• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bwahaha. Love that owl :slayer:
12399040_10100110323378110_1860652946_n.jpg
All KW. Except the owl.

Why Am I

Reaction score
Has anyone commissioned Kent for a hopsack "blazersuit"?? I was considering getting a navy blazersuit in a few months and would love to see pictures of any existing ones. Probably unstructured, half-lined, 3-roll 2, no padding on the shoulder, patch pockets, that sort of thing. Very inspired by @brillopad 's Loro Piana hopsack that he had made (plus pants).

Just put in an order for a blazersuit in a navy fresco. Should turn out great.

Last edited:

novaeagle

Reaction score
Just put in an order for a blazersuit in a navy fresco. Should turn out great.
Awesome!! I'd love to see pictures when you get it in in around 6-8 weeks. I won't place my order for probably 12 weeks or so so that's perfect timing for me!

What details did you land on, and which fabric?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So Kent and I are working on a project: an interactive tutorial to pocket square and necktie pairing. I figured it might be nice to pick everyone's brains here (and perhaps the pocket square discussion thread) on how to go about formatting such a thing.

The basic idea is going to involve some sort of written guide on coordination, which of course already exists out there, probably from a number of good sources, and then an interactive component. The interaction is going to involve some sort of drag and drop of squares and ties causing an image of that combination (against a blue jacket and a white or blue shirt) to pop up. It'll be from a set of 12 different ties and 12 different squares, so 144 images in total. Obviously, not everything is going to be a "good combination." Originally, we were going to do full shots of the good combinations (well, chest shots) and merely a picture of the tie overlayed on top of the square for a "bad combination," but that turned out to be too difficult. It was easier to just take 144 chest shots and figure out a way to distinguish a good combination from a bad one (my initial thought was a red border around the image if it isn't a good pairing).

Anyway, that's about all I have in my head on the project. The rest is very much up in the air. I guess I'm hoping for some advice and feedback from y'all, particularly along the lines of:

- Should the written component include images (and if so, should the images be different from those included in the interactive portion)?
- How much, if any, explanation should be included with each pairing?
- What is the best way to dilineate good pairings from bad ones?
- And mostly: what else could be done to make this more meaningful/helpful/fun for folks?

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]
Anyway, that's about all I have in my head on the project. The rest is very much up in the air. I guess I'm hoping for some advice and feedback from y'all, particularly along the lines of:

[...]

[...]

Is there really a strong consensus on this (apart from the usual ‘thou shalt nots’)?.
smile.gif

[...]
[...]
- And mostly: what else could be done to make this more meaningful/helpful/fun for folks?

I’ve always enjoyed the sort of multiple choice news quizzes on a particular topic that the New York Times runs on its website (yeah, I know, you’re not surprised …).

I could imagine something like that being fun (given a tie, choose the best square, or conversely). If you get it wrong you get a brief explanation of why the choice is bad.

Have a series of them and users get a score. People like scores.

Cheers,

Ac

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Kent and I are working on a project: an interactive tutorial to pocket square and necktie pairing. I figured it might be nice to pick everyone's brains here (and perhaps the pocket square discussion thread) on how to go about formatting such a thing.

The basic idea is going to involve some sort of written guide on coordination, which of course already exists out there, probably from a number of good sources, and then an interactive component. The interaction is going to involve some sort of drag and drop of squares and ties causing an image of that combination (against a blue jacket and a white or blue shirt) to pop up. It'll be from a set of 12 different ties and 12 different squares, so 144 images in total. Obviously, not everything is going to be a "good combination." Originally, we were going to do full shots of the good combinations (well, chest shots) and merely a picture of the tie overlayed on top of the square for a "bad combination," but that turned out to be too difficult. It was easier to just take 144 chest shots and figure out a way to distinguish a good combination from a bad one (my initial thought was a red border around the image if it isn't a good pairing).

- Should the written component include images (and if so, should the images be different from those included in the interactive portion)?
- How much, if any, explanation should be included with each pairing?

I think you have to at least mention something about the backgrounds against which a tie and square will be worn...i.e., differing shirt and jacket/suit patterns.

You could have a perfect tie and square combo...but worn with the wrong shirt or jacket/suit...and its ruined.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For example...it is very easy to match a tie and a pocket square against a blue jacket / light blue shirt backdrop....

But what about something more complex like this:

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That is obviously too elite for a mortal tutorial to address.

But I take your point; it's one that crossed my mind. For practical reasons, we're sticking with the a blue jacket and three shirts (white, blue and blue with white stripes). But I suppose it might be possible to expand to another jacket at a later date.

It is something that should be addressed in the tutorial section though, yea? But I'm sort of operating under the assumption that because there is the most variety in ties (as opposed to jackets and shirts), that ties are probably the most important element in terms of pairing instruction.

Kent also wants to do something for tieless square use, but I think the interactive portion might not be as fun as the tie-square.

@Academic2 I initially floated a similar idea. Each combination would be have two sets of approval. The "official approval"* and the crowd approval. People would be able to vote and anything over 90% approval would be marked as "Crowd Approved." I didn't want the actual percentage shown (as I don't think uncertainty would be beneficial here), but Kent feels even that is too much uncertainty and that approval should be unequivocal.

*Thoughts on "official approval"? At this point, it's pretty much a committee of Kent, myself, and my wife. Other suggestions welcomed here.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is obviously too elite for a mortal tutorial to address.

But I take your point; it's one that crossed my mind. For practical reasons, we're sticking with the a blue jacket and three shirts (white, blue and blue with white stripes). But I suppose it might be possible to expand to another jacket at a later date.

It is something that should be addressed in the tutorial section though, yea? But I'm sort of operating under the assumption that because there is the most variety in ties (as opposed to jackets and shirts), that ties are probably the most important element in terms of pairing instruction.

Kent also wants to do something for tieless square use, but I think the interactive portion might not be as fun as the tie-square.

@Academic2 I initially floated a similar idea. Each combination would be have two sets of approval. The "official approval"* and the crowd approval. People would be able to vote and anything over 90% approval would be marked as "Crowd Approved." I didn't want the actual percentage shown (as I don't think uncertainty would be beneficial here), but Kent feels even that is too much uncertainty and that approval should be unequivocal.

*Thoughts on "official approval"? At this point, it's pretty much a committee of Kent, myself, and my wife. Other suggestions welcomed here.

Then I think you need to address different types of materials used for ties and squares and how textures and weaves can play an equally important role in pairing as color/pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads