• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcnicol21

Reaction score
@nsubrmnn pretty much nailed it.

It's been a really long time (by my JE purchasing standards) since I've been interested in one of the JE drops. If they stuck with 75% statement/luxury basics and 25% experimental/unique pieces then I think a lot of us would be very happy.

I'm curious to see how their inflated pricing affects the brand, especially after seeing how discounted many of the items were on different sites this past season.

Side note: Another thing that has gotten really annoying are the captions and tweets regarding products. Their twitter account said something along the lines of "Monday's denim release is honestly epic" and I just thought to myself, "Really? Honestly epic?"

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty spot on. I think most here aren't looking for expensive statement pieces for every outfit.
YES! You said everything I was trying to in one sentence lol.

If they are really going to be that next big fashion luxury brand then they need to make clothing for every occasion, and maybe not just LA chic. Sometimes you just need to fit in, but looks fashionable, "dress smart".

I'd love it if JE made some "real" dress shirts, and Japanese made sweaters and things that I could wear with my in laws, rather than having to grab another brand

nosurrender414

Reaction score
Another example: the Dillon denim today. Looks awesome. cool it has some subtle rips and distressing. Do we really need the repairs and patches? No. If it didn't have those it prob would have come in around that $400 price point. I bet most of he people that bought them today don't give AF about the repairs to the knees (but not to the knees rips itself). They just like the wash and maybe the knee rips. Honest poll here, was anyone swayed to buy because of the repairs?

I agree with you and the market will dictate the direction. Right now they have 10 different jeans for sale in the $300-400 price range. When there basic jeans go over $400, I think there's more to worry about but if they want to test out "special" jeans for luxury prices, I don't have a big problem with it.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you and the market will dictate the direction. Right now they have 10 different jeans for sale in the $300-400 price range. When there basic jeans go over $400, I think there's more to worry about but if they want to test out "special" jeans for luxury prices, I don't have a big problem with it.
Yeah they have 10 different jeans, but like 7 out of those 10 have blows outs or paint platters. It should honestly be the other way around. To offer three pairs of white/off white denim last season and none of them be a normal pair is nuts to me. And to not keep around a pair of basic indigo or black denim seems nuts. People do stuck up on these items. How many people have the same pair of apc denim?

grantmason6882

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I like the repairs. I think it adds character and detail to the denim. Am I stoked out of mind about them...I could honestly go either way. I think it's safe to say, that almost everyone on the thread isn't a fan of the paint splatters and I hope JE pivots from that.

Now I'm trying to speculate here, but I think JE is infatuated with Japanese materials and manufacturing techniques. Obviously having Nobu on board really influences that, but it really looks like JE has moved to manufacturing a large portion if not all of his standout pieces in Japan for their skill/technique/aesthetic.

I also think the brand is shifting into a market of "luxury" that a lot of celebrities and artists are getting on board with. SLP is amazing quality and a house name, but SLP is a Parisian brand at the end of the day, and I think JE is moving in a similar direction with an American flair. It's hard to say on the thread what's what, but I don't think JE wants to stay complicit with just making terry sweats and basics. Getting to experiment with all different kinds of materials, silhouettes, and ideas is what keeps the brand moving (For better or for worse.)

nosurrender414

Reaction score
Yeah they have 10 different jeans, but like 7 out of those 10 have blows outs or paint platters. It should honestly be the other way around. To offer three pairs of white/off white denim last season and none of them be a normal pair is nuts to me. And to not keep around a pair of basic indigo or black denim seems nuts. People do stuck up on these items. How many people have the same pair of apc denim?

I pretty much agree with you. I guess I'm encouraged because the stuff I saw in the lookbook and the stuff released today are items I actually want. S/S 2017 had embroidery, speckled jeans and Yacht thumpers.

Fresh718

Reaction score
On the thumper:
"it is designed to be worn and washed"
"dry clean only"
Interesting.
It looks 2 cropped n 2small
Maybe it's because I was prepared for the worse but prices weren't as bad as I thought it'd be. I know people saying this isn't SLP but aren't they still priced a little higher? Besides that, I've tried SLPs and only denim close to the same fit I've found is JE. Somebody with some SLP, can you explain to me why it's held in such high regard? I've tried them out. Couldn't really see a big quality difference between them and JE. They've just had some washes and distressing I've felt were a little more subtle but JE is hitting some of those marks now with the new season imo.
personally I own a lot of slp denim but prefer the cut of cast 2 I find slp fit varies and tend to be to baggy from knee down so I actually rather the cut of JE slp denim use to sell out at the height of the Heidi hype but now like JE most styles go on sale at deep discounts so I am with u I rather JE cast 2 I don't feel distressing or wash is superior with slp maybe 2013-2014 slp demon but rite now I wud take JE cast 2 all day

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I like the repairs. I think it adds character and detail to the denim. Am I stoked out of mind about them...I could honestly go either way. I think it's safe to say, that almost everyone on the thread isn't a fan of the paint splatters and I hope JE pivots from that.

Now I'm trying to speculate here, but I think JE is infatuated with Japanese materials and manufacturing techniques. Obviously having Nobu on board really influences that, but it really looks like JE has moved to manufacturing a large portion if not all of his standout pieces in Japan for their skill/technique/aesthetic.

I also think the brand is shifting into a market of "luxury" that a lot of celebrities and artists are getting on board with. SLP is amazing quality and a house name, but SLP is a Parisian brand at the end of the day, and I think JE is moving in a similar direction with an American flair. It's hard to say on the thread what's what, but I don't think JE wants to stay complicit with just making terry sweats and basics. Getting to experiment with all different kinds of materials, silhouettes, and ideas is what keeps the brand moving (For better or for worse.)
I see your point but if they really want to the the next RL or CK they really need to work on exquisitely tailored timeless peieces. Japanese fabrics are amazing, they speak for themselves. Let the quality speak not the flare. Look at the links sweater, did we really need the Random off center seam?

Fresh718

Reaction score
Tiara lot a
I think the 2013-2014 slp denim was the best as far as quality, fit, distressing and wash. Price was good too on those. Slp after that hasn't been that great either
titally agree 2013-2914 slp demim was goat and slid out quickly after that the cut of slp varied to much and the washes and distressing were not all that.. more hype than anything and I own over 10 pairs of slp denim

grantmason6882

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your point but if they really want to the the next RL or CK they really need to work on exquisitely tailored timeless peieces. Japanese fabrics are amazing, they speak for themselves. Let the quality speak not the flare. Look at the links sweater, did we really need the Random off center seam?

I agree with the over the top detailing like the links sweater. I think that's why Season 9 didn't do as well as other seasons, and hopefully, they're able to take that into consideration with future seasons in mind. I think Season 10 has mellowed out from the prior season and I see a ton of pieces that have years of longevity to their "wearability." It always boils down to taste honestly. I really like the beat in street appeal to JE over slp, but that's just one consumer.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many here buy slp everything and can afford basics at those prices? I like slp but only as statement pieces that I think I will like for a while. For most of my every day needs I don't really need ultra flashy outfits. JE shines for the basic everyday needs. I can literally wear most of it for my casual needs.

I think the core here prob falls in that boat. Everyday needs that don't break the bank and last more than one season.

When you get into the $500 denim category it starts to become a statement piece price. At that point you have to consider will I like wearing these more than one season.

Fresh718

Reaction score
About today's drop: It's kind of weird to me that the denim cost more than the thumper. In my mind outerwear should always cost more than denim.

Another strange thought I had was that it's weird that the Dillon had knee rips and repairs. What's the point of repairing the denim below the knee rip but not the rip itself?

I think once you get past $600 you starting thinking more high end luxury companies. JE in my mind has always held this niche of doing "luxury" basics, but not necessarily luxury items, if that makes sense. I liked what they stood for; American made, well tailored basics. When they did denim I was ecstatic, especially because of JE's time with Simon Miller, but when denim came out it was a fraction of the cost compared to what it is now. When you get past that threshold you start to wonder if it's worth it. Should I be looking at slp? Dior? If I want distressed denim should I be looking at fabric brand? Etc.

That 300-400 price point in my mind is where JE should reside. So just slightly more than the higher raw denim brands, and less than the fashion brands. JE has made some great denim in that range over the years, all the raw selvedge denim, the skittles, the washed black, Odeon, spring etc.

In recent interviews JE just talks about breaking that barrier and getting to be the next big American sport wear designer, but I think he's doing it a little wrong. If you want to do that you need to make classic timeless pieces. We don't need all the bells and whistles we need solid pieces that will last a life time.

The denim is the perfect example of this. They take a pair of denim that a lot of us would be happy with, then do everything imaginable to it and sell it. People would have been fine with a nice pair of well faded denim at a fraction of the price of fabric brand in a cut like slp. We don't need everything repaired AND distressed just so that now your denim is in line price wise with big fashion houses. What we need is some basic denim, and a FEW expensive experiment pieces. Other examples that come to mind are the oro flight jacket. That jacket was dope, then they put some dumb embroidery on it and charged a $100 more for it. Another example the was the mr p white Alta denim. The denim was awesome as a white pair with some minimal distressing and repairs, it didn't need white paint. After a point you start to wonder if this is really artistic or just a way to tack on some $

TL;DR: once you break a price point, you begin to wonder if you should look elsewhere. JE makes solid denim around $400, they should stick to that. People don't need all the bell and whistles all at once.
THIS!! would have been happy without the distressing and cuts... plain denim is where it's at ...but of course JE makes the plain denim a capsule so basically impossible to get unless u copoed within an hour of it dropping SMH ... why when board has been requesting plain denim for so long ???

grantmason6882

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many here buy slp everything and can afford basics at those prices? I like slp but only as statement pieces that I think I will like for a while. For most of my every day needs I don't really need ultra flashy outfits. JE shines for the basic everyday needs. I can literally wear most of it for my casual needs.

I think the core here prob falls in that boat. Everyday needs that don't break the bank and last more than one season.

When you get into the $500 denim category it starts to become a statement piece price. At that point you have to consider will I like wearing these more than one season.

That's a fair point of view. I think from there it's just deciding if it fits your personal style or not. I grew up skating and thrashing my jeans and chinos. Unfortunately, skate brands make cheap stretchy jeans with garbage washes, nor would I ever want to skate in denim made from such high quality so for me, I don't mind because they provide the value (aesthetic) I've been wearing for almost 14 years.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the thing though, most of JE is like weekend wear/casual. They need to make stuff for ALL of your needs. I'm not saying that they need to make suits, but a nice sweater, dress pants, etc. their goal should be that you have JE for every occasional if they really want to be the next big American sportswear designer

jthom931

Reaction score
John Elliott interned for Simon Miller before starting up his brand, and Simon Miller founded multiple denim brands (most notably Fabric Brand) with prices reaching/extending far above what was released for denim in today's drop. It makes sense where he gets his inspiration for denim construction and the market that (clearly) will be there for it all.

I'm stoked to see what collab's JE is cooking up for the FW17 season... always some dope one-off capsule of some sort outside the main season drops.

Super curious too on how the denim jacket will fit layered (namely with a flash dual zip)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads