• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Bond Trailer SKYFALL- Tom Ford wardrobe

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't oppose cuffed pants per se, I think they look great in more casual outfits. However with slim, simple single breasted suits such as the ones worn by Bond in this film, the cuffed pants look bad, in my opinion. Clashes with the simplicity of the jacket. Hence my surprise that no one in 16 pages voiced a dislike for them in this context. Everyone was too distracted by the overly tight david beckham fit of the jacket.

Ah, fair enough. I think that's mostly because given the egregious fit issues, the choice of cuff pales in comparison. I wouldn't have chosen a cuff for those suits, but then I wouldn't have chosen those suits to begin with :)

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of this particular suit, 60 were made. 30 for DC and 30 for his stunt double. Some with extra distressing, blood, etc. Some with padding for specific stunts (you can see the knee and elbow pads in the pic) and some with longer sleeves for riding the bike. And presumably some in different sizes, like with the pea coat.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this comment has been made prior but I have only thumbed thru a few posts, being lazy...has anyone stopped to think that the cut of the suit is in no way shape or form marketed to styleforum.net? Superheroes have skintight costumes...Bond is a mortal version of a superhero. Perhaps the tight fit is a way of recreating the superman costume with a suit, so to speak. Plus, DC is pretty jacked and they wanted to bring in the female viewers by showing off his physique (have you noticed in every movie he's shirtless in at least one scene?). Maybe the costume designer wanted to show that the "old" agent could wear a younger cut - a common theme in the movie, old vs new. I bet that a majority of people probably didn't even notice any details other than the simple fact that Bond is wearing a suit. What % of the population a) knows who Tom Ford is, or b) knows that Tom Ford did these suits? My guess is <10% for both.

On the flipside, if you think Bond's suits are too tight, are you head over heels about Ralph Fiennes' attire? He appeared to have a much more traditional cut, including the scene when he is warning M where he has on some pretty full cut, higher waisted pants with braces.

sorry if this is snarky. threads like this crack me up.

Last edited:

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

high repetition cutting exercises to heavy weight bulking ones.

Totally a topic for another thread, but this is total BS. Also, much of the initial weight loss on a cut is water weight plus a combination of fat and muscle. If you lose 10lbs of actual muscle on a cut, you did something wrong.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Fiennes's wardrobe looked fabulous.
ETA: And apparently others do too:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/322588/ralph-feinnes-wardrobe-in-skyfall

+1. *Those* were nice suits.

In regards to why we care, because a) this is a menswear forum, and b) it's a film in a series long noted for its sartorial aspects, for good and bad. The suits worn in Bond films have been an item of discussion for decades; these simply happen to be worse than the last several films. Only partly because of the aggressively slim styling, but also because irrespective of the styling, they don't fit him.

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I apologize if this comment has been made prior but I have only thumbed thru a few posts, being lazy...has anyone stopped to think that the cut of the suit is in no way shape or form marketed to styleforum.net? Superheroes have skintight costumes...Bond is a mortal version of a superhero. Perhaps the tight fit is a way of recreating the superman costume with a suit, so to speak. Plus, DC is pretty jacked and they wanted to bring in the female viewers by showing off his physique (have you noticed in every movie he's shirtless in at least one scene?). Maybe the costume designer wanted to show that the "old" agent could wear a younger cut - a common theme in the movie, old vs new. I bet that a majority of people probably didn't even notice any details other than the simple fact that Bond is wearing a suit. What % of the population a) knows who Tom Ford is, or b) knows that Tom Ford did these suits? My guess is <10% for both.
On the flipside, if you think Bond's suits are too tight, are you head over heels about Ralph Fiennes' attire? He appeared to have a much more traditional cut, including the scene when he is warning M where he has on some pretty full cut, higher waisted pants with braces.
sorry if this is snarky. threads like this crack me up.
Take a glance at the entire thread. It covers most of what you mentioned above.

At the end of the day, a collar gap and monster pulling on a bespoke TF suit is laughable considering what went into the OConner's production. TF himself said the suite was MADE for Craig and that Craig had extensive feedback in it's design. One would think Fords tailors could fit him at least decently.

BTW, Craig is in shape but he is not jacked to the level where OTR is out of the question, simple put, he's not unfitable.. He's got the physique of any gym rat with average genetics who diets and trains seriously.

I'd be pissed if I was TF. Collar gaps on a 5k suit, LOL.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@frankie and aravenel- fair enough. So an add- on to my "how many people know TF" point...i wonder what Tom's take is on the outcome? And would enough people say, upon seeing the suit and looking up the maker, damn that is a nice suit I should buy one, that it makes up for the forum people who are turned off by a handful of details and would therefore not make a purchase? Would be an interesting study.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@frankie and aravenel- fair enough. So an add- on to my "how many people know TF" point...i wonder what Tom's take is on the outcome?

I would really like to know this. I mean, he obviously had some input here, so you'd think he knew what they looked like... But from what I know of him (and it's admittedly not much), he seems to really sweat the details, so it seems so strange that he would approve of missing a detail so important as MAKING SURE IT FITS.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@frankie and aravenel- fair enough. So an add- on to my "how many people know TF" point...i wonder what Tom's take is on the outcome? And would enough people say, upon seeing the suit and looking up the maker, damn that is a nice suit I should buy one, that it makes up for the forum people who are turned off by a handful of details and would therefore not make a purchase? Would be an interesting study.
Most normal folks probably wont notice...problem is, the folks who can afford 5k suits might notice, and even if they don't, perhaps they notice once they become more educated about how a proper suit should fit and they are then turned off by the brand. Ford might not continue to get critical acclaim from those in the know and often times those folks are the ones who guide the sheep if you know what I mean.
I would really like to know this. I mean, he obviously had some input here, so you'd think he knew what they looked like... But from what I know of him (and it's admittedly not much), he seems to really sweat the details, so it seems so strange that he would approve of missing a detail so important as MAKING SURE IT FITS.
Ford is a perfectionist. In one of his interviews he mentions his clothing OCD even as a young child. Ford use to obsess about the shape of the toe of the shoes his mother bought him. Analyze every aspect of his clothing, etc. Further, he used to rearrange the furniture of his home when his parents were away, and takes up to 6 baths a day where he thinks about his collections. To your point about details and approving fits, I think Ford was less hands on this time out. Most likely delegated to others and viola, crap fits.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally a topic for another thread, but this is total BS. Also, much of the initial weight loss on a cut is water weight plus a combination of fat and muscle. If you lose 10lbs of actual muscle on a cut, you did something wrong.

Compare his size in CR to his size in QoS, he is visibly smaller. Also about what i said being "Total BS" I've worked with personal trainers in 3 countries none who have had contact with each other, some of whom used to compete professionally in bodybuilding who would disagree with you. Maybe if you are naturally heavier ok i can see that not working but for people with a slim frame like myself where everything is basically muscle, if you stop working out or even switch to a more cross fit type of routine you will lose size. Done it myself i switched trainers from one who was focused on putting on a lot of size to one who was more of a cross fit type of routine still working out 5 days a week and dropped from 180 down to 165. I wasn't able to bench press 300 pounds anymore and actually even had trouble doing a 1 rep 200 come to think about it , but i could do pull ups, push ups, and sit-ups like there was no tomorrow.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a glance at the entire thread. It covers most of what you mentioned above.

At the end of the day, a collar gap and monster pulling on a bespoke TF suit is laughable considering what went into the OConner's production. TF himself said the suite was MADE for Craig and that Craig had extensive feedback in it's design. One would think Fords tailors could fit him at least decently.

BTW, Craig is in shape but he is not jacked to the level where OTR is out of the question, simple put, he's not unfitable..  He's got the physique of any gym rat with average genetics who diets and trains seriously.

I'd be pissed if I was TF. Collar gaps on a 5k suit, LOL.

Whats laughable is that we have seen Daniel Craig in previous bond films wearing properly fitted suits so we know that its possible for them to do it, its just that they decided not too for this film.

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted before - the costume designer's "mantra" was "iconic for 2012" (whereas QOS and CR's suits and dinner attire were decidedly more "timeless")
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/james-bonds-closet-hits-lot-timeless-17687696#.UKR2z4bAETA
"In my first meeting with Daniel, he told me what he wanted: He wanted slim-fitting clothing that was easy to move (in), but I also got the feeling he wanted a slightly '60s look," Temime says.
Her Mantra should have been the above minus the newbie gaffs like collar gaps and the X Men symbol at the waist
teacha.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads