• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
I am not being argumentative, but how does one, let's say J. Crew, profit more from selling something that it has a finite supply of at a discount, then selling said item at full price? I really want whomever to get the 25% off, but I am simply stating that basic economics that deal with finite resources would tell one that making more profit is better than making less profit.

Let's assume that J. Crew acquires the boots from Alden at half of their retail value, so $225. You are arguing that they should take a 50% loss on their net revenue on THE shoe of the season that will most likely sell without promotion because...?

I feel it necessary to covenant again that I WANT whomever to get the 25% off.

The assumption that Jcrew would have 100% sellthrough on current inventory at full retail price is flawed. The economy isn't in great condition, I'm sure they're happy to have the sales. They have to try to act like they're combating discounts to maintain brand equity and honor their retail partner agreements however.

They can always order more, it's not like Alden isn't stapling more dead animals together.

adambz

Reaction score
If an individual store is running a special promotion on an item, will they offer the same price through the red phone? My store doesn't carry XS, but they're running a sale on the Authentic peacoats.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Uniqlo +J. very narrow shoulders.

True. Regular uniqlo seems to be relatively narrow too.

Unfortunately I live in Chicago, not NYC.....

(seriously Uniqlo, build a store in Chicago / start doing online orders in the USA already)

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambz
If an individual store is running a special promotion on an item, will they offer the same price through the red phone? My store doesn't carry XS, but they're running a sale on the Authentic peacoats.

YES! This coupon can be applied to a red phone purchase if it is a standard J. Crew item. This is a great technique for a coupon such as this that does not incorporate free shipping, as one is not assessed shipping on any red phone purchases. Further, the red phone stock is synchronized with jcrew.com, which shows it in stock in your size.

I plan on using this technique tomorrow.

CanuckBassist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
They're not nice. Trust me.

I didn't order any collab items, so they were nice enough to apply the discount for me.
smile.gif

Hope you guys luck out with your Indies!

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
The assumption that Jcrew would have 100% sellthrough on current inventory at full retail price is flawed. The economy isn't in great condition, I'm sure they're happy to have the sales. They have to try to act like they're combating discounts to maintain brand equity and honor their retail partner agreements however.

They can always order more, it's not like Alden isn't stapling more dead animals together.

I know what you are saying, but Alden Indy boots, particularly limited editions appear to be recession proof. Alden literally cannot make these boots fast enough. Case in point, I am currently on a six month waiting list for the Alden Indys in Natural Chromexel.

Regarding the J. Crew x Alden Indy boot, it is not that simple, as J. Crew has exclusive rights to the 405 in this color. It takes a significant amount of time to restock these things, as was seen when they ran out of the J. Crew x Alden Indys before.

Further, we are talking about running out of the most sought after item literally days before the retail version of the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, Champions League, and World Series tournaments put together. This is when a substantial portion of shops make their margins.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slammyman
DO NOT FOLLOW UP BY PHONE IF YOU ORDERED THIS!

It apparently was not inherent in my response, but phone J. Crew if and only if your Indys were sent and they charged you the full amount. DO NOT phone them today, as they are likely looking for opportunities to arbitrate and enforce their policies.

Thanks for the clarification slammyman.

KPO89

Reaction score
The promo code specifically stipulates against its use for "third-party branded merchandise," and systems errors with clearly marked precedence are not protected under any law that I know of. But, I strongly hope that they make an exception for you. Further, you really have nothing to lose, so it couldn't hurt to follow-up via phone.

I used a pre-existing cookie that I had for the J. Crew x Alden Indy boots, and the site said that they were sold out in every size. So, I imagine that there are several people in the same boat as you.

GOOD LUCK and please let us know what happens!

I wouldn't think it would matter what the fine print on the coupon says. If the invoice says a specific amount and you click submit that is your digital signature on a legally binding agreement. There is even laws preventing companies from changing the price of the item when you get to check out.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
I ordered at 1:30am last night, so I doubt they sold out of every size and model.

Slammyman, how did you know about the 25% off at 1:30am? Did you happen to be at jcrew.com, or did you see the deal on a site? I didn't get the email from J. Crew until about noon today.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Slammyman, how did you know about the 25% off at 1:30am? Did you happen to be at jcrew.com, or did you see the deal on a site? I didn't get the email from J. Crew until about noon today.

It rolled in at midnight pst last night, that's when I posted it here. He's right, everything was pretty much in stock.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albatross
I assume no one has had their Indy's ship yet? Mine still says processing, which worries me a little.

You're lucky to have your order track within 4 business days on a jcrew order. A tracking # is typically sent on the second business day.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I just went on the site browsing and noticed the 25% off. I tried it first with the boots I just bought, and it worked fine. That is when I called and requested a refund. When they didn't I bought the boots again along with some Alden Cordovan Cap Toes and a sweater. My order still says "Released" which I believe means that it should be shipping soon.

Your orders will be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics