• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping your head warm w/o hat hair, suggestions?

bitparity

Reaction score
So I recently moved to Canada from California. In cali, there is no such thing as a winter, so the idea of wearing a winter hat/toque is something we're not familiar with. When it drops to minus whatever plus windchill here in canada, I know I need somethin to cover my head, but with a toque I inevitably get a bad case of hat hair.

How do y'all take care of this problem? Earmuffs? Keeping gel and a comb with you at all times? Cutting your hair short for the winter? Just curious.

Phoenix

Reaction score
I wear 180's: http://www.earwarmersonline.com I find that those, combined with a good scarf, are enough to keep my exposed head and neck warm in most winter conditions where I'm at without messing up the hair. Canada may require stronger measures.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could be like JD and invest in a hairmet!
6sv7hgl.jpg

TheDroog

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Winter hats mess up my hair, and I don't have the kind of hair that will reshape once I've styled it.

I've tried 180's, but they don't stay on my head very well.

The best things I've found are ear bands, like the ones made by Outdoor Research (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/...are_all/83281).
They stay on my head and don't mess up my hair. Not the most stylish thing out there, but it does the job well.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I have a similar problem. Winter hats mess up my hair, and I don't have the kind of hair that will reshape once I've styled it.

I've tried 180's, but they don't stay on my head very well.

The best things I've found are ear bands, like the ones made by Outdoor Research (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/...are_all/83281).
They stay on my head and don't mess up my hair. Not the most stylish thing out there, but it does the job well.

The link didn't work for me, but thats's what I recommend as well.

I have a black wool ear band, it's like a thick headband that sits low and covers your forehead and ears. It works great, assuming you have hair. Combine with a scarf, and you're set for all but the colder of days. And they don't look all that bad, but they obviously won't be quite as stylish as a hat.

That's when I have hair; lately, I've kept my hair short and don't have to worry about hat hair.

ns_guy

Reaction score
I like being warm, so I just wear a toque and wet my hair with a bit of gel/whatever at work, gets it back to presentable on most days. I find that most people wear toques, so it's not like you will be the only person with hat head. If you carry a bag to work, I would just keep a toque in it as it doesn't occupy a lot of room. Wear earmuffs or a headband, and then if it gets too cold (your ears are going white...) throw on the toque or step inside. Where abouts are you in Canada?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads