• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

JessBob

Reaction score
Actually, the full video for Illicit is on the main page. No need to visit the lookbook unless you're short on time

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha no we had this discussion on Golden Globe night on a different forum. if it's the same frame he was wearing then, it's Oliver Peoples though it did look like JMMs to some (my newbie eyes included). someone pointed out they were OP and another person copy/pasted the tweet that OP sent out claiming PP, Billy Eilish and others for the night

The interesting thing about OP doing these JMM looking glasses is that it looks like they're adding the metal cap to the arm to prevent the wirecore from oxidizing:

https://www.oliverpeoples.com/usa/0OV5514SU--172452#

1705695825717.png

JessBob

Reaction score
Research has thought me that a small brand in its first few years produces between 60 and 250 pieces per style. This is usually broken down into roughly 30-50 pieces per colour. I listened to an interview with Katy Vada recently who backed this up. A medium sized brand produces around 450-500 pieces per style per season so in actual fact Jaques Marie Mage are producing a lot of frames, it's just they were the first brand to start numbering them. In my opinion collectors should be more focused on collecting the frames instead of looking at the numbers on the side because the numbers mean nothing. What's great about JMM is that they design a frame and a year later it's gone. I'd love to get my hands on a Felix but it's been gone for years. Only available secondhand at an overinflated price on Ebay.

Interesting you mention the Felix. Had never heard of it before, but so happens that I came across not one, but TWO, Felix in a retail shop earlier today. There was a Felix Carmine in a drawer and a Felix Taupe on a display case shelf 😅🤣

Very interesting circular shape that reminded me somewhat of my Ripleys

So they ARE still out there, just not at online shops

Attachments

• felix_carmine.jpg
    felix_carmine.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 133
  • felix_taupe.jpg
    felix_taupe.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 153

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Which model would you recommend for a narrow face?
Assuming you're looking at acetate models, this is where I would start:

Good for a narrow face:
Deveaux/Loewy
Zepherin 44
Kellerman (if you can find it)

Might work, worth a try:
Julien
Molino
Fellini
Dealan
Vendome

Broadly speaking, probably more narrow options with the metal frames.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
Just scrolled through the new lookbook for the Illicit spring campaign. Mighty impressive.

My bank account and credit card are both glad that I'm honest enough to know I won't look nearly as cool in those new frames as the models in the lookbook

Here's the lookbook link if you haven't seen it already:

Personally I'm not a fan of the new shapes. Maybe things are trending towards big 70s styles but its not for me. It's a nice campaign though. Recently I have felt their marketing has been weaker than usual so good to see them getting back to a gritty, well-thought-out look.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
Interesting you mention the Felix. Had never heard of it before, but so happens that I came across not one, but TWO, Felix in a retail shop earlier today. There was a Felix Carmine in a drawer and a Felix Taupe on a display case shelf 😅🤣

Very interesting circular shape that reminded me somewhat of my Ripleys

So they ARE still out there, just not at online shops
Felix was a great shape. I remember trying it on around 2016-2017 in New York. I reckon Jerome will bring it back at some stage as he likes the rounder vintage styles. TVR have a similar shape (probably copied from JMM) but they discontinued it also.
The interesting thing about OP doing these JMM looking glasses is that it looks like they're adding the metal cap to the arm to prevent the wirecore from oxidizing:

https://www.oliverpeoples.com/usa/0OV5514SU--172452#

View attachment 2114427
Every brand looks like JMM now. It's like when every brand looked like Moscot back before JMM launched. Soon a new brand will come along and it will start all over again. Every ten years a new look arises. Jerome is a product designer and a good one at that so it was inevitable that he was going to do something really good when he launched. His first brand IVI wasn't great but he certainly nailed it with JMM and his look is everywhere now.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
Every brand looks like JMM now. It's like when every brand looked like Moscot back before JMM launched.

I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment. Who is copying Jerome? If you look back through time in terms of eyewear, every designer or new micro brand is paying homage to something from the past. There really is no new innovation in design terms becoz there is only so much you can re-hash. Jerome is no different. Same shi#t, different take, different material, different finish.

As craft and technology advance over time, the quality of end product is the only thing that separates the men the from boys, and this certainly builds reputation. As of now Jerome is doing his best to compete with the best. Will that continue? Who knows, but I have noticed a slide in the last 12 months, kinda like he is trying excessively to cover all bases in terms of style and variety, at the cost of quality.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're looking at acetate models, this is where I would start:

Good for a narrow face:
Deveaux/Loewy
Zepherin 44
Kellerman (if you can find it)

Might work, worth a try:
Julien
Molino
Fellini
Dealan
Vendome

Broadly speaking, probably more narrow options with the metal frames.
Good list. I’d add Jeff and Ashcroft. I reckon I have a narrower head. Tried on Jeff but don’t own any. Ashcroft is very similar in size and style, perhaps just a little more angular in shape, and works for me!

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment. Who is copying Jerome? If you look back through time in terms of eyewear, every designer or new micro brand is paying homage to something from the past. There really is no new innovation in design terms becoz there is only so much you can re-hash. Jerome is no different. Same shi#t, different take, different material, different finish.

As craft and technology advance over time, the quality of end product is the only thing that separates the men the from boys, and this certainly builds reputation. As of now Jerome is doing his best to compete with the best. Will that continue? Who knows, but I have noticed a slide in the last 12 months, kinda like he is trying excessively to cover all bases in terms of style and variety, at the cost of quality.
I suppose what I mean is, he brought back the thick acetate look and did it in his own way. Now a lot of brands are doing the same thing and probably wouldn't be doing what they are doing currently if it wasn't for JMM. I'm not sure where his inspiration came from as it was very revolutionary at the time. I'd be surprised if he just thought up a complete new way to design eyewear. There must have been influences there from brands his was working with during his Mage Design days. Still, his designs were in 2015, very different. Today it's hard to distinguish between a Chrome Hearts and a JMM frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads