• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Love the towcester, never been a fan of medallions but the way this is done is so modern that it's cool!

Yes, little bit different to the normal medallion, thanks Mark.

klasmeister

Reaction score
My modest contribution, apologies for poor photography. Started collecting in 2007. Next targets are either Jodhpur II in dark brown museum or Tudors in Parisian brown museum given it's that time of the year
smile.gif

jujujoo11

Reaction score
My modest contribution, apologies for poor photography. Started collecting in 2007. Next targets are either Jodhpur II in dark brown museum or Tudors in Parisian brown museum given it's that time of the year
smile.gif

great collection. You have two city 2's in black?

klasmeister

Reaction score
Yes, I do. My job requires me to wear black shoes mostly and the City II were my first black Oxfords (and indeed my first pair of JLP shoes). I loved them so much (the 7000 last really fits my foot like a glove) that without knowing too much about shoes, I bought a second pair for work a year later so I could rotate them. Now, I am looking to diversify a little. Would especially love to have a model in plum museum, but haven't decided which one...

klasmeister

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. I normally wear the City II, Lopez and Truro once a week each. Also, I commute using public transport which includes quite a bit of walking so had all of these models resoled (none of the others though). Normally, I wait until a hole appears in the sole before resoling. Always got it done at JLP Jermyn Street and they do an absolutely fabulous job at resoling. It is not cheap but the result justifies the price IMHO.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@klasmeister Have you considered putting topy on those soles? Would save you some money.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it with several of my shoes, and I do not regret. Really prolongs the life and add extra grip as leather sole can be dangerous at some occasion. I found myself almost falling on bottom couple of times this Summer..

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's may not be a logical point since a topy is only glued to the outsole, but I have heard of a factory that refused to do a resole even with just a topy (not sure if it's Grenson or someone else). I'd double check with JL.

Please disregard my above comment if you've had JL resoled even when previously with a topy. :)

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been some talking about that regarding the EG shoes. EG claims it's bad for the shoe as moisture from your feet cannot ventilate through the sole that has a extra lay of rubber. But I just think they want your soles worn faster and get that extra cash on a resole job. Also, if you do the whole resole job why do they care? They will remove the whole sole anyway and put a new one.

I was topying the soles all my life without such problems.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's been some talking about that regarding the EG shoes. EG claims it's bad for the shoe as moisture from your feet cannot ventilate through the sole that has a extra lay of rubber. But I just think they want your soles worn faster and get that extra cash on a resole job. Also, if you do the whole resole job why do they care? They will remove the whole sole anyway and put a new one.

I was topying the soles all my life without such problems.

Many, if not most, bespoke shoemakers say the same thing....

But you're probably right...it's all bogus. I've been smoking cigarettes most of my life without any problems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads