• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

His old prices typically run North of 250k jpy.

However, given he is relocating to Canada, Toronto, I've no idea how much he'll change once he's based there :)

Moving to Canada eh? :wow:
I wonder what kind of a story is behind his decision to base his shoemaking practice in Toronto.

borbor

Reaction score
Did someone say koji endo is moving to Toronto???

Better lock my wallet up and toss the keys away

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moving to Canada eh? :wow:
I wonder what kind of a story is behind his decision to base his shoemaking practice in Toronto.

Did someone say koji endo is moving to Toronto???

Better lock my wallet up and toss the keys away

Haha. Promised him I wouldn't divulge the why, but all I can say is that it's really not too hard to guess. :)

Separately, I suppose there's a dearth (relatively) of good shoemakers in the North Americas.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha. Promised him I wouldn't divulge the why, but all I can say is that it's really not too hard to guess. :)

Separately, I suppose there's a dearth (relatively) of good shoemakers in the North Americas.

Hope this means trunk shows to the US......

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last adjustment, but really quite close to bespoke for me.
biggrin.gif

Laughed a bit when I saw that Jesper from shoegazing had his name on the last too!

Haha so it's both our names on those lasts? We really are feet twins officially now :D

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha yes. Zoom in on the last picture I posted. Not sure if you had any or the same adjustments though.

Ah I saw it now
biggrin.gif

Exciting prospects for the both of you: Now you can borrow each other's shoes. - That should save a bit of money!
biggrin.gif

I know, it's perfect. And since Stefan works in a very well-stocked shoe store whenever I wonder about sizes of brands I'm not sure of I have him go try them on
smile.gif

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Japan this week, and my first workshop visit was at Clematis Ginza. Really impressed with the shoes, and Keitaro Takano and his closer Chiemi Chiba are lovely people. Don't have to much time to upload phtotos, most will probably come on my blog eventually, but here's some at least. First a few of bespoke samples:

Clematis new RTW shoes, made in Japan by Joe Works. Looked nice, will be sold at Isetan next year.

Keitaro Takano in the workshop:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know, it's perfect. And since Stefan works in a very well-stocked shoe store whenever I wonder about sizes of brands I'm not sure of I have him go try them on :)

...as if you "needed" any more shoes in your life or racks ;)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...as if you "needed" any more shoes in your life or racks
wink.gif

Hehe, as if you should.. :)

The sole stitch on Takano-sans shoes is sick. Believe he uses a pricking tool?

Yeah, when he wants, he does some impressive sole stitching. He use a stitch prick yes. I asked him about the spi on the dark navy full brogues, but he didn't know, told me he just does it by feeling.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, when he wants, he does some impressive sole stitching. He use a stitch prick yes. I asked him about the spi on the dark navy full brogues, but he didn't know, told me he just does it by feeling.

Nice! I've been told that most of the old masters ...the Elder Shoe Gods...did it by eye as well. 18spi (at one time considered "average" for outsole stitching) to 64spi.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bunch of pictures of my pair from Hiro Yanagimachi. They are MTO on his new international last, and since that is made after the feet of @Stefan88 who as mentioned above basically is my feet twin, the fit is great. Hiro's MTO shoes are made to the same standard as his bespoke shoes, just on standard lasts (semi bespoke is also available). The level of craftsmanship is superb.

Hiro's international last is very well balanced IMO:

Tapered heel:

Hiro does a real blind welted bevelled waist:

The shoe trees are made in a Japanese factory:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.