• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

fmvazquez

Reaction score
Well, this just happened, and let me just say from the start that I am ever so grateful, and I feel very lucky that I have family who love me. That is the most important thing.

A couple of my family members pulled together some money and purchased me a JMM frame. They purchased the Schindler in vintage tort, pictured (right). Of course, this was released as a frame for women.

Pictured (left) is Lesca Lunetier‘s Ogre, a unisex frame which is rather artsy and not unattractive. As you can see, these frames are not altogether dissimila. The Schindler frame has a subtle cat-eye, but I do find these two frames to be remarkably similar, and aside from the Jax, my JMM frames are all on the somewhat unique side.

R.M. Schindler was a modernest Architect, popular in Southern California, and I am very familiar with his work. I was a full time political scientist, and opened a small interior design firm on the side. I had a PhD in political science, but a severe passion for architecture and interior design, and I could not help myself. By 2001, my design business had grown substantially, so I became a full time residential and commercial designer, and a part time political scientist. So, I have a reverence for R.M. Schindler, and a sort of connection.

They look pretty good on, they are a good fit, and I don’t find them particularly feminine. I don’t have any hang-ups wearing frame designed for women, (just as long as they don’t clash with my stilettos 🤣), but I also don’t necessarily want to draw unwelcomed attention to my appearance.

My next JMM frame was likely going to be the the Jeff or maybe the Enzo, but the Schindler is growing on me. What do you guys think?

Thank you for your feedback.
I have the Jeff and I like them a lot!
I bet is a great fit on you, easier to wear than the Schindler.
But if you feel a personal connection with the Schindler, go for them!
I am also familiarized with his awesome job, I am an architect myself. Had the opportunity to visit his house in LA a few years ago…still in love with it.

Let us know about your decision ;)

PD. Thanks about the tips and info about Long Covid.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi folks! After reading all 1000+ pages here I finally got my first pair last month...and as with many here, my second pair came not long after.

I have a somewhat narrow head so have to keep a close eye on fit - some of the "core" models felt too big on me, but I found the Julien to be a good entry point. It's not as bold as many of the other great styles here (it's kind of like a beefed-up Wayfarer), but since it fits bigger on me I think it still has a fair amount of presence on my face.

DSCF6874.jpg

DSCF6818.jpg

Not long after those arrived, I found a pair of the effectively extinct Kellerman at a local optician for a price that I couldn't pass up. I'm still not 100% sure what I will do with these - convert to sunglasses, put transitions in, sell them, who knows? Open to ideas. Kinda funny to have two round pairs in argyle, but can't deny that it's a great color.
DSCF6881.jpg

DSCF6836.jpg

For my next (hopefully last? lol) purchase, I'd like to get something more angular for sunglasses. I want to try the Fellini (even though the size might be pushing it), though haven't been able to find it in a classic colorway for a while. I'll be keeping an eye out but if you have any recs for medium/small angular frames to try, let me know!
DSCF6856.jpg

Gordon_Shumway

Reaction score
Hi folks! After reading all 1000+ pages here I finally got my first pair last month...and as with many here, my second pair came not long after.

I have a somewhat narrow head so have to keep a close eye on fit - some of the "core" models felt too big on me, but I found the Julien to be a good entry point. It's not as bold as many of the other great styles here (it's kind of like a beefed-up Wayfarer), but since it fits bigger on me I think it still has a fair amount of presence on my face.

View attachment 2002195
View attachment 2002193

Not long after those arrived, I found a pair of the effectively extinct Kellerman at a local optician for a price that I couldn't pass up. I'm still not 100% sure what I will do with these - convert to sunglasses, put transitions in, sell them, who knows? Open to ideas. Kinda funny to have two round pairs in argyle, but can't deny that it's a great color.
View attachment 2002197
View attachment 2002199

For my next (hopefully last? lol) purchase, I'd like to get something more angular for sunglasses. I want to try the Fellini (even though the size might be pushing it), though haven't been able to find it in a classic colorway for a while. I'll be keeping an eye out but if you have any recs for medium/small angular frames to try, let me know!
View attachment 2002201

really good choices those are two nice pairs… but beware the addiction that is JMM lol I said that too on my first two pairs the Taos and Dealan and here I am 22 pairs later like a lunatic 🤦🏻‍♂️

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
really good choices those are two nice pairs… but beware the addiction that is JMM lol I said that too on my first two pairs the Taos and Dealan and here I am 22 pairs later like a lunatic 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks! And yes, it seems that this descent into madness is a well-beaten path on this forum haha. At least we have good company!

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
I am also familiarized with his awesome job, I am an architect myself. Had the opportunity to visit his house in LA a few years ago…still in love with it.

My cousins already purchased the Schindler, and I already was leaning towards keeping them, and now after the feedback here, I will keep them and wear them proudly. But, you’re right about the Jeff, and it will probably be a purchase if all goes well with the cancer battle.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate greatly!

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score

I’m so glad you got to visit Schindler’s home! That is awesome. You are most welcome for the tip about Long Term Covid. 😉

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score

View attachment 2002195
View attachment 2002193

View attachment 2002197
View attachment 2002199

View attachment 2002201
Beautiful frames, and though they are in the same color-way, and may be on the round side, they really do not resemble one another much at all in design. The Julien speaks to the mid 1950’s through the 1960’s; while Kellerman feels more like the 1940’s through the early 1950’s.

I think you wear the Kellermans far too well to part with them, and they make very handsome opticals. If I were you, I’d reconcile the fact that I just wear them so well that it would almost be a crime against society not to make them transitions so you could bring smiles to the faces of passerbys who cross your path and appreciate a well attired and accessorized fellow…day and night. We are taught to put money into our shoes and be well heeled, when we really should be reminded that our glasses are perched on our faces, and as such are well worthy of a little investmen and attention.

For your next pair, you might check out the Ichikawa in addition to the Felini, and maybe the Dealan: angular, classic and a cat-eye men can wear with ease.

Welcome to the club, and I look forward to seeing your “hopefully last“ frames for years to come!

Last edited:

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Beautiful frames, and though they are in the same color-way, and may be on the round side, they really do not resemble one another much at all in design. The Julien speaks to the mid 1950’s through the 1960’s; while Kellerman feels more like the 1940’s through the early 1950’s.

I think you wear the Kellermans far too well to part with them, and they make very handsome opticals. If I were you, I’d reconcile the fact that I just wear them so well that it would almost be a crime against society not to make them transitions so you could bring smiles to the faces of passerbys who cross your path and appreciate a well attired and accessorized fellow. We are taught to put money into our shoes and be well heeled, when we really should be reminded that our glasses are perched on our faces, and as such are well worthy of a little investmen and attention.

For your next pair, you might check out the Ichikawa in addition to the Felini, and maybe the Dealan: angular, classic and a cat-eye men can wear with ease.

Welcome to the club, and I look forward to seeing your “hopefully last“ frames for years to come!
Thank you for the kind words and good tips. I am definitely curious about both the Fellini and Ichikawa, they are on the top of my list if I can ever find some to try on!

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words and good tips. I am definitely curious about both the Fellini and Ichikawa, they are on the top of my list if I can ever find some to try on!
I agree with MfromCDM about the Kellerman and for what it's worth, I think they look better on you than the Julien. Keep!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousins already purchased the Schindler, and I already was leaning towards keeping them, and now after the feedback here, I will keep them and wear them proudly. But, you’re right about the Jeff, and it will probably be a purchase if all goes well with the cancer battle.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate greatly!
I’m curious what colorway Jeff’s you thinking about?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a BNIB Quentin Hickory if anybody wants. Retail + tax.

I just went crazy on Last Frontier models and wanting to recoup a bit lol. Aside from my Sterett Noir, I’ve now got an Acoma and Dakota both arriving within the next week.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads