• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was considering the Godard, but switched to and ordered the Picabia instead, Colosseum colourway. I had the occasion to try them on and they are gorgeous and spot on as for the size.

Screenshot (1246).png

oudwood

Reaction score
so are you keeping them or letting go ?

You quoted the wrong guy! Haha. Well, it's a tragic story. I ended up sending them back because I was leaving for a vacation and my mind wasn't made up. I had them as opticals so it was difficult to envision what custom brown lenses would have looked like on-face. With the clear demo lenses, they were just straight orange on a pale, white face lol. I partially sent them back because I had thought that they would be waiting for me when I got back. Wrong! I just got back from said vacation, and I go to contact the store and they told me they sold them as soon as they got them back in.. and that is the end of this tragic story. I haven't seen them anywhere else for sale. I think I may have missed out on this one unfortunately. Who knows maybe a Vendôme in vintage tort will release at some point... one can hope.

oudwood

Reaction score
I wish I had been aware of the brand and around for when the Devaux in Beluga was released.. Wow, what a frame! Does anyone have this frame in their collection? Or any Devaux? I feel like I don't see a lot of love for that frame.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had been aware of the brand and around for when the Devaux in Beluga was released.. Wow, what a frame! Does anyone have this frame in their collection? Or any Devaux? I feel like I don't see a lot of love for that frame.

The Devaux is a great frame, very distinctive and classic, as I see. It's relatively small, that being probably the reason that it doesn't get much attention, but it's really unique and bold.

I have it in the Whiskey and Dark Havana colourways. Of course, I wish I could spot a Vintage Tort, sometimes.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Devaux is one of the oldest classic frames in the JMM catalogue, it used to go by a different name Loewy back in the day. There was also a Montblanc version with metal nose pads IIRC. It is chunky and very sharp in person on its edges despite being somewhat of a rounded front on view. Def one of the more imposing frames in darker colors for me. In the lighter ones I liked it quite a bit. In retrospect wish I had bought them a couple years back, but that’s the JMM game.

oudwood

Reaction score
Devaux is one of the oldest classic frames in the JMM catalogue, it used to go by a different name Loewy back in the day. There was also a Montblanc version with metal nose pads IIRC. It is chunky and very sharp in person on its edges despite being somewhat of a rounded front on view. Def one of the more imposing frames in darker colors for me. In the lighter ones I liked it quite a bit. In retrospect wish I had bought them a couple years back, but that’s the JMM game.

In Marigold it's fire! Some part of me wish that JMM would do some re-releases so that others could catch previous iterations of the frames. But at the same time, it would take away from the exclusivity.

I have pretty pale skin, I've always been told that I should stick to brown based frames. I really want a black pair of sunglasses though, just one. And I really want that one to be Devaux in Beluga.. I could also make my one black pair an Enzo too..

There is a Devaux in black with brown frames coming out in April of this year. I love everything about it, but not the exposed wirecore. They would be an instant buy if they didn't have them.. sigh. I guess I wait for another type/name of black!

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
In Marigold it's fire! Some part of me wish that JMM would do some re-releases so that others could catch previous iterations of the frames. But at the same time, it would take away from the exclusivity.

I have pretty pale skin, I've always been told that I should stick to brown based frames. I really want a black pair of sunglasses though, just one. And I really want that one to be Devaux in Beluga.. I could also make my one black pair an Enzo too..

There is a Devaux in black with brown frames coming out in April of this year. I love everything about it, but not the exposed wirecore. They would be an instant buy if they didn't have them.. sigh. I guess I wait for another type/name of black!
That's interesting. I never noticed the name change myself. I wonder why they changed it?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look great on you. Marigold is a gorgeous colourway, on par with Vintage Tort.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel you, I'd also wish they would reissue some models in a certain colourway, but they won't, because it would contradict their philosophy.

That's interesting. I never noticed the name change myself. I wonder why they changed it?

I think having read for legal reasons. Loewy was a designer, possibly his heirs have sued JMM. Maybe also the reason for which the Dealan is spelled that way, instead of Dylan, and Molino not Mollino.

Last edited:

TR14

Reaction score
I have been restraining myself from buying the Devaux in marquina from my local retailer for weeks now. This current discourse is making it even harder.

oudwood

Reaction score
I have been restraining myself from buying the Devaux in marquina from my local retailer for weeks now. This current discourse is making it even harder.

Oh, hey bud! What local retailer is this? Haha

Asking for a friend.

TR14

Reaction score
Oh, hey bud! What local retailer is this? Haha

Asking for a friend.
Lol! Canadian retailer. G is for Glasses. Link will be Canadian dollars. They also have the Loewy in Wax.

Please save me from myself.

oudwood

Reaction score
Lol! Canadian retailer. G is for Glasses. Link will be Canadian dollars. They also have the Loewy in Wax.

Please save me from myself.

Haha thank you! Need to think this one through..

It's frustrating that Google doesn't bring up these when I search (based on the US). When I was in Europe I found new stores too with desirable frames in stock. Makes me wonder if there are online stores that have Devaux in Beluga... Marquina is a good second option. If it had gold tones instead of silver, I would instantly buy.

TR14

Reaction score
Haha thank you! Need to think this one through..

It's frustrating that Google doesn't bring up these when I search (based on the US). When I was in Europe I found new stores too with desirable frames in stock. Makes me wonder if there are online stores that have Devaux in Beluga... Marquina is a good second option. If it had gold tones instead of silver, I would instantly buy.
No problem at all! I know this online store is still relatively new- maybe started late 2023. Their brick and mortar location has been around for a decade.

Yes, the gold accents would be a nice touch.

I have the Enzo is marquina. Big fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads