and Why?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

clients ... fortune 500 go to the best firms. even amongst the top firms, certain ones are known for particular fields
for example - hostile takeovers, m&a, leveraged buyouts of large global comps typically go for skadden and wachtell

So you consider working on a leveraged buyout to be a "high quality" case? You are in for some nice surprises...

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol no i was only making the point that the bigger clients go to the biggest firms. esp. now that most corps are sitting on cash, only the biggest ones are doing M&A activity

but yeah believe me i know that closings suck balls ...

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From my research, the law market is bleak but not as terrible as most make it out to be. IE not only top 5% get good jobs from T50 schools.
Before the crash, about 1/3 of the students at Hastings were getting good jobs via OCI. It certainly has dropped but down to about 15. (Those numbers could be wrong, I got them from other Hastings students.)

When you're paying 150K for a degree, these are terrible statistics.

This is the point, people: Paying a king's ransom for a 15% shot at a salary good enough to pay it off is unbelievably foolish.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you're paying 150K for a degree, these are terrible statistics.
This is the point, people: Paying a king's ransom for a 15% shot at a salary good enough to pay it off is unbelievably foolish.

No doubt. I'm hoping for a decent scholarship unless I sneak into the T14. The problem is... my alternatives aren't looking very bright.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How'd you guess? :brick:
Current scholarship offers have not been promising... I'll have a better idea in another month.

Poli sci and I had a job before I even graduated.

It's all about the legwork, friends. There's almost nothing in life you can't land with a little hustle, but if you think your fucked just because you have a social science or humanities degree, you're not going to go far in anything you do.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all about the legwork, friends. There's almost nothing in life you can't land with a little hustle, but if you think your fucked just because you have a social science or humanities degree, you're not going to go far in anything you do.

I've been working in a field I have no desire of being in. I'm ready for a change, whether that change be a new career path or law school. I'm not putting all my eggs in one expensive, debt-laden basket.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

No doubt. I'm hoping for a decent scholarship unless I sneak into the T14. The problem is... my alternatives aren't looking very bright.

Have you thought about switching gears altogether and pursuing a medical or pharmacy degree? You could get your undergrad biology, organic chemistry, etc. pre-reqs out of the way while you work and then be in position get into a program that would guarantee you a job upon graduation. Don't confine your options to law school just because that's most compatible with your worthless undergrad degree. That's throwing good money after bad. Accept that you've been duped like the majority of college-goers in this country, accept that your undergrad is a sunk cost that isn't likely to ever provide an acceptable ROI, and just hit reset. If I was in your position again, I'd have just started all over at age 22 and become a dentist or something. I know guys who graduated from D.O. programs that start out making nearly as much as a big law pays Ivy League grads.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

From what I've observed, it's not that a humanities degree precludes you from getting a decent job, it's that those degrees simply do not open any doors for you. It's great that you found a good job based on your hustle and other personal traits, but that's not an endorsement of your degree so much as it reflects on you as a person. I'd speculate that pairing your personal virtues with a useful degree, like engineering or computer science degree, would have raised your ceiling immensley. When you spend 4 years and tens of thousands, I think you should expect to be learning a skill set that will make you a desired commodity upon graduation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads