• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

bullethead

Reaction score
Wonder what colour did you choose? Did they email you with the colour samples?
I should have ordered the gator one last year when Euro was so low, now with the inflation
and the Euro going up, seems it's gonna be too much.
My initial pair was the golden brown. I did, however, switch to black on the second pair. Charlotte was kind enough to have them made in the large scales.

these are the options available. IIRC, the upcharge for the other colors and larger scales was 5400 euros.

i agree, with the euro at par last summer it was now or never for me.

Attachments

• F0A816E8-BB08-407B-8E6E-91CF24DE5F6B.jpeg
    F0A816E8-BB08-407B-8E6E-91CF24DE5F6B.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 114

MaE

Reaction score
Well, I usually am not a big fan of contrast stitching on loafers, but these look to be really nice and summery, congratulations!

By the way, did Weston change their shoetree design or are these the same than the older ones ? They somehow look different? Oh, and aren't they too small for this particular pair of 180 ?

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Well, I usually am not a big fan of contrast stitching on loafers, but these look to be really nice and summery, congratulations!

By the way, did Weston change their shoetree design or are these the same than the older ones ? They somehow look different? Oh, and aren't they too small for this particular pair of 180 ?
They change the shoe trees from hardwood to lime wood I think about a couple of years back.
These are the new one, seems it's too small, but the bottom part has filled the heel.
Weston shoe trees are infamous for their unconformity, now they are made in Slovakia,
which is a little smaller than the one made in France.

download (1).jpeg
download.jpeg

fwedo

Reaction score
Some of the new Weston shoe trees (those non-varnished trees) are made in France.

I have both (made in Slovenia and made in France). those made in Slovenia are quite smaller for the same size... Don't know why.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Some of the new Weston shoe trees (those non-varnished trees) are made in France.

I have both (made in Slovenia and made in France). those made in Slovenia are quite smaller for the same size... Don't know why.
Pardon moi, it's Slovenia. Even the old hardwood type got different measurement
at different times. I got a few of them from Mercari flea market(online) in Japan.
TTTT prefer the old style because they are adjustable and better made.
One more thing, the shoe tree got two widths, 180's last 041M and 041L,
M is the narrower width whilst L is the wide width for D/E/F width.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I was quite unimpressed by the lime wood shoe trees when visiting the Aoyama shop in Tokyo. They were very light but felt a bit insignificant. Asked the SA and was told they discontinued the previous ones and even he admitted they were better made and better fitting than the current ones. Although the weight of those were never good for frequent flyers / travelers who enjoy keeping lasted shoe trees in their shoes or luggage. Anyway, capitalism wins.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Yes I was quite unimpressed by the lime wood shoe trees when visiting the Aoyama shop in Tokyo. They were very light but felt a bit insignificant. Asked the SA and was told they discontinued the previous ones and even he admitted they were better made and better fitting than the current ones. Although the weight of those were never good for frequent flyers / travelers who enjoy keeping lasted shoe trees in their shoes or luggage. Anyway, capitalism wins.
That's what the Galeries Lafayette people told me, when they still have the old style but they
chose the new style for me because they said it's lighter and good for travelling. I still saw some good
nearly unused old style on Mercari a couple of days ago, but I got a few pairs from Decorum BKK last time.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Better made, better fitting, but we wanted to give you a cheaper product [for us] at an increased price."

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the 20% discounts flying around I couldn't resist ordering another pair of 180s to try, this time in black calf and a half step up from my present pair. I think I need a C fitting still, but we shall see.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
With all the 20% discounts flying around I couldn't resist ordering another pair of 180s to try, this time in black calf and a half step up from my present pair. I think I need a C fitting still, but we shall see.
It was even 300Euro off 900Euro purchase from 24S.com , but I really got too many pairs already.(That's a lie, I just couldn't find anything I like)😆

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was even 300Euro off 900Euro purchase from 24S.com , but I really got too many pairs already.(That's a lie, I just couldn't find anything I like)😆

That's where I picked my pair up from. Although for US it converted to close to 900 USD.

My size 10s are going to be shooting jealous looks when they come back from being stretched at the cobbler.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
That's where I picked my pair up from. Although for US it converted to close to 900 USD.

My size 10s are going to be shooting jealous looks when they come back from being stretched at the cobbler.
What works for me is , I put a pair of thick socks on the shoetree and force them into the shoes, they will stretch nicely in a couple of days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads