• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just how far apart is the average SF'er vs. the "average Joe"?

calcoast

Reaction score
Stumbled across this
http://screen.yahoo.com/mansome-191-mansomes-guide-pants-040000270.html

on Yahoo. It recommends wearing other types of pants besides jeans. They feature some $149 suitsupply chinos. The comments section pretty funny.

Browsing SF I sometimes forget just how far apart the average SF'er is from everybody else.

Some of the top comments

"Even if I won back-to-back million dollar lotteries I wouldn't spend 150 bucks on a lousy pair of slacks; but, I might be willing to pay a bit more than $10 for jeans... if I could find a place that sells a size 33 instead of just the #@*% even size 34,"

"All i need is my 18.00 dollar wranglers enough said about pants."

"As a man, I don't want to spend large sums of money of clothes. How could I afford my football tickets, beer, big TVs, the new pool table and other things that actually make me happy if I blew $150 on every pair of new pants? I'll just stick to Khols and you'll keep dealing with my lousy fashion choices"

"$149 for a pair of khakis? Dayum! I think I can get about 5 pairs for that price."

"Excuse me my dear lady, one can get the same good pants for a lower price than $149.99 in places like Wal Mart and Meijer. Often in Wal Mart you can get a good chinos for $14.99!"

'MURICA...

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine that the average SF'er is just an average guy who wants to dress better and is willing to do a little reading to help his cause. The SF'ers who are REALLY into clothes, shoes and/or accessories and get the most attention aren't "average" members.

I agree with the disdain for $150 chinos btw.

Last edited:

lwmarti

Reaction score
I have to admit that I don't dress like the people that made those comments, and for two reasons. First, my mom (a WASP of the worst kind) simply wouldn't have allowed it. Sure, I'm over 50 now, but the way that you were raised never quite leaves you. And you really never quite feel good violating your prep school's dress code, even 35 years later, and we were absolutely forbidden to wear things like the jeans that the people posting those replies seem to like so much.

Second, and perhaps even more important, is that fact that attractive women drool over well-dressed men. Drool.

Walking to lunch last Friday, an attractive woman stopped her car and rolled down her window to tell me how nice I looked. And then the two cute girls (hostesses?) manning the door at the restaurant couldn't stop telling me how nice I looked.

I'll be honest about this: I love this reaction from women. Absolutely love it. And you never get it when you wear jeans. In my experience, it's reserved for men in suits, and that's why I wear them.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine that the average newer generation SF'er overflowed from Reddit or Tumbler is just an average guy who wants to dress better and is willing to do a little reading to help his cause. The older generation SF'ers who are REALLY into clothes, shoes and/or accessories and get the most attention aren't "average" the same as newer members.

I agree with the disdain for $150 chinos btw.

FIFY. The old SF was a whole lot more OCD than the new SF.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the current standard of SF has dropped, so it is closer than the 'Average Joe'.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the current standard of SF has dropped, so it is closer than the 'Average Joe'.

Absolutely right: It is been falling rapidly for the last three years unfortunately and now it is certainly nothing more than the "Average Joe". Far too many threads about weddings/graduations/first suits and what matches this and 'I can't dress myself, please help' - little about decent clothes.

diglett

Reaction score
A lot of the confusion in the comments seems to based around the idea that "the same pair of pants" can be had for $50, $30, or even $15. The average person, at least in America, couldn't care less about how something fits or feels as long as it stays on the body and isn't too tight, so most people don't understand why anything would warrant a higher price than what they bought at Walmart.

I definitely feel a huge disconnect between myself and my peers when it comes to spending money on SF related things, and I'm still just a very small fish around here. My friends mention the things I buy when the conversation could use some eye rolling or exasperated cries of "Oh my god." They think I'm crazy, but I see it as investing in yourself, especially since it's one of the few interests whose results get put on display for all to see.
attractive women drool over well-dressed men. Drool.

I'll be honest about this: I love this reaction from women. Absolutely love it. And you never get it when you wear jeans. In my experience, it's reserved for men in suits, and that's why I wear them.
Agreed on all counts. While I've never dressed for the sake of attracting anyone, it's always pleasant to be recognized as "that guy who dresses well." Even if people don't approach you, your outfit still opens doors; any woman who cares about her appearance will care about her clothes, and will appreciate those qualities in a potential partner. I've been introduced to girls only to find out that they already know me as the guy whose outfits they always like. Some girls become flushed and nervous around me, and after I started talking with one particular girl, she just stared at me for a moment before spilling out a bunch of compliments about my outfit.

Like you said, men who dress well are attractive, and also hard to find. Sometimes I wish that other people looked nicer so I didn't want to gouge out my eyes while walking around campus, but then I remember that the shabbier they dress, the better I look.

I can't really comment on the truly "average" SF user, as I've stuck to a few specific threads, but I'll just say that the guys who regularly discuss even mid-range shoes like Carmina are far from being average joes.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i can tell you they are worlds apart. as an SF member i stand out even in streetwear. and sometimes it can be annoying. but really, being the "well dressed guy" is one of the better things to be remembered for.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's definitely a difference between the average Joe and the average SFer. I also agree with the comments that SF has moved a bit in the direction of the average Joe over the past few years. Ultimately, however, it's an issue of priorities. The average SFer prioritizes looking good and being well dressed far more than the average Joe. The average person on a car hobbyist forum probably knows a lot more about cars and drives a nicer car than the average person in their income group. The average person on a sports forum probably spends more money on tickets for sporting events. The list goes on.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second, and perhaps even more important, is that fact that attractive women drool over well-dressed men. Drool.

Walking to lunch last Friday, an attractive woman stopped her car and rolled down her window to tell me how nice I looked. And then the two cute girls (hostesses?) manning the door at the restaurant couldn't stop telling me how nice I looked. 

thats a load of BS. Most woman wouldn't know a well dressed man if he fell into their lap. Most women fawn over dudes in too tight black suits, black "dress" shirts, square toed shoes, etc.

As to the price of suitsupply chinos...its ridiculous I agree. A pair of howard yount flannels for $180, absolutely great value. Brooks brothers Milano chinos for $60 on sale. Totally worth it. Suitsupply for $150...no chance.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thats a load of BS. Most woman wouldn't know a well dressed man if he fell into their lap. Most women fawn over dudes in too tight black suits, black "dress" shirts, square toed shoes, etc.

As to the price of suitsupply chinos...its ridiculous I agree. A pair of howard yount flannels for $180, absolutely great value. Brooks brothers Milano chinos for $60 on sale. Totally worth it. Suitsupply for $150...no chance.

Seriously? Can people stop jumping from one extreme to another. Why can't everyone agree that any 'Average Joe' will incur expenditure in any stuff. Everyone is a hobbyist to some extend.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously? Can people stop jumping from one extreme to another. Why can't everyone agree that any 'Average Joe' will incur expenditure in any stuff. Everyone is a hobbyist to some extend.

I have no clue what the hell you just said

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the writer really wanted outrage, they should have tried to explain the value in a pair of Allen Edmonds, or VASS for that matter.

Get average joes real mad...

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the writer really wanted outrage, they should have tried to explain the value in a pair of Allen Edmonds, or VASS for that matter.

Get average joes real mad...
lol....excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads