• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landing a job in USA as a young (European) M.Sc. in finance

Chuha

Reaction score
22-year old, soon to be M.Sc. majoring in finance and making plans for the future. Everyone around me are talking about emerging markets (BRIC etc.) and I started to wonder what about the good old land of hope United States of America. To put it short, I´m wondering what are the opportunities for a guy like me to land a decent +80k/year job in America in the next five years? Preferably something like a financial controller would be the job title.

Yes, I do know what the current economic situation is now in the States, but looking for a long perspective (+20 years) I see opportunities in States. I like the American culture and their economic structure a lot more than Western Europe. I´ve been in America couple of times and I got relatives living there (Midwest and South), so I think I got somekind of a touch.

Just wondering what do you guys think, should I head for emerging markets as a expat or is there any arbitrage opportunities in States? Green card, is it hard to get?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BAD... we are at 10.2% unemployment didnt you hear? i am so worried about not finding a job
frown.gif
frown.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chuha
22-year old, soon to be M.Sc. majoring in finance and making plans for the future. Everyone around me are talking about emerging markets (BRIC etc.) and I started to wonder what about the good old land of hope United States of America. To put it short, I´m wondering what are the opportunities for a guy like me to land a decent +80k/year job in America in the next five years? Preferably something like a financial controller would be the job title.

Yes, I do know what the current economic situation is now in the States, but looking for a long perspective (+20 years) I see opportunities in States. I like the American culture and their economic structure a lot more than Western Europe. I´ve been in America couple of times and I got relatives living there (Midwest and South), so I think I got somekind of a touch.

Just wondering what do you guys think, should I head for emerging markets as a expat or is there any arbitrage opportunities in States? Green card, is it hard to get?

I feel your pain (I'm in the same position), but the chances of landing a 80K or more job with only a degree and no full time work experience is going to be virtually impossible. My suggestion is for you to research how much money you can actually make, because if you go into an interview asking for say 85K for a job that only pays 45K in this economy, you will never land any jobs.

Chuha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cminor
Go for accountancy if you want to be a financial controller.

I have accounting as a minor. Anyway, financial controller was just an example. I thought there would have been more opinions regarding emerging markets vs US career-wise.

postal007

Reaction score
I don't know too much about this specific area but my brother was an business major in college. The work situation is very tough in the US right now. Given that you are just out school, firms may not want to hire someone from overseas, especially since they have to sponsor you for a visa, etc. Also, when you are here on visa, if you lose your job, you'll have to go back immediately - i.e. you have no protection (unless you find another employer who wants to sponsor you). Plus, many finance/business majors fresh out school like you are hitting the streets every day looking for jobs, and investment banks have laid of thousands. Maybe in a year or two things will get better but I'm betting you may have a tough time. Of course, if you are a superstar, then that's another story (and I have no idea if you are or are not).

You may want to take a stab at emerging markets, but would you be happy in China/Brazil/etc.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads