• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the basis for the shut down? Some sort of IP claim? I mean there are thousands of fan sites for heavily copyrighted works from movies to TV shows and music. How is this specific shut down justified?

lsterling

Reaction score
Does anyone know the basis for the shut down? Some sort of IP claim? I mean there are thousands of fan sites for heavily copyrighted works from movies to TV shows and music. How is this specific shut down justified?
Yes, it appears they're claiming copyright infringement.

obecity

Reaction score
Yes, it appears they're claiming copyright infringement.
I call a pile of steaming BS on that claim. It was a group selling and trading their own private property. They never claimed to be an official JMM outfit. It’s the same nonsense Ferrari pulls on people who own their products. Sadly, I’m sure this action will stand because the corporate fat cats always get their way, even if it is unjust and illegal, and people are too passive and uninvolved to rise up. For shame. For shame. Shame on Jack the Jerk and shame on FB (Facebook) for falling in line.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of disagree with some of your thinking here. A glasses brand is not just the acetate you put on your face. Sure, that’s a part of it, but their values are also factored into the value of a brand.

This is a values argument - punishing loyal customers by restricting reselling to control a secondary market doesn’t seem right. Having the group removed on a bogus “copyright infringement” claim doesn’t seem fair.

I’m not about to pretend this issue deserves wartime attention - they are just glasses. But this definitely isn’t an issue that doesn’t decrease the value of a brand (to many).
Well here’s a news flash. Many / most / (all?) business owners’ main motivation is to make money and most will do whatever it takes to make as much as they can within - and sometimes outside of - the law. Some may have a stronger moral compass than others.
My mate for some reason hated Bill Clinton and when he saw a picture of him hugging Lenny Kravitz he smashed up all his Lenny Kravitz CDs. I asked him if he now requires a full mental, physical, criminal and political dossier on every artist before he puts down $20 for a CD. It’s the same here. We can take a moral stand if we wish. There was a lad on here who refused to buy Fred Perry polos as they are made in China and he had a beef with the PRC government. I asked him if his beef extended to the iPhone he was using, the computer he was using etc etc.

People can choose to take a stance over this if they wish but as a non Facebook member I honestly don’t give a **** and there are plenty of other avenues we can use to buy and sell. Jerome himself looked like a right knob anyway with his ridiculous hair and a strong whiff of cultural appropriation about some of his designs so I’m not shocked at all to learn he’s acting like a twat.

Like someone said above if it bothers people that much they can vote with their wallet. I have enough JMMs that if I never bought any more I’d be well covered. (Although I’m contemplating another case which will currently leave three empty slots to be filled!!😁😁)

If the entirety of Facebook blew up tomorrow it wouldn’t affect my life one iota.

Anyway in the interests of returning the thread to normal here’s a quick crappy iPhone selfie of my Ashcrofts as I wait to fly to NYC for a very quick work trip. If I get free I might even search out Anthony Alden’s shop to see what they’ve got in! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_8164.jpeg
    IMG_8164.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 152

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I call a pile of steaming BS on that claim. It was a group selling and trading their own private property. They never claimed to be an official JMM outfit. It’s the same nonsense Ferrari pulls on people who own their products. Sadly, I’m sure this action will stand because the corporate fat cats always get their way, even if it is unjust and illegal, and people are too passive and uninvolved to rise up. For shame. For shame. Shame on Jack the Jerk and shame on FB (Facebook) for falling in line.

This is EXACTLY why I'll never own a Ferrari!!!!1!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok fun fact: the average cost of a JMM frame compared to the average cost of a pair of sunglasses is the same multiplier as the average cost of a Ferrari compared to average cost of a new car in the US...roughly 6.4x.

Y'all have been buying the Ferrari of sunglasses and complaining when they act like the Ferrari of sunglasses.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't deny that this issue of deleting the buy/sell group on Facebook bothers me too, I would take it with a grain of salt, though.
As I see, choosing to buy something from a brand is also somehow supporting that brand, and you don't want to support somebody with dubious integrity who does not act morally fair.
Having said that, however, I wouldn't go as far as boycotting JMM, even though their reasons seem totally specious in this debate.
Personally, I will keep on collecting the frames I like, regardless.

By the way, as already said, one can still trade on ebay, Grail and also here in the dedicated thread.

obecity

Reaction score
I bet you're a lowkey multi-millionaire. Most of us drive Honda civics and Toyota Camry's closing in 400,000 miles on the odometer.
Hah! Don’t I wish! All this Jack the Jerk flim flam wouldn’t bother me then. Lowkey? Yes, guilty. Multimillionaire? Err err err, negative. Not me.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well here’s a news flash. Many / most / (all?) business owners’ main motivation is to make money and most will do whatever it takes to make as much as they can within - and sometimes outside of - the law. Some may have a stronger moral compass than others.
My mate for some reason hated Bill Clinton and when he saw a picture of him hugging Lenny Kravitz he smashed up all his Lenny Kravitz CDs. I asked him if he now requires a full mental, physical, criminal and political dossier on every artist before he puts down $20 for a CD. It’s the same here. We can take a moral stand if we wish. There was a lad on here who refused to buy Fred Perry polos as they are made in China and he had a beef with the PRC government. I asked him if his beef extended to the iPhone he was using, the computer he was using etc etc.

People can choose to take a stance over this if they wish but as a non Facebook member I honestly don’t give a **** and there are plenty of other avenues we can use to buy and sell. Jerome himself looked like a right knob anyway with his ridiculous hair and a strong whiff of cultural appropriation about some of his designs so I’m not shocked at all to learn he’s acting like a twat.

Like someone said above if it bothers people that much they can vote with their wallet. I have enough JMMs that if I never bought any more I’d be well covered. (Although I’m contemplating another case which will currently leave three empty slots to be filled!!😁😁)

If the entirety of Facebook blew up tomorrow it wouldn’t affect my life one iota.

Anyway in the interests of returning the thread to normal here’s a quick crappy iPhone selfie of my Ashcrofts as I wait to fly to NYC for a very quick work trip. If I get free I might even search out Anthony Alden’s shop to see what they’ve got in! 😁

The Ashcroft looks really good on you. I was also interested, but it looked too narrow in the height as I tried it on.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KenneSherry