• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laptop, help

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My iBook G4 is 4 years old too. Works perfectly fine for my needs. Do you need one, or just want one? Big difference.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy one for your needs and not for "the deal" or the specs.

What will you be using the laptop for.

I basically surf the web, have fun on SF and some other forums, and use my laptop for picture transmittals (Picasa) and lots of text applications. No heavy duty use like Cad design or video editing.

What did I get? A Dell XPS loaded to the gills. Absolutely everything possible except for the Blue-Ray drive. Do I need a powerhouse like that. Hell no, but I got a great deal, so in essence I bought "the deal".

BTW: The XPS is spectacular but way too much for me.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size matters. Or rather weight.

If you are going to be carrying it around with you be sure that you get something light. And remember that external drives and power supplies add more weight

+1 on rnoldh

K

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lenovo (or the latest IBM made one) Thinkpad T or Z series. Done!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Thinkpad X300 weighs just about 3 lbs, and can last for 8 hrs on the larger 6-cell battery. This just might be my next purchase. It is a little steep, though, at around $2500-$3000.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i'm partial to the aesthetics of the hp laptops with the new 'infinity' screens.

lcd is the most crucial thing with laptops imo. some are just terrible.

phryxis

Reaction score
seriously, you should highly consider a macbook.

they are fantastic, simple machines. don't listen to the mac hater bandwagon.

Enzo

Reaction score
There are a lot of really light HPs out there. I see them in classes all the time. Also Macbooks are pretty good, my friend has one and I use it from time to time when I'm at his house. If you want to do picture or video editing you should get a Macbook.

Zandros

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
lcd is the most crucial thing with laptops imo. some are just terrible.
The display, as well as the keyboard and the trackpad (or trackpoint) are probably the most neglected things when people buy computers, and yet the things that will decide how much they will enjoy using it. And honestly, I'm very partial to the trackpads Apple use on their laptops. /Adrian

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dell 1720 ... and get them to upgrade you to 7200rpm drives (they are a non standard upgrade but you just badger them over the phone until they do it)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads