• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb worth spending 1K+?

MontyChapman

Reaction score
Last month, I went around Jermyn Street trying out some shoes (C&J, Edward Green and John Lobb). I was very impressed with all three firms and did purchase a pair of loafers from C&J. It cost me around 380 pounds but it was worth it because I have been wearing them regularly: they are comfortable and very durable GY shoes. So far, that has been the most I have spent on a pair of good shoes, only having worn "comfortable" rubber-soled Clarks. (Ultimate newbie looking to upgrade the wardrobe)

Although Lobb and EG are completely out of my "comfortable" spending range, I thought I just had to try them out after hearing rave reviews about them. The leather uppers on the EG and Lobb were like butter - extremely soft and supple. Very stylish, sleek, classic and comfortable shoes... A different style of comfort. Every step I took, I felt assured that there was a leather masterpiece handcrafted by a master craftsman (with some help from a machine ;)) on my feet.

I was very impressed; the shop assistants at both shops were very accommodating and allowed me to try out a few different styles/lasts. In the end, I thought the Lobb lasts were more comfortable for me. The Phillip II and Lopez were absolute classics, which I really really liked.

But I realise that these Lobb shoes are over 1000 pounds! If I bought two pairs, that would be around 2.5K. Is it really worth it? How long would they last with good care + circulation with other shoes?

P.S. Are there any good Lobb alternatives? Sadly, I didn't get to try Tricker's but I also heard some good things about them.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But I realise that these Lobb shoes are over 1000 pounds! If I bought two pairs, that would be around 2.5K. Is it really worth it? How long would they last with good care + circulation with other shoes?

I don't think it's possible to answer these questions because value is subjective. It depends on your budget, needs, lifestyle, and how you emotionally connect with the item.

John Lobb shoes will not last any longer than Meermins, as long as you take care of your shoes.

I think there's a tendency on this board for people to overstate the differences in quality between items as a way to encourage people to buy ever-more expensive things. But true value comes from experience with different items and simply finding what works for your lifestyle, taste, needs, etc. You may end up finding that you reach for Alden shoes more often than Edward Green (or whatever the two brands might be). This experience is very subjective and organic.

I have a few pairs of Lobbs, but find myself mostly wearing Edward Green, Nicholas Templeman, and Alden for Brooks Brothers.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last month, I went around Jermyn Street trying out some shoes (C&J, Edward Green and John Lobb). I was very impressed with all three firms and did purchase a pair of loafers from C&J. It cost me around 380 pounds but it was worth it because I have been wearing them regularly: they are comfortable and very durable GY shoes. So far, that has been the most I have spent on a pair of good shoes, only having worn "comfortable" rubber-soled Clarks. (Ultimate newbie looking to upgrade the wardrobe)

Although Lobb and EG are completely out of my "comfortable" spending range, I thought I just had to try them out after hearing rave reviews about them. The leather uppers on the EG and Lobb were like butter - extremely soft and supple. Very stylish, sleek, classic and comfortable shoes... A different style of comfort. Every step I took, I felt assured that there was a leather masterpiece handcrafted by a master craftsman (with some help from a machine ;)) on my feet.

I was very impressed; the shop assistants at both shops were very accommodating and allowed me to try out a few different styles/lasts. In the end, I thought the Lobb lasts were more comfortable for me. The Phillip II and Lopez were absolute classics, which I really really liked.

P.S. Are there any good Lobb alternatives? Sadly, I didn't get to try Tricker's but I also heard some good things about them.

It can be worth it if:
- the shoe fit
- the shoe transform the foot and look beautiful on the foot
- the shoe is a classic.

To me buying a Lobb classic can be a worthwhile purchase
It still over price but still good to have a beautiful factory shoe
It about the last - the leather - the design - and pattern.
Lobb can reach perfection on those four points that surpass other factory makers imo.

Remember that these makers are only factory shoes.
To me they are never really worth it,
but price can be acceptable if the shoe look very nice on the foot and will last 20 years.

Many people very happy with factory shoe,
so maybe you will think EG and Lobb worth it.
Maybe the brand name make you feel good too??

Maybe it worth buying a EG or LObb one day to see what it all about.
Make sure it look good on foot and fit,
and save up spare money if you need to do that.

St1X

Reaction score
No, it's not.
Lobb is owned by a Hermes and as any other luxury thing is heavily overpriced. Hermes has much higher margins than competing shoemaker.
It doesn't mean Lobb shoes are bad. It means that you'll get a better bang for your buck elsewhere

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Short answer: JL not worth it. Unless you must have the exact last shapes the brand offers.
EG is better value in my opinion. More variety with leather / soles / styles.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it’s more an aesthetic issue. Very few, if any, JL shoes appeal to me. I find Edward Green to be more in line with what I like. If we’re still staying in that price point.

I think C&J offers a superlative product within their price point and therefore, in my opinion, the best value in English footwear.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG is more classic English style verus JL is more modern...

EG does offer the more modern, chiseled 915 last but only on certain models. They also have way better boots options.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't EGs run 15-20% cheaper than JLs? At least in the US. And EGs have better leather outsoles too (unless you go JL Prestige which is 1900 USD minimum but at least comes with some nice shoe trees).

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tbh if you have to ask these questions they are not worth it. I would say there is no real argument to be made to buy anything more expensive than C&J or Carmina. I have a pair of JL and i like them but it's not life changing. mine were $2,300 (some kind of premium line idk). if you have the money and it makes you happy go for it - otherwise don't try to justify the high price tag

notdos

Reaction score
The trick is multiple pairs in rotation. Doing it this way, they will last you longer, than you want them to. Just my .02

MontyChapman

Reaction score
I’m trying to get Oxfords that look good, of good quality and are comfortable. As much as I appreciated the slightly lesser price jump between a pair of EG and C&J, for me, EG lasts were quite constricting. I have quite wide feet and tried various EE sizes for EG and Lobb but ended up liking the look and comfort level of the Lobb shoes. I might try to get a secondhand pair? Is that a smart option?

My father used to say never buy another man’s shoes but I think the only way for me to get a pair of Lobb are this way?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m trying to get Oxfords that look good, of good quality and are comfortable. As much as I appreciated the slightly lesser price jump between a pair of EG and C&J, for me, EG lasts were quite constricting. I have quite wide feet and tried various EE sizes for EG and Lobb but ended up liking the look and comfort level of the Lobb shoes. I might try to get a secondhand pair? Is that a smart option?

My father used to say never buy another man’s shoes but I think the only way for me to get a pair of Lobb are this way?

I bought John Lobb's City II because I think they're one of the best RTW oxfords on the market, just in terms of aesthetics. A beautiful shape. However, if someone didn't want to pay what they cost at retail, I think plenty of shoemakers make nice oxfords, including Meermin.

I once had lunch with someone who I think is very well dressed. When we got up to pay the check, I glanced at the person's shoes and asked if he was wearing Edward Green. Turns out they're Meermins.

letsgofire

Reaction score
I bought John Lobb's City II because I think they're one of the best RTW oxfords on the market, just in terms of aesthetics. A beautiful shape. However, if someone didn't want to pay what they cost at retail, I think plenty of shoemakers make nice oxfords, including Meermin.

I once had lunch with someone who I think is very well dressed. When we got up to pay the check, I glanced at the person's shoes and asked if he was wearing Edward Green. Turns out they're Meermins.

Is comparing shoes at the time you pay the check the Styleforum version of ‘credit card roulette?’

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not own a pair of John Lobbs; however, I do very much like wearing the Edward Greens and Crockett and Jones I have.

I would recommend you try on the Crockett and Jones handgrade as a comparison with EG and JL to see if something slightly more reasonable on one's wallet might not satisfy you as much, if not more, than what EG and JL offer.

I agree with Phileas Fogg that C&J is probably the best value in English footwear. I think they are finely made and I really enjoy their style. That being said, my C&J tastes tend to run more towards the rustic than the formal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads