• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@whorishconsumer In the beginning the pinky toe got pinched and actually part of foot went numb over extended wear just on the foot (I'm sitting at the desk working at home most hours). I think it's better now especially hibernating with some shoetrees over the summer time. There's a nice amount of heel slip to allow my foot to move around without being loose if that makes sense.

It is a pair of 180s in pebbled ("caviar") grain black leather and rubber sole. Read a few posts above the rubber sole will make it even harder to break in.

To that end, it's not my first time breaking in a pair of shoes. And I know it's been shared about cobbler stretching the shoe width just a tad more. I just haven't had a lot of opportunity to attend to that. I am optimistic that with enough wears stomping outside they'll mold perfectly. Maybe I'm coping hard. Really just first world problems i.e., too much stuff and haven't had a chance to truly put some wear and rotate new shoes into the week.

FWIW I picked these up after missing out and thinking there's something better made than a pair of Lemaire split toe/piped slippers. I still stand by that and echo again how beautifully shaped the 180s are.

I feel you about having too many shoes. I'm constantly getting rid of stuff in an effort to let what I keep shine. But then I get more ****...

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent a bit of time yesterday at Weston Aoyama yesterday try shoes on. Was interesting given all the sizing nuances of the brand. I will say, my Japanese is in no way conversational but I suppose I know enough to talk about sizing and how things fit and feel. The real win for me was be able at least to talk to the associate (turns out manager, got his card) with enough language to not have too many mishaps or use google translate.

Told him my size (in cm) wore Alden’s, showed him that size. For record, I’m a 10D brannock although I do not like to wear my shoes tight (prefer cushy socks too) so I tend to favor wider lasts. He put me in an 8D Golf. Previously I had ordered from Paris directly and funny enough they put me in the same size. I mentioned this to him, so he had my try and 8E which fit much better and gave me the pinky toe room I like.

IMG_5245.jpeg

IMG_5246.jpeg

Pardon the huge cuffs I was in workwear mode lol.

I also wanted to try the 180 and he put me in an 8D as well. Felt very good initially, maybe some initial heel slip that I believe would resolve with break in as I wasn’t swimming in them. Only cause for concern was perhaps a taller instep on the 180 might require a small tongue pad (alternatively Alden LHS fits well cause it’s a low instep loafer) Don’t think sizing down would be a good idea.

IMG_5248.jpeg

Overall this gave me a really good idea of trying to size Weston since it was an actual boutique. Didn’t end up walking out with anything, but will most likely come back again just to try on again and make sure although I feel good about the sizing. Outside of going to Paris or another EU stockist, it was nice to come visit in Japan where Weston has a good network of dealers.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent a bit of time yesterday at Weston Aoyama yesterday try shoes on. Was interesting given all the sizing nuances of the brand. I will say, my Japanese is in no way conversational but I suppose I know enough to talk about sizing and how things fit and feel. The real win for me was be able at least to talk to the associate (turns out manager, got his card) with enough language to not have too many mishaps or use google translate.

Told him my size (in cm) wore Alden’s, showed him that size. For record, I’m a 10D brannock although I do not like to wear my shoes tight (prefer cushy socks too) so I tend to favor wider lasts. He put me in an 8D Golf. Previously I had ordered from Paris directly and funny enough they put me in the same size. I mentioned this to him, so he had my try and 8E which fit much better and gave me the pinky toe room I like.

View attachment 2070087

View attachment 2070089

I also wanted to try the 180 and he put me in an 8D as well. Felt very good initially, maybe some initial heel slip that I believe would resolve with break in as I wasn’t swimming in them. Only cause for concern was perhaps a taller instep on the 180 might require a small tongue pad (alternatively Alden LHS fits well cause it’s a low instep loafer) Don’t think sizing down would be a good idea.

View attachment 2070093

Overall this gave me a really good idea of trying to size Weston since it was an actual boutique. Didn’t end up walking out with anything, but will most likely come back again just to try on again and make sure although I feel good about the sizing. Outside of going to Paris or another EU stockist, it was nice to come visit in Japan where Weston has a good network of dealers.
The dark brown 180s look soooooooooo goood.

Louis_HK

Reaction score

View attachment 2070087

View attachment 2070089

View attachment 2070093

𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓲𝓷 𝓕𝓾𝓴𝓾𝓸𝓴𝓪

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hb20091

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking at the 300 oxford on sale and I see a size 8(UK 7) listed. Can anyone share how these run ? I'm at a size 7E-7.5D(US) usually in dress shoes so wondering if these are worth a try on.
Thanks

LHormander

Reaction score
Hi, I'm quite interested in buying JM Weston cap toe Oxford 300 model. The simplicity of it is quite appealing and perhaps makes them more versatile. The other options in my mind are George Cleverly Charles and EG Chelsea.

My priorities when buying shoes are- leather & build quality, ability to last long. JM Weston, I believe, excels in them both with flying colors. At the local store, I tried their cap top and shoes are pretty snug with tiny bit of heel slip in one shoes. So, I was wondering
- How much do JM Weston shoes stretch and mold to one's feet with use? (I've Vass which is fantastic in this sense)
- I'm assuming the tiny heel slip is due to rigid leather sole.
- Also, any opinions on their 300 model? Am I better off paying less for CJ, GC or P Sargent?

Thanks you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads