• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Need to get a pair. Tried them on over the weekend and you’re right, they are very flattering, much more than I had initially thought. Local shop only had Black unfortunately which looked great but too similar to Zeph 47s to justify two small black pairs. Need to find a Baltic from someone that can work with insurance or flip the Zephs for the Black 48s. How does the Baltic look compared to Argyle / Agar / Vintage Tort?

Only nitpick I have with them is the huge blocky letters on the inside with the Kubrick LLC branding but I guess that’s the price of licensing with them and will eventually fade with wear.

I asked the same and a gentleman was nice enough to post a pic of the Baltic some pages back. In my opinion the black is the best color for the 48s. The Baltic kind of made them look meh for me but again just my .02. When it comes to the GOAT Argyle and GOAT b. VT….there’s no comparison haha

MoreArtPlease

Reaction score
First JMM pair - Evans - hickory. Love that the hickory comes in dark at first sight. Solid build quality. Curious on the loaded spring hinge on Domoto & Shozo - does that allow the eye frame to level out to the face? Or is it just a spring mech? Couldn’t find anything online. View attachment 1882364 View attachment 1882365 View attachment 1882368
Love the Evans in hickory. One of my favorite go to’s! I would assume the spring mechanism is just to give the glasses a better range of flexibility since I believe those two models were more geared towards being RX mostly ? That’s just my assumption!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First JMM pair - Evans - hickory. Love that the hickory comes in dark at first sight. Solid build quality. Curious on the loaded spring hinge on Domoto & Shozo - does that allow the eye frame to level out to the face? Or is it just a spring mech? Couldn’t find anything online. View attachment 1882364 View attachment 1882365 View attachment 1882368
Hey Joe,

Congrats on the frame. The Domoto/Shozo have spring temples basically, that's all it is. So it's theoretically a bit more comfortable/flexible, but tbh I would rather have the standard temple JMM design as I think you lose a little of the aesthetic with the spring hinge.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

Congrats on the frame. The Domoto/Shozo have spring temples basically, that's all it is. So it's theoretically a bit more comfortable/flexible, but tbh I would rather have the standard temple JMM design as I think you lose a little of the aesthetic with the spring hinge.

I agree on this. That solid, five barrels hinge is a distinctive feature of JMM's aesthetics, and its absence on the Domoto and Shozo has prevented me to add those attractive frames to my collection.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Jacques Marie Mage Bodie. Not sunglasses, but still JMM...

JMM Bodie broach_DBF Cardigan Jacket yak_David Finn Burgundy Grenadine_RLBL pink stripes.jpg

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you happen to have the plug?? 🥲🥹🫣
I am the plug. I have a NIB pair of Domoto in Hickory, in which I have yet to put Rx lenses.

One of these days, I need to go through my JMMs to decide which I will keep and fill with Rx lenses and which I will sell. The Domoto is a candidate with others for the chopping block.

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I can’t tell you how much I’ve wanted to rock all the Enzos
I hear you...
I tried on a few pairs of Yves, and they looked cartoonishly stupid on me.
I assumed Enzos would be similar, but they fit my face perfectly.
( I appreciate honest/brutal criticism )

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have any older JMM models they'd be willing to sell? If so, if you can DM me or reply here I'd appreciate it!
Probably better to move this discussion to the BST thread. I have several older models. I mentioned in the preceding post that I am going to review what I own and decide what I might offload.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anybody has a lead on a pair of 1948 sun in Baltic would you mind sending me a link. Preferably somewhere that ships duties pre paid.

after trying them on last weekend I really want a pair, but now they’re gone from the local shop.

MoreArtPlease

Reaction score
If anybody has a lead on a pair of 1948 sun in Baltic would you mind sending me a link. Preferably somewhere that ships duties pre paid.

after trying them on last weekend I really want a pair, but now they’re gone from the local shop.

only site that I know of that still has them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads