• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

oudwood

Reaction score
Well, today was a victory. I was able to track down a frame that I've been really wanting, the Devaux in Beluga! I stopped by a local AD and off-the-cuff asked if they have any Devaux in stock. They said only had an optical in stock.. my reaction was probably embarrassing haha. The Devaux was at one of their other locations, so they transferred it to my local store and the rest is history!

Now the only thing that remains is to get the original beluga sunglass lenses in! Really hoping JMM will just sell them to me, I'm really not sure why they wouldn't.

1000011542.png

oudwood

Reaction score
Now if I could somehow track down a Schindler in Vintage Tort.. then I would be absolutely beside myself haha

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, today was a victory. I was able to track down a frame that I've been really wanting, the Devaux in Beluga! I stopped by a local AD and off-the-cuff asked if they have any Devaux in stock. They said only had an optical in stock.. my reaction was probably embarrassing haha. The Devaux was at one of their other locations, so they transferred it to my local store and the rest is history!

Now the only thing that remains is to get the original beluga sunglass lenses in! Really hoping JMM will just sell them to me, I'm really not sure why they wouldn't.

View attachment 2153197
They cut lenses in their Venice store so I don’t see why not.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That group is indeed trash lol. Come and join JMM underground for a real quality FB page where collectors buy trade and sell. I’m sure anyone who’s in this forum and in the fb group will vouch on how I ran that group. It’s a strong and tight ship as some other members have referred us to.

It would be interesting, if you could tell something more about the whole story and why the JMM Enthusiasts is trash and your group is better, in which way a buy/sell experience differs.

doofalb

Reaction score
Recently scored a Cody, so here we go:

This has been asked before, but I am interested if there is an update in terms of recommendations for a reasonably, or even well priced, online place to shop for prescription lenses (progressive & transition).
I used the previously recommended Zoomer before and the price was just ok (as in: could have probably gotten that locally) while the lenses themselves scratch super easily. So not going back there.

Thank you!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2153197

Glad you could finally get your coveted frame. I think that the brown lenses in the sunglass version are a nice combination, but you could as well have generic lenses in that exact tone, as in any case the model won't be an "original" (having different lenses than those originally put in).

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Recently scored a Cody, so here we go:

This has been asked before, but I am interested if there is an update in terms of recommendations for a reasonably, or even well priced, online place to shop for prescription lenses (progressive & transition).
I used the previously recommended Zoomer before and the price was just ok (as in: could have probably gotten that locally) while the lenses themselves scratch super easily. So not going back there.

Thank you!

Interested to hear thoughts about this as well. I wear progressive lenses. My prescription is mild to moderate.

I’ve tried Zoomer a few times, but they recently switched lenses to their in house brand which doesn’t seem as nice as the Shamir Autograph lenses they used previously. Cost around $350-400 for their highest quality clear lenses depending on sales.

I’ve tried Replacement Lens Express, but just for transition-type lenses. Seemed okay, but I ended up not wearing them much. Cheaper than Zoomer, probably around $250. Quality seemed good. Again, I didn’t wear them much.

I’ve also tried my local Costco. The lenses are polarized sunglasses in a Moscot frame. Seems okay but I mostly use them for outdoor activities. A little cheaper than RLE.

I don’t buy many frames, and when I do I try to use my insurance for the lenses. But, like many, that’s only available once a year.

I struggle with buying frames that cost close to $1,000 then worry about putting in crappy lenses. My local shop still provides the best lenses, at the highest cost, although maybe it’s all in my head. I’m sure fitting and measurements play into it as well.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigars seem to be trendy these days, they certainly add to the vibe.

A guy looking good in his Felson.

Screenshot (1433).png

By the way, I never smoked in my life and wouldn't even do for the purpose to look cool.

JessBob

Reaction score
Anyone have both Hickory and London and can tell me the difference in brown in real life? (not hickory fade)

London seems more muted, and to my very untrained eye, leans slightly closer to a dark purple than the hickory

Not the best photo, and no idea where the white flecks come from (maybe my camera lens is dirty?), but here's both (london above)

Attachments

• london_hickory.png
    london_hickory.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 96

thass_hot

Reaction score
London seems more muted, and to my very untrained eye, leans slightly closer to a dark purple than the hickory

Not the best photo, and no idea where the white flecks come from (maybe my camera lens is dirty?), but here's both (london above)
Hi! Name of the model on top please? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads