• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping old magazines

tahonng

Reaction score
Kept most of them. Don't really know why. Can't refer to 'em. I have an old GQ that has Jack Nicholson on the cover and Cindy Crawford photographed by Herb Ritts. Stuff like that. I had to throw some out when I moved with my girl, but I still have some stuff. Some Playboys, of course, some PHOTOs.

And a ton of comic books. I'm thinking of selling some of them. Think it's worth it to sell the Superman stuff that John Byrne re-jiggered? Some other stuff like that.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I am a really bad packrat when it comes to magazines.

I have practically every Playboy from about 1985 on.

About 6 years ago, I went to the local comic book store and purchased boxes, plastic bags and acid-free cardboard liners to store them. I have no idea what I am going to do with them or why I keep them - hopefully they will be worth something someday.

Other magazines typically sit around for a few years and then I make the big effort to purge my collection and they wind up in the recycling bin.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I keep 99.999% of all magazines I get (and I get quite a few, both subscription and at the store). It drove the wife (then fiancee) nuts when we had my old apartment. She told me I'd have to toss them when we moved into a house (lack of space)...luckily we bought a house with a library. As it is, they're taking up two full rows, wall-to-wall, and there are probably a few hundred more still packed up.

I go through spurts where I actually go back and re-read them, but mostly I can't stand the idea of throwing them out. I know that the second they're gone I'll need an article from one of the discarded volumes!

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I keep a lot of them as well...probably far too many. I am particularly fond of keeping the imported ones on which I've spent $10 - $20 a piece!

And I have every issue of Monocle....I just think it is very well-done.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to keep all of them until I can't find a place for them anymore, or when I move. In either case, they then get thrown out. My living space is more valuable than my magazines.

Riley Dee

Reaction score
I keep my back issues of The Big Takeover, Skyscraper, and Under the Radar. I store them in leather magazine containers on a book shelf. Magazines like: GQ, Men's Health, Details, etc. I read them, tear out the stuff I like, and chuck the rest.

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Do you keep old magazines long after you read them? If so, where do you store them? I keep copies of GQ for reference. For some reason, I can't bear to throw out issues of Time or Sports Illustrated, although I doubt I will care what they say six months from now.

I still have a 1984 Omni magazine whos front cover is about China's psyhic children.

I have the entire Omni magazine collection in some box.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I am a really bad packrat when it comes to magazines.

I have practically every Playboy from about 1985 on.

About 6 years ago, I went to the local comic book store and purchased boxes, plastic bags and acid-free cardboard liners to store them. I have no idea what I am going to do with them or why I keep them - hopefully they will be worth something someday.

Other magazines typically sit around for a few years and then I make the big effort to purge my collection and they wind up in the recycling bin.

laugh.gif
That was me maybe 15 years ago - I found an old bookstore run by a nice older lady who had a huge rack of old Playboys. I dropped some serious money (at the time) there, and when she went out of business and liquidated her stock, I scooped up the rest of them for a song.

However, a few moves later I got incredibly tired of schlepping around boxes and boxes, and realized that I actually read 10% of them, so the rest went into the garbage. I'm down to one box now, and strangely enough I haven't cracked the box since we last moved a year ago.

Diem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I'm guilty. I keep them everywhere. Old news papers that I'm meaning to look through again too, because of some article I never finished reading.
frown.gif

Yeah. I especially keep onto my 10 Men magazines, my precious British gay fashion mag <3
inlove.gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick story here:

So I was getting my haircut and barber was telling me a story about his grandpa. He had this chest that no one knew what was in it. Ever. So he died and the whole family was curious about the chest. So they all go to gramps house and crack open the chest expecting jewels, money, heirlooms, **** at least a few novelties or something. Nope. They got a chest of old playboys.

This was that old guys prized possesion and he never told anyone about it. Needless to say the family was like, WTF is this garbage? And just threw them out. Just goes to show, one mans treasure is complete and utter trash to most people.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually cut out the photos and articles from GQ and Details. No sense in keeping the whole thing.

My Thrasher magazines on the other hand... I have a bunch of those going back at least 10 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads