• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
How slimming is the Mayfair topcoat?

It is not as slim as the peacoat.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
I believe that's the Sutherland Herringbone Trench. if that's the case, i bought one this season... i actually ended up buying one of them in Med. and a Mayfair in Sm. and Med. and a Westbourne (from last year) in Med. all to compare against each other and figure out which one fit best. i ended up throwing them all back and picking up a grey herringbone topcoat from Brooks Brothers with a zip-in vest liner. It retailed for $799 and i grabbed it on sale for less than $250 and it fits the best and is the most stylish to my eye when paired with other items from my wardrobe. anyway... the Sutherland actually fit great in Med. but i thought the hidden buttons looked strange and overall the styling wasn't very modern. jcrew catalog shots have burned me many times over the years. they'll pin the models or capture just the right angle that makes something look amazing but in person, many times i get a very different impression.
How long was the Sutherland Herringbone anyway? Was also too large, sort of like a bathrobe?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The sutherland looks to me like a very ordinary trenchcoat, that is, I don't see anything wrong with it or particularly extraordinary. Hidden buttons are pretty standard for a trench.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Just got the Mayfair topcoat. The fit is pretty damn good but I find the arms to be a bit full and in need of slimming. Does anyone else feel this way?

keyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I saw both of these Millerain jackets in the store the other day. I really liked the fit of both. Not too slim nor too baggy. Having a hard time deciding, though. The first one, Langham, is lighter and does not feel as "oily" as the oil cloth jacket. Which one wins out stylistically?

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8182/18182.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6051/96051.jsp

Anyone have the J Crew British Millerain Oil CLoth jacket Carob in a small or medium?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Just got the Mayfair topcoat. The fit is pretty damn good but I find the arms to be a bit full and in need of slimming. Does anyone else feel this way?

It's a top coat, there's supposed to be some room in the sleeves. You might want to fit a sweater or a sport coat under there.

You should see some of my vintage topcoats. They believed in giving a man some room for layering back then.

As long as your sleeves don't hang far down over your hands, you're ok.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009

I thought it was a bit long. Its amazing how short the model makes the coat look.

crisscross

Reaction score
Guys have you had trouble with your jcrew t-shirts color fading after just a couple of washes? I wash mine in cold/soft water but had a couple of t-shirts fading quite a bit after just 1 wash!

arsenc88

Reaction score
I wear a size 38 to 40 size suit. What size should I get for the mayfair topcoat? I can only buy it online so any advice would help!!! thank you!!!

p.s.- i wanna be able to wear a suit under it

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arsenc88
I wear a size 38 to 40 size suit. What size should I get for the mayfair topcoat? I can only buy it online so any advice would help!!! thank you!!!

p.s.- i wanna be able to wear a suit under it

M if you want to wear a suit inside.
One thing you might wanna take into account is the sleeve width. The sleeves may not be wide enough for a jacket underneath.

arsenc88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
M if you want to wear a suit inside.
One thing you might wanna take into account is the sleeve width. The sleeves may not be wide enough for a jacket underneath.

I know that topcoast sleeves are usually wider just so they can fit suits under it... problem is I've read that your suppose to buy your topcoat the same size as your suit... so does anyone have any hands on experience on that specific coat? thanks for helping man!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads