• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knife technique

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's a knife technique companion book from the CIA that goes with "The Professional Chef"....which you should also buy if you don't own it. You can get a deal on them as a two-pack from Amazon.

jgirard

Reaction score
Hi there, This is Joe, CEO of http://www.rouxbe.com. It is true that we are coming out with a knife skills course and you will be able to learn from this. Close up HD content. We just finished the edits and it's amazing. I've been a professional chef for 25 years and this is very exciting. Hang tight. Another couple of months but it will help.

jgirard

Reaction score
PS... wanted to add that we will be shooting an entire cooking school curriculum over the next year - everything that you'd learn in a professional cooking school.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I took a class at a local kitchenware shop. But the key is practice, practice, practice.

Originally Posted by remn
damn, i was ready to post my thoughts on knife fighting strategy

I can highly recommend Defensive Folding Knife 1 & 2 by Insights Training Center. Great instruction and a lot of good material. Drills are done with dummy and live blades.

remn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I took a class at a local kitchenware shop. But the key is practice, practice, practice. I can highly recommend Defensive Folding Knife 1 & 2 by Insights Training Center. Great instruction and a lot of good material. Drills are done with dummy and live blades.
not familiar with that link but honestly most knife fight situations are so spontaneous (and usually you are the defender) that the best strategy is to block and then try to step back so that you can even draw your blade. very rarely will you both have blades drawn and you have time to plan a strategy. edit: sorry for sabotaging your thread lol please resume on topic discussion

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgirard
Hi there,

This is Joe, CEO of http://www.rouxbe.com. It is true that we are coming out with a knife skills course and you will be able to learn from this. Close up HD content. We just finished the edits and it's amazing. I've been a professional chef for 25 years and this is very exciting. Hang tight. Another couple of months but it will help.

I've watched a few of the videos and it looks like a great site. Good luck with it.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
there's a knife technique companion book from the CIA that goes with "The Professional Chef"....which you should also buy if you don't own it. You can get a deal on them as a two-pack from Amazon.

Good recommendation. The CIA also produced a video of knife techniques that's actually really good.

It won't substitute for in-kitchen experience, but it can definitely teach you the basic ideas.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Keep in mind your technique has to change a bit depending if you're using double bevel or single bevel knives.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another thing, as simple as it sounds, is just having enough space to work in. When I extended my workspace in the kitchen with a 60" work table, my cutting speed improved for some things because I wasn't confined limited to a tiny little chopping board at the edge of the counter.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point....also undervalued is having your workspace at the proper height. Some folks might want to stand on a stool to get better leverage/vision when cutting, especially if they are using a fixed counter. I assume your work table is adjustable height, which would be ideal.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a benefit to having a boning knife in addition to a larger pearing knife?

Is there really anything you'd need a slicer for besides large cuts of meat if you're quite fluid with a very sharp 10" Chef's knife?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Is there a benefit to having a boning knife in addition to a larger pearing knife? Is there really anything you'd need a slicer for besides large cuts of meat if you're quite fluid with a very sharp 10" Chef's knife?
They say the best chefs can do everything with two knives. I'm not one of the best. If you're good w/ a chef's knife, you can probably do without a slicer, but it does make carving easier when you've got a serrated edge since the surface is oddly shaped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads