• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I don't mean to say I copy exactly, just get ideas.

I get some good ideas, but I don't copy them either.

Morgan

Reaction score
I do get ideas from the catalogue, just like I do from the WAYWT thread. It's less "oh my god I have to buy that item now" then it is about "hey, it never occured to me to wear this item like that, or put these two items together this way."

Actually the best idea I ever stole was from the Rugby.com website, but it was for my girlfriend. The site had photos of girls in mary janes with knee-high socks. I had previously bought my girlfriend a pair of super-hot Louboutin platform mary janes, and some knee-high argyle socks, but it had never occurred to me that they could be worn together. I asked her to pair them with a short skirt, and holy ****.
bounce2.gif
Thank you Rugby stylists!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to say I copy exactly, just get ideas.

I dont copy the clothing pairings, but I do try to spend most of my day copying the models quizzical looks on their faces, and rolling my cuffs JUST right.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
How is the mockneck? Is it flimsy & floppy or does it stay in place?

Just like most mocknecks I've ever tried, it is a bit floppy and doesn't stay up all that well. I mean it does, but not very well unless buttoned up all the way.

Do you base any of your "looks" on the J. Crew catalog? I'm talking to the people here who buy a lot of J. Crew stuff. I know I do. I often don't have enough imagination myself about how to pair things, so I go to the pages of my J. Crew catalogs, even the old ones. I even look in the crewcut section.

I've also gotten ideas from how the store dresses the mannequins.

Negative.

Originally Posted by sazon
I dont copy the clothing pairings, but I do try to spend most of my day copying the models quizzical looks on their faces, and rolling my cuffs JUST right.

That's where you go wrong, the cuffs happen on their own remember, non-chalantly.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I credit you guys with having much more clothes-putting-together imagination than I have.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got the new men's shop catalog this weekend. interesting take using artists/photogs/designers. i thought the styling was pretty good.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I picked up the general and men's catalogs this weekend in the store. J. crew puts together a nice catalog. What always strikes me is how huge the women's section is compared to the men's

We gots nothin compared to the wimminz.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
That's where you go wrong, the cuffs happen on their own remember, non-chalantly.

No they don't!
smile.gif
See my whining a while back about how in every fit pic in the catalog, there is one pant cuff and one shirt cuff half turned up.

The wool toggle hoody looks nice, but I think the toggles + giant snaps are much more complicated than they needed to be.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont like it because it looks so disproportional. Toggles should be for heavy jackets not sweaters.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
No they don't!
smile.gif
See my whining a while back about how in every fit pic in the catalog, there is one pant cuff and one shirt cuff half turned up.

The wool toggle hoody looks nice, but I think the toggles + giant snaps are much more complicated than they needed to be.

Haha I know, I find it annoying as hell too. I forgot to add the [sarcasm]...[/sarcasm] tags to my statement. May bad Z!

Barrylicious

Reaction score
I picked up the general and men's catalogs this weekend in the store. J. crew puts together a nice catalog. What always strikes me is how huge the women's section is compared to the men's

We gots nothin compared to the wimminz.

That's the case with every clothing brand ever

I picked up the gunmetal giant gingham yesterday, I absolutely love it and can't wait to find interesting ways to pair it in cooler weather

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1...And i really don't care that everyone on this forum owns one, it's a great shirt and fits me great..

Barrylicious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
+1...And i really don't care that everyone on this forum owns one, it's a great shirt and fits me great..

Eh who cares. The possibility of running into somebody that posts here, and then the even more remote possibility of them having the same thing on is so ******* remote that it shouldn't effect your buying decisions. Even the most SF uniform of pieces, like desert boots for example, I've seen people walking around wearing at most a handful of times over the years. I guess that's why I never understand the rage against the uniform and/or groupthink. 99.99999999999% of the population don't post here and don't wear what most of us do anyway

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads