• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cjaz

Reaction score
....The playful attitude is what the men’s side desperately needs.

Definitely agree with the playful attitude on the women’s side. My wife has a few items and she loves them.

I’m just frustrated in a way. In the beginning, the attention to detail permeated through the brand. To see it come from the original flash hoodie to the current beach is disheartening. I’m not talking fit, or style. This is about attention to detail. Look at the inside out comparison of the original flash and beach hoodie. For such a detailed oriented brand, this lack of detail wasn’t merely overlooked. It was deliberate. Seems like a money grab for the hype train catching a ride a few years back.

871081EA-8A84-4F6E-BDCB-631D7AA52480.jpeg

Last edited:

cjaz

Reaction score
To be clear, the pic above was the original website flash hoodie. They had this odd run of boutique stuff prior to the website launch. The hoodies basically hit your knee caps and they had odd diagonal barrel cuffs that nearly covered your hands. Only stuff I have from pre johnelliott.co are the “handmade in los angeles” tees and today, I still grab those first.

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree with the playful attitude on the women’s side. My wife has a few items and she loves them.

I’m just frustrated in a way. In the beginning, the attention to detail permeated through the brand. To see it come from the original flash hoodie to the current beach is disheartening. I’m not talking fit, or style. This is about attention to detail. Look at the inside out comparison of the original flash and beach hoodie. For such a detailed oriented brand, this lack of detail wasn’t merely overlooked. It was deliberate. Seems like a money grab for the hype train catching a ride a few years back.

View attachment 1377881

Visually (I can’t hold these to tell you 100%) it appears the only difference between these two is the use of an interlock machine on the left and an over lock machine on the right (there’s also neck tape on the left but I’m assuming you’re pointing to the exposed seams). I know that they’ve marketed it as being revolutionary, but it’s just marketing. An interlock is generally used in athletic gear so the seams are flat and don’t chaff in things like running tights (etc). In most garments, the use of an overlock seam (the one on the right) is not an issue with a few exceptions (most being athletic and some autism issues). In most factories, the machines sit right next to each other. Interlock machines are more expensive and some factories don’t have them because of the expense, but it’s more a designers choice as to whether or not they want to use them.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1377881
Oh man I’m glad you’re here, this is an interesting discussion. I fell in love with the brand because of the “layering”, it permeated through JE’s DNA for some time. You could rock a villain, with a Mercer underneath and if you were crafty a Mercer tank and they would layer perfectly. There was thought and purpose put into how things worked against each other. Every item was made with relation to the other. This layering motif was also seen in the cast 2 denim with the layered pockets and waist bands, in the shoes (high tops with the layered throat, the AF1 with the layered panels of leather/tongues, etc etc).
But now the thing that got them big, and peaked my interest, is gone. There aren’t layered portions in the denim, the made in house shoes are gone, and the shirts don’t layer well with the terry and outerwear. Now JE outer wear is hella cropped and if you wear an AE with a thumper it looks like you’re wearing a dress. ??‍♂️
I think seasons continue to have a “trend” or “idea” but they all seem like they are built as individual pieces rather than a whole like before.

Last edited:

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visually (I can’t hold these to tell you 100%) it appears the only difference between these two is the use of an interlock machine on the left and an over lock machine on the right (there’s also neck tape on the left but I’m assuming you’re pointing to the exposed seams). I know that they’ve marketed it as being revolutionary, but it’s just marketing. An interlock is generally used in athletic gear so the seams are flat and don’t chaff in things like running tights (etc). In most garments, the use of an overlock seam (the one on the right) is not an issue with a few exceptions (most being athletic and some autism issues). In most factories, the machines sit right next to each other. Interlock machines are more expensive and some factories don’t have them because of the expense, but it’s more a designers choice as to whether or not they want to use them.
You sound like someone that might know a thing or two ?

zabo358

Reaction score
Oh man I’m glad you’re here, this is an interesting discussion. I fell in love with the brand because of the “layering”, it permeated through JE’s DNA for some time. You could rock a villain, with a Mercer underneath and if you were crafty a Mercer tank and they would layer perfectly. There was thought and purpose put into how things worked against each other. Every item was made with relation to the other. This layering motif was also seen in the cast 2 denim with the layered pockets and waist bands, in the shoes (high tops with the layered throat, the AF1 with the layered panels of leather/tongues, etc etc).
But now the thing that got them big, and peaked my interest, is gone. There aren’t layered portions in the denim, the made in house shoes are gone, and the shirts don’t layer well with the terry and outerwear. Now JE outer wear is hella cropped and if you wear an AE with a thumper it looks like you’re wearing a dress. ??‍♂️
I think seasons continue to have a “trend” or “idea” but they all seem like they are built as individual pieces rather than a whole like before.
Not totally disagreeing on the AE point but I will say JE has shortened their AE’s the past few seasons (which I appreciate) making them much easier to layer under a thumper or a sly hem.

cjaz

Reaction score

Great insight. I don’t know anything about manufacturing processes and can only speak on the evolution with the brand from a visual standpoint.

Visually...the flash is clean inside and out. Sliding my arms through interlock stitching justifies the cost tremendously. Athletic purpose, or not, it just feels better. 7 years later, despite still opting to use interlock machines on the majority of hoodies since then, they opted not to for the beach hoodie. I have a hard time believing it’s design, or factory related, but maybe it is.

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great insight. I don’t know anything about manufacturing processes and can only speak on the evolution with the brand from a visual standpoint.

Visually...the flash is clean inside and out. Sliding my arms through interlock stitching justifies the cost tremendously. Athletic purpose, or not, it just feels better. 7 years later, despite still opting to use interlock machines on the majority of hoodies since then, they opted not to for the beach hoodie. I have a hard time believing it’s design, or factory related, but maybe it is.

I don’t mean to undermine your initial point, because from the outside, I think there is validity to it. I think they’ve had tremendous success as a brand and are in a phase where they’re working to increase their margins/grow which seems to have incorporated simultaneously cutting costs and increasing prices.

As for the flat lock machine, I’m personally not a fan of it aesthetically because, to me, it lends itself to a “tech” look that I don’t like. I think an overlock by itself or with a cover stitch is cleaner. But, everyone has their own preferences. If their use of that machine or your preference for that seam is what makes those pieces worth it to you, who am I to disagree?

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

While I'll choose not to get into every point here, because I have multiple times...the Beach Hoodie is 100% designed the way it is on purpose. The inside-out flat lock stitch is a design aesthetic specifically for slim-fit items, to make the seam flatter. You'll notice, we first stopped using it on design specific pieces when we introduced the Oversize Cropped Hoodie and Crewneck Pullover, which were intruduced on the runway in July 2015. It carries over in all items that have a more relaxed fit.

We are not cutting corners on anything - and are truly doing our best not only with the brand ethos but with our community during this time and always.

If you're interested in Spin Art on the Men's side, it's available here: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...opback-cotton-jersey-hoodie/14097096494276388

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the beach is really good if you size up

You don't have issues with sleeve length when sizing up? I know the sleeves are longer than other hoodies but I got an XL and there's hella stacks. I might post a pic and ask you what you think, you have a good eye for fits

cjaz

Reaction score
While I'll choose not to get into every point here, because I have multiple times...the Beach Hoodie is 100% designed the way it is on purpose. The inside-out flat lock stitch is a design aesthetic specifically for slim-fit items, to make the seam flatter. You'll notice, we first stopped using it on design specific pieces when we introduced the Oversize Cropped Hoodie and Crewneck Pullover, which were intruduced on the runway in July 2015. It carries over in all items that have a more relaxed fit.

We are not cutting corners on anything - and are truly doing our best not only with the brand ethos but with our community during this time and always.

If you're interested in Spin Art on the Men's side, it's available here: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...opback-cotton-jersey-hoodie/14097096494276388

Attached are the OS cropped hoodie and crew from season 7. I see that the entire inside isn’t flat, but the back of the neck, cuffs, and waist are. Maybe I’m mistaken on what flat lock stitching actually is, but I’m referring to the “flatness” of the stitch. I’m not here to cause problems and question the integrity of the brand. My closet is 99% je and I’ve been a loyal customer prior to the website days.

35B4F13C-7959-4F60-92E0-823BEB52CBB0.jpeg

578EA417-C9D2-4AAB-AA08-615A94AAB5E9.jpeg

2813E5C9-AD31-436A-B30F-365C0DA0BBB0.jpeg

isculpt

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why the beach hoodie's hood is so small? Thats my only real knock against it. It's almost purely decorative, which is kinda absurd for a "hoodie".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads