• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That seems like your trolling a bit.  Do people actually agree with this.  Ive posted two suits before yesterday and all was positive feedback and no suggestions to add to the chest.  Just an occational comment on the pant and the shoulder.  Also, sorry cousindonuts, but he has no body shape.  So i could only assume we will wear suits differently. i have an almost 10 inch drop(8 on KW, 10 on Jcrew).  If others agree with you then i will resconsider but your the first so far to critique the chest.  I think it may be a personal preference thing

Take it for what it's worth, but I agree with NewShoes to an extent. The chest isn't terrible by any means, but it would benefit from some added room.

ellsbebc

Reaction score

Take it for what it's worth, but I agree with NewShoes to an extent. The chest isn't terrible by any means, but it would benefit from some added room.

I am far from a major contributor but I echo this. The fit is not "miles" worse, but increasing the chest measurement will help alleviate the bowing lapels and the waist is nipped to much for my liking. Narrow the shoulders, as mentioned, and you are set. My opinion is also on wider lapels but if you prefer narrow, by all means.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, sorry cousindonuts, but he has no body shape.  

If I cut my jackets closer in the waist then you'd see some shape. (and I may adjust that a little on the next go around with KW.)

That aside, the tough thing about this whole general issue is that we're trying to make judgment based on a very small set of pictures. Those pictures show a set point in time, not movement like holding a beer, hands in pockets, shooting a bow and arrow, or playing chess in the park. I myself constantly have a bit of a bowing issue with all my jackets because I am pretty squared shouldered, so when I throw my shoulders back all the way with chest puffed out, then they bow. When I stand a little more robo-pose then they sit flat. So to correct it, I may have the chest increased a little. But I have to make sure I don't too much or I'll feel like the jacket starts to get too big.

The button stance is going to affect this too right? Kent could only play with the stance so much, so depending on your height, it could be relatively higher or lower on your torso. irock's doesn't look very high, but I am not a good judge of that without seeing a belt or knowing your height.

At the end of the day, we are nitpicking details in small sample 2D on a computer screen, so all y'all play nice!

irock, I would hemn all your pants. The length was the only thing that jumped out at me.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best I can do for now, just picked this up today. All I did was have the pants hemmed and tapered slightly. I put a 2.25" cuff on all my pants now, I think it looks a little better on me than just 2". I know I will get comments on the pants fit, but I've given up trying to fix issues with my bow legs. I've never once found a pair of pants that falls cleanly for me from waist to hem, and this is about the best I can do outside of trying bespoke. And the problem is only really noticeable when I'm doing a robo pose. I need to find a better pose for taking pics that doesn't exacerbate the issue as much.

Other than that, I really like the suit - the jacket is especially nice. I wasn't sure if I would like the unstructured option, but it really turned out nice. The buttoning point is doing something funky, maybe from me raising my arm to take the pic. I didn't get any alterations done to the jacket at all. Also please excuse the shirt and shoes, this just happens to be what I was wearing when I picked up the suit. I also had my shirt sleeves rolled up, which is why you don't see any shirt cuff.

This is the best looking jacket I've seen in this thread. The fit is spot-on, I love the color, and the details (wide lapels, ticket pocket, 3r2) are great. So just to be clear, this jacket doesn't just have the "unpadded" shoulder option, but it is completely deconstructed, correct? So no canvas or padding at all?

My next major purchase will be the KW navy nailhead jacket (with MTM adjustments if needed), which is unconstructed. I'm in the process of losing some weight, though. Going from about 195 to 175. This will probably reduce my jacket size from about a 44 to a 42, which, coincidentally, is the largest size Kent offers in the RTW navy nailhead jacket. Still haven't seen any pics of it in this thread. Anyone purchased it?

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the best looking jacket I've seen in this thread. The fit is spot-on, I love the color, and the details (wide lapels, ticket pocket, 3r2) are great. So just to be clear, this jacket doesn't just have the "unpadded" shoulder option, but it is completely deconstructed, correct? So no canvas or padding at all?

My next major purchase will be the KW navy nailhead jacket (with MTM adjustments if needed), which is unconstructed. I'm in the process of losing some weight, though. Going from about 195 to 175. This will probably reduce my jacket size from about a 44 to a 42, which, coincidentally, is the largest size Kent offers in the RTW navy nailhead jacket. Still haven't seen any pics of it in this thread. Anyone purchased it?

Thanks for the kind words! And you're correct, the jacket is completely unstructured, no canvas, no padding whatsoever. Took some getting used to (this is my first unstructured jacket), but it feels like a dream.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is my one of my newest from last week. I need to take a better picture because the jacket isnt pulling as bad in the chest like the pic shows.(It fits like the pics above) Soft shoulder Edit: I found my orignal test suit pics. This is with a normal should correct? The below pic has a shoulder measurment about 1inch less than the three above pics. Im thinking we added too much
Man, looking at the fit of your trial jacket, I can't believe you changed ANYTHING about the shoulders, chest, waist, or lapels. The trial fits you better in those regards than any of your MTM suits. Did Kent hire someone incompetent to provide MTM feedback, or did you just ignore their advice? :puzzled:

irock7777

Reaction score
Man, looking at the fit of your trial jacket, I can't believe you changed ANYTHING about the shoulders, chest, waist, or lapels. The trial fits you better in those regards than any of your MTM suits. Did Kent hire someone incompetent to provide MTM feedback, or did you just ignore their advice?
puzzled.gif
Haha I know right. I went with all of Kents suggestions for my first suit. The lapels on three of my pics are 3.5 and only narrow on two of them. I think we added 1.5 to 2 cm to the shoulders. I personally thought that was crazy but went with it. We added 1cm to the back chest and waist. Which i also though was too much. I still like a touch more fitted look than the test suit. I was swimming in my first MTM jacket. However the three your looking at have all been altered by a very well regared/reccomended tailor so either they look tighter in the pics or the taiilor, who has been in buisiness for ages is wrong. Im going to side with the tailor. He has been helping me make adjustments. I also prefer a touch too tight vs a little loose. This may sound cockey but as long as i keep getting unsolicited compliments on the my suits, then im happy with the jacket fit. The only reason i asked about the shoulders is my tailor was on the fence andd wanted a second set of eyes. Didnt expect a sh!t storm of new comments based off suits ive already posted. Even though i do appreciate the comments. Thats also my third jacket above you posted which i have acknoledged is too tight.

P.S. You guys sure hate narrow lapels on this forum huh. Since im young and and only started paying attentions to suits about 4-5 years ago im much more used to seeing the narrow lapels in GQ, hollywood, etc. Honestly i like all types, appreciate the suggestion but will still choose to mix it up.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'm young, too. I'm 25. Preferring a wider lapel has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste. You seem to have fallen for trendy, fashiony gimmicks, unfortunately. But don't fret about it too much, as you're hardly the first on this forum to do so. But really though, even the skinny lapel trend is on its way out. Many fashion brands, such as Tom Ford and Suit Supply, have been doing wide lapels for a few years now.

Also, preferring "a touch too tight vs a little loose" is just wrong.

irock7777

Reaction score
^ I'm young, too. I'm 25. Preferring a wider lapel has nothing to do with age and everything to do with taste. You seem to have fallen for trendy, fashiony gimmicks, unfortunately. But don't fret about it too much, as you're hardly the first on this forum to do so. But really though, even the skinny lapel trend is on its way out. Many fashion brands, such as Tom Ford and Suit Supply, have been doing wide lapels for a few years now.

Also, preferring "a touch too tight vs a little loose" is just wrong.
Sorry i just dont like big lapels as much as narrow and i like my jackets super fitted. Just my thing. Do you see me saying big lapels are wrong no. Its just a preference. Im sure people on this forum look at the slim fit tapper pants and roll their eyes. Go with what you like.

Also you commented on my shoulder, in the tailor thread, a few moths ago on my first suit but made no mention of the fit of the chest etc. Why now?

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry i just dont like big lapels as much as narrow and i like my jackets super fitted.  Just my thing.  Do you see me saying big lapels are wrong no.  Its just a preference.  Im sure people on this forum look as the slim fit tapper pants and roll their eyes.  Go with what you like.  

No one said you have to like "big lapels". But the narrow lapels are factually and patently too slim for your build; you should go with the normal 3.5" lapels, at least.

And even if you like your jackets "super fitted", this can still be accomplished without being too tight. And I don't roll my eyes at tapered pants, as I prefer an 8.25" opening.

You need to learn the difference between "slim, but properly fitting" and "trendy and too tight."

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, a US/Canada 9 men shoe size will be the equivalent of a EU 43 men shoe size. Sneaker or not isn't relevant. Now, there might be some variation depending on last and manufacturer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads