• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

p.henrik

Reaction score

A Google search should yield plenty of results. KW's grenadines are grossa weave, and there's only one mill in the world that produces grenadine grossa fabric. So the texture of KW's grenadines should be the same as any other grossa, no matter the label.

Believe there are two mills, both good quality. I have however seen grenadines in the UK that looked to have a tighter grossa weave that doesn't look like my hober, but could be wrong.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Believe there are two mills, both good quality. I have however seen grenadines in the UK that looked to have a tighter grossa weave that doesn't look like my hober, but could be wrong.

You are right that there are two mills that produce grenadine, but I was referring specifically to grossa weave, which is produced by Fermo Fossati (they also produce fina). The other mill is Bianchi, which produces prometeo and piccola. Prometeo is almost indistinguishable from grossa, but is slightly different (larger).

All of this info comes from what David Hober has posted in the Hober thread.

Last edited:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are the insoles on the

Sneaker suede dark brown

removeable?
They're glued down, but you can rip them out. You probably don't want to wear it without any insole as this bottom surface would have tacky glue residue, but you could replace it with your own insole.

p.henrik

Reaction score

You are right that there are two mills that produce grenadine, but I was referring specifically to grossa weave, which is produced by Fermo Fossati (they also produce fina). The other mill is Bianchi, which produces prometeo and piccola. Prometeo is almost indistinguishable from grossa, but is slightly different (larger).

All of this info comes from what David Hober has posted in the Hober thread.

Gotcha. I think of the prometeo as a grossa since they're so similar. Don't think I could tell them apart unless putting them side by side.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playas can wear what they want. Haters gonna hate anyway.
True true. Argue all day and night about it. Wear whatever floats your boat. I dig the patch pockets. And in today's world, where nobody dresses nice anyway, they're more than acceptable and might even indicate a deeper understanding of style than traditional flap pockets.

socaldappergent

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I guess I won't be sizing down.

As far as the shoulders, I do believe that I prefer softer shoulders. Like I mentioned, I'm a completely novice when it comes to suits. Are you able to tell how much padding are in the suits for the two example pics I shared?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the help. I guess I won't be sizing down.

As far as the shoulders, I do believe that I prefer softer shoulders. Like I mentioned, I'm a completely novice when it comes to suits. Are you able to tell how much padding are in the suits for the two example pics I shared?

You can tell shoulder structure fairly easily by looking close enough. The shoulders of your CK suit look stronger (and therefore are probably more padded) than what mjrester or picolo posted above.

I would suggest measuring that jacket, send the number to Kent, tell him what you think you'll want to do to it, and ask his advice for which stock suit to order.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PiCcolocV

Reaction score
Nice PiCcolocV. So what are your impressions having tried both handgrade and benchgrade? Also, was fit similar?

The honest answer is, the two shoes are so different, there really is no way for me to compare - one is a dark brown lace up cap-toe, the other a medium-brown slip-on loafer. That said...

Not surprisingly between the darker color and cap toe, the benchgrade has much less visible creasing where the medium brown loafer is more pronounced from the start. Similarly, thanks to having laces the captoe has less heel slip, where the loafer does have a little (though still breaking in the loafers I guess) but is still comfortable and certainly not falling off my foot. I would say the loafer is a SLIGHTLY narrower and longer last, but still think 10D in both was the right call, with the captoe slightly more generous in the toebox but definitely not overly generous. The leather on both is superb, with the medium brown handgrade loafer showing more character thanks to both the color itself and the nature of museum-calf.

The biggest difference I notice is the handgrade insoles are literally the most comfortable of any shoe I have owned or tired on. The benchgrade is fine, don't get me wrong, and has molded nicely to my foot, but it feels like I have a suped-up version of dr. schols in the handgrade - almost like walking in a comfy sneaker. Between the two, the benchgrade captoe happens to technically fit my foot better, but the handgrade loafer is more comfortable in terms of material (this "sadly" is making me look hard at either the HG brogue or boot since from what I understand the last is more generous than the loafer, and I can only imagine how comfortable that is).

Random coincidence, but that made us exactly even on post counts. ^^

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads