• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

amby16

Reaction score
Adding to the longevity of JMM titanium frames, I've had the original appollinaire as an optical which is still going strong after 6 years. I have a gnarly prescription that is in the negative double digits and these frames have been on my face all day for 5 years, be it on the beach or workouts or hikes. Other than a slight chip in the acetate insert, these are still going strong.

I also have a Cassady as sunglasses for 4 years now, and these have been similarly abused, and still look as good as new.

On the other hand, my T Henri acetate frames broke at the bridge after 16 months. After some superglue, they still work.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding to the longevity of JMM titanium frames, I've had the original appollinaire as an optical which is still going strong after 6 years. I have a gnarly prescription that is in the negative double digits and these frames have been on my face all day for 5 years, be it on the beach or workouts or hikes. Other than a slight chip in the acetate insert, these are still going strong.

I also have a Cassady as sunglasses for 4 years now, and these have been similarly abused, and still look as good as new.

On the other hand, my T Henri acetate frames broke at the bridge after 16 months. After some superglue, they still work.
This and @troika provide useful data points. Thanks.

It’s fun to have some seemingly over-engineered gear. It’s also comforting to know that the alleged durability of said over-engineering seems to stand up to scrutiny.

BTW I have Cassady in marine for sale in case you or anyone looking in is interested!

obecity

Reaction score
I agree that the frames are very well made, and I wear my collection a lot. There’s no comparison between these and my beater glasses from Costco in terms of quality and style.
I've said this before, but I am compelled to share my thoughts about wearing JMM all the time since there is some typical collector BS talk going on - I wear my opticals basically for 16 hours a day, all day, every day, so like 2 years straight (unless I'm wearing my sunglasses).

Before it was the Yves frame (which I currently wear all the time), it was Torinos, and before that, many years of Dita (which is another brand I stan), and before those, and few options from moscot, oliver peoples, and tom ford.

I need to say, that despite the higher prices at the time in comparison to these other options, no brand has kept up with my daily thrashing (limited though it is), lasted me as long, or has been as durable, as JMM. Say what you will about the price, but I'm wearing these constantly, and the quality in materials, details, and craftsmanship really shows. In fact, most of my pairs are secondhand, and they've still outlasted many other brands that I've gotten new.

I don't switch out optical frames since switching between frames for long periods of time gives me a wicked headache. I do have a few sunglasses I'll cycle through, but not opticals. I think this gives me a different perspective on quality than some others here who cycle thru frames. While folks may think about quality in this way, they're not really putting their frames thru the paces. I liken this to Boot Guys who buy logger boots from PNW bootmakers and complain about stitching straightness or wtv. Your lifestyle is not gonna be anywhere near able to push those boots to their limits, relax.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
This and @troika provide useful data points. Thanks.

It’s fun to have some seemingly over-engineered gear. It’s also comforting to know that the alleged durability of said over-engineering seems to stand up to scrutiny.

BTW I have Cassady in marine for sale in case you or anyone looking in is interested!
What’s the marine like? I’ve never actually seen it but it looks like a great color

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the marine like? I’ve never actually seen it but it looks like a great color
Marine in acetate such as Molinos was very dark blue almost black. In the Cassady as this was a titanium frame it’s a blue swirly colour used inserts around the edge of the lens, brow bar annd temple tips and on small subtle side shields along with blue flash lenses.

Attachments

• IMG_8184.jpeg
    IMG_8184.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_8186.jpeg
    IMG_8186.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 154

obecity

Reaction score
Hey everyone. A new frame just dropped called the Full Metal Jacket. Apparently an omage to the movie.

Edit: “Homage” not “omage”. Sorry for the confusion and the careless spelling.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
I know you’re a stickler for it….it is ‘homage’ ….smiley face
Thanks. I’ll go back and correct it. Spelling, grammar, and sentence structure is how I judge people. I’m afraid if I read my own recent comments, my judgement wouldn’t be a favorable one.

Gordon_Shumway

Reaction score
The full metal jackets $1150 😲 that’s wild I was just thinking when I got my first pairs a few years ago… 2018-2019 ish, the dealan and Taos hopper… anybody here remember when they were like $595 retail and now they’re both $820! Lol 😂 Good golly miss Molly I feel like pretty soon Dealan will be $1150 retail lol

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
The full metal jackets $1150 😲 that’s wild I was just thinking when I got my first pairs a few years ago… 2018-2019 ish, the dealan and Taos hopper… anybody here remember when they were like $595 retail and now they’re both $820! Lol 😂 Good golly miss Molly I feel like pretty soon Dealan will be $1150 retail lol
Dealan absolutely will be $1150. I think they have a strategy to get close to chrome hearts prices but don’t want to do it all at once so are making incremental price bumps extremely frequently (nearly every release at this point comes with a $40 price bump). I think all frames will be $1300 within a years

obecity

Reaction score
I’ve been around JMM for quite some time, so I’ve experienced a lot. I remember vividly those prices, which is why I get so dawg dang hot under the collar when I see the current prices JJ (Jack the Jerk) is pressing.

Also some food for thought for some of you newer fellers: JMM uses BETA (yes I’m shouting) titanium, not pure block titanium. Beta is the inferior form. Not surprising given JJ’s thirst for profit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef