• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen update

water

Reaction score
It's rather thin but not so that the color of your body shows through. I personally hate that - what's the use of having a thin shirt on and then have to wear a undershirt to keep it from getting a pink tint?

I feel the same way Bjorn, which is part of the reason I was wondering about your feelings on the fabric. I may place an order for this one since I am trying to get a few new colours into my shirt collection.

water

Reaction score
Well, I received my latest Jantzen order today (three shirts) and have to say I am pretty disappointed with a couple of mistakes they made.

One of the shirts did not have self colour button holes (which I requested). This is not an overly big deal, as it looks okay even though it is not exactly what I wanted.

The big disappointment for me was the set-in collar stays on the other two shirts. I hate set-in collar stays. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but it is one of those little pet peeves that needles at me.

I am wondering if a local tailor should be able to make them removable? It looks like it will only require a small cut on the fabric and the addition of collar stays.

Does Ricky offer discounts on subsequent orders when he makes mistakes like this?

regularjoe

Reaction score
Well, I received my latest Jantzen order today (three shirts) and have to say I am pretty disappointed with a couple of mistakes they made.
Just a question: did you fax the order in or use the form on the web-site?

water

Reaction score
Web site. And this was my fourth order. My first two were flawless, the third had wrong colour monograms, and then this one.

The wrong colour monograms did not bother me greatly but, as I said earlier, the collar stay mistake on this one bugs me a lot. Hopefully my local tailor can fix it tomorrow.

water

Reaction score
Well, the tailor would have to do more work than I am looking to have done in order to make the collar stays removable.

I wonder if I ask Ricky to send me replacement collars and have them switched locally? Thoughts?

justbrowsing

Reaction score
water, sorry to hear about your problems - it wouldn't hurt to ask about getting new collars sent to you. Let us know if it works out.

I just received my second shirt (it only took about 3 weeks) and I think the fit is nearly perfect this time. Unfortunately I ordered 7.25" cuffs (+.25" for a watch) and received 8.5" and 8.75" cuffs. It sounds like there are some quality control issues at Jantzen. Hopefully I can move the buttons without the cuffs looking too bad. As much as I like the shirt, the stories of (usually small) errors in a number of orders is making me think twice about making any large purchases.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is odd to hear about these errors. But I really am not all that concerned. Even if 1 out of my 11 shirts has an error, that is not that big of a deal.

How do you know that the cuffs are incorrectly sized? Although you put down a 7.25" wrist measurement, that doesn't mean that the actual circumfrence of the fabric will be 7.25". It would actually be something closer to 8.5" or even a bit more, I'd think.

justbrowsing

Reaction score
How do you know that the cuffs are incorrectly sized? Although you put down a 7.25" wrist measurement, that doesn't mean that the actual circumfrence of the fabric will be 7.25". It would actually be something closer to 8.5" or even a bit more, I'd think.
Mea culpa, they aren't off by as much as I thought. I just measured my first shirt. My first order was with a 7" wrist and I got 7.75", which was a tad more snug than I wanted. Asking for a .25" increase got me and extra .75" though. Now I don't know if it was the first order or second order that got screwed up. Can someone measure their (barrel) cuff and let me know how much larger than the measured wrist size is correct? Thanks.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's say they both got screwed up and were exactly .25" off, in opposite directions. That makes the error seem less aggregious.
biggrin.gif

justbrowsing

Reaction score
I suppose +/- .25" is one way to look at it. Let me be clear - this shirt still fits far better than anything else in my closet. Every day I wear shirts that are off by a lot more in some dimension or other. I guess I'm just so happy with the fit otherwise that the cuff thing seems like a bigger problem than it really is. I really do like the shirt.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads