• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
What brands was Jerome referring to in his interview with Seen that copy JMM?

I’ve been getting a bunch more T Henri ads served up to me, and it’s obvious some of their acetate styles are a big rip off of JMM, but not as well done, at least as far as I can see.
I have not heard the interview you refer to, but if Jerome is playing the card that other brands are copying JMM, then he is being an egotistical douchebag, considering everything he releases is a friggin homage to something from the past. I'm almost over all this rubbish, get a grip mate!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not heard the interview you refer to, but if Jerome is playing the card that other brands are copying JMM, then he is being an egotistical douchebag, considering everything he releases is a friggin homage to something from the past. I'm almost over all this rubbish, get a grip mate!

Yes, I said it myself, all classic styles have been designed many decades ago and Jerome's creations are just a reinterpretation of them. I will acknowledge though that some of them with good reason can be considered new classics, I think of models like Fellini, Enzo, Devaux, Yves, Jax, Pasolini.

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you should. It’s pretty good. Helps you understand where he’s coming from. Dude is really a pie in the sky designer. Thinks much differently than us dudes who sit in front of our screens a lot and spend time on SF. It’s one thing to reimagine previous designs, and it’s another to copy.

Aroma

Reaction score
I was just contacted today that the Mojave from the LF V collection is now available at JMM galleries, along with a couple of new Ascaris. Contact Janelle at JMM-Venice gallery if interested in anything in the attached photos
Did no one catch the Mojave in clear ?? That wasn’t in the catalogue for upcoming LF-V colors. I think it’s super cool they made a clear LF

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you should. It’s pretty good. Helps you understand where he’s coming from. Dude is really a pie in the sky designer. Thinks much differently than us dudes who sit in front of our screens a lot and spend time on SF. It’s one thing to reimagine previous designs, and it’s another to copy.

Tareq

Speaking of changes, it's fair to say since 2014 you've changed the eyewear game. How does that make you feel?

Jerome

I'm not very focused on that part. I'm mostly focused on the next 10 years.

Tareq

…but you must be aware of the impact you've had.

Jerome
I'm aware because there are so many companies that copy me! And I would say in a heartless, disgraceful manner. Especially the last year, it's been a bit hard to see; it's a bitter pill to swallow. If you are inspired by our work, or if it motivates you to do a better job for yourself, that's one thing. But there are many companies now that absolutely don't care; it's just imitation. So yes, of course, it's a form of flattery. Fine. I get it. It makes me quite aware of our place in the industry. But that's not my focus. I got to where I am by not focusing on what other people do.

At the moment, I'm entirely focusing on continuing to reinvent JMM, and we're going to do that. We have a lot of projects in the next two years, and my idea is to be in a very different place.

Boohoo Jerome?

Tareq

So do you think of yourself as an eyewear brand now, or are you transcended into a fashion brand, or is it just...

Jerome

We're not fashion. I don't do fashion. You know, fashion is one season you're Tropical Tokyo, and the next season you're Berlin Bauhaus. That's not what I do. I don't do fashion. I don't try to do it.

I don't like to pretend we're fashion, and I'm not interested in making Jacques Marie Mage a fashion brand at all. I think, if you ask me, we make heirloom type of objects that are very personal to people. They are luxury objects that you'd like to pass on, intimate objects that you wear on your skin, that are collectable. If you ask me what Jacques Marie Mage maybe could be, maybe it could be what you put on your face, what you put on your hands, what you put in your pocket, you know?

Tareq

Sorry, I knew fashion was a bad word!

Sounds exactly like us SF nerds who think we're not into "fashion".

obecity

Reaction score
IK,R (I know, right)? Yeah so no. Now, just hear me out on this, ok? In my opinion (which most people on this electronic bulletin board seem to respect), the JMM (Jacque Marie Mage) product is high quality and timeless. They can be heirlooms for sure. Sadly, I think the brand’s success has gone to JJ’s (Jerome the Jerk’s) head, as evidenced by the horridly unfair price increases and his arrogance that goes beyond what I would typically expect from a Parisian (no offense to all my Parisian homies who are reading). I am still a fan of the brand, but I am upset by all the the attention it’s getting from all the Hollyweird and entertainment industry nogoodniks. All the attention has changed the vibe. The brand seems to put on such a disingenuous air now. I’ve been around since oh about page 400 (and my first purchase was far before that), and I wish it were the more obscure brand it once was—almost an underground where the really cool people on the edge like us were in the know. With all my respect, I still love the brand. Unfortunately, being on fixed income, I can only buy if I’m lucky enough to find a deal. In the meantime, I’ll have to wait for the prices to come down to the levels when I first discovered the brand.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IK,R (I know, right)? Yeah so no. Now, just hear me out on this, ok? In my opinion (which most people on this electronic bulletin board seem to respect), the JMM (Jacque Marie Mage) product is high quality and timeless. They can be heirlooms for sure. Sadly, I think the brand’s success has gone to JJ’s (Jerome the Jerk’s) head, as evidenced by the horridly unfair price increases and his arrogance that goes beyond what I would typically expect from a Parisian (no offense to all my Parisian homies who are reading). I am still a fan of the brand, but I am upset by all the the attention it’s getting from all the Hollyweird and entertainment industry nogoodniks. All the attention has changed the vibe. The brand seems to put on such a disingenuous air now. I’ve been around since oh about page 400 (and my first purchase was far before that), and I wish it were the more obscure brand it once was—almost an underground where the really cool people on the edge like us were in the know. With all my respect, I still love the brand. Unfortunately, being on fixed income, I can only buy if I’m lucky enough to find a deal. In the meantime, I’ll have to wait for the prices to come down to the levels when I first discovered the brand.
My guy, your posts are a struggle to digest at best. Please either use abbreviations or not at all, using both is just horrible to read.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what’s your point?
I believe he doesn't think that different from us armchair warriors based on that interview.

Jerome is into fashion(s), despite his protests.

He also enjoys collecting things, and getting frustrated that others are copying him.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
Jerome is into fashion(s), despite his protests.
Whether he chooses to be believe what he preaches or not, the brand has placed itself beneath one big umbrella satisfying fashionistas in the highest order of society. So how is that not being a fashion brand? Pffft!

joseph240

Reaction score
Whether he chooses to be believe what he preaches or not, the brand has placed itself beneath one big umbrella satisfying fashionistas in the highest order of society. So how is that not being a fashion brand? Pffft!
I think his main point is that he is into timeless design influenced by the seventies and eighties and not into seasonal fashion that he detests.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
After watching the recent interview with Jerome, I couldn’t help but notice how his demeanor has changed since the last time I saw him a few years ago. He seems to have developed an air of confidence, bordering on cockiness. While it’s true that other brands have emulated his distinctive style, this is par for the course when you’re a major player in the industry. Influence begets imitation, and that’s hardly a revelation.

Cutler and Gross, in particular, have drawn inspiration from Jerome’s aesthetic, albeit with their own twist. But honestly, it’s not a groundbreaking development. In the world of fashion, ideas circulate, evolve, and sometimes overlap. It’s part of the creative ecosystem.

As for THenri, their marketing approach may bear similarities to JMM’s, but that’s hardly a crime. JMM’s success has left an indelible mark, and other brands naturally draw from that well of inspiration. However, I also sense a lack of fresh direction from Jerome himself. The recent designs strike me as somewhat lackluster.

And let’s address the elephant in the room: the vintage frames. Devaux, in particular, stands out as a clear copy from a vintage frame. If you browse sites like Giglamps, you’ll find a plethora of JMM shapes. It’s time for Jerome to step down from his high horse and reinvent the brand. After all, stagnation is the enemy of creativity.

Kudos to the interviewer for maintaining professionalism throughout the conversation.

Attachments

• ac9145a88ba3c3cbb484d7b4c3483440.jpg
    ac9145a88ba3c3cbb484d7b4c3483440.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

maxwerks

Reaction score
Sigh.. I got my package today with 3 frames in it:

* Vendome Camel
* Julien Dahlia
* Molino Ocre

I was very very certain that I was going to go with the Vendomes in camel, adding in brown sunglass lenses. They are such a beautiful frame but they appear pretty orange on my face, but they also just look huge! I think they look so bold right now because of the demo RX lenses.

I never wanted the Dahlia color for the Julien, nor the Molino. I just wanted to see the Julien shape and Ocre color. My ideal would be Julien in Ocre ! Miraculously, Visionist just stocked a random Julien in Ocre a few days ago.. So I picked it up!

Now my dilemma is the Vendôme Camel.. it's heartbreaking to think to send them back. They are such a unique and classy piece. I think I have 7 days to return them, but it's not enough time to get a brown lense in them to see their full potential. No idea what to do.

The budget says I can't get both the Vendôme and the Julien haha. What to do. Hopefully the Juliens come fast and I can then do a direct comparison.
can you post a picture of the Vendome in Camel

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads