• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew essential slimfit Khaki

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Anyone actually own these? They're only available thru the website, stores don't stock it so you can't try it on before buying. I do like that they will hem it to your specs which is a nice timesaver.

Just wondering if they really do fit slim (as "slimfit" from places like JCrew I rarely find to be slimfitting) and how the waists run (most run larger than tagged ime). I've never liked khakis due to their typical wide legged cuts, but thought these might work for my one and only pair of khakis as they're not too expensive and sound good from the description.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stores do stock it now. at least last time i was there they stocked a "slim" model. NOT SLIM at all. I always remember looking at those year after year and always passed. I tried them on and they are not at all slim compared to say uniqlo or even gap red. kind of disappointing considering i looked at them in the catalog for so long. Not sure if it's exactly the same ones, but the store do have a slim model now.

personally, i'd go hunt down a pair of the gap red ones which i posted already or get someone to get you a uniqlo pair. the uniqlo pair being a great value/quality ratio..

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking about ordering these. I'd kill for a waist measurement vs. tagged size.

freelance robotics

Reaction score
they're not "urban outfitters skinny", but i don't think that's what a pair of chinos should be.

a tagged size 30 runs about 15 3/4" across at the waist, 10 1/2 widest point at the thigh and 8" at the cuff. believe me, i'm the last person in the world to wear anything loose or baggy, and while they're not super-slim cigarette leg pants i think they're a great contemporary fit that's not too skinny or an overly conservative, traditional fit.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of different slim fit chino's from J Crew. As someone previously posted they are not really slim. Compared to everything else JCrew offers they are, but not if you start comparing them to other options out there. That being said I really like the slim fit broken in chinos. They are great for lazy days when you don't want to wear denim. Also, the summerweight slim fit chinos I have fit much slimmer than the broken in chinos.

I doubt they are going to be as slim as you are looking for but you could try them. You can always return them in a store if you don't like them.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I've tried them on at the store.

They do run slimmer than most other J.Crew's pants, which on the whole are rather baggy. These slim fits are cut *just* slightly tighter around the upper thigh and butt than their regular-fit pants. But the others are right, overall they aren't very skinny. You can get slimmer pants from Express or certain BR models for the same price.

However, I also agree with freelance robotics that khakis needn't be overly tight, and these pants are a nice, comfortable compromise.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freelance robotics
they're not "urban outfitters skinny", but i don't think that's what a pair of chinos should be.

a tagged size 30 runs about 15 3/4" across at the waist, 10 1/2 widest point at the thigh and 8" at the cuff. believe me, i'm the last person in the world to wear anything loose or baggy, and while they're not super-slim cigarette leg pants i think they're a great contemporary fit that's not too skinny or an overly conservative, traditional fit.

that was really useful info as I was looking into the size 30. Actually that's a good set of measurements for that waist size. I def dont want them really skinny, just slimmer than what is usually out there (13" thighs for example in my size)

soonami

Reaction score
I bought a pair on sale last weekend and I have to agree that the cut is not slim compared to denim, but with relation to most khaki chinos, they are slim enough. I cannot really imagine wearing khakis tighter than these are.

Just for comparison, my tagged 33W/32L:
17.5 flat waist
12.75 thigh at the widest
8.5 hem
(Similar to most slim jeans in that size)

But like poly said, stores do have them. At least here in Philly. If you ask an attendant they should know be able to help you.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
GS, i tried them on and they don't even feel slim to me. Not that i'd want them skinny, but the thigh/hip area was just too big and shapeless. I was hoping they'd fit a bit more flattering. I don't know, i just wouldn't call them "slim fit" at all. They're not baggy or anything, but just not what i was looking for.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
GS, i tried them on and they don't even feel slim to me. Not that i'd want them skinny, but the thigh/hip area was just too big and shapeless. I was hoping they'd fit a bit more flattering. I don't know, i just wouldn't call them "slim fit" at all. They're not baggy or anything, but just not what i was looking for.

it's slimmer compared to like regular jcrew khakis which are just gigantic.....you're right though, pretty shapeless

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea. They're definitely using the term "slim" for guys who have never bought anything than "relaxed fit" pants. They're good for the dad on the go, but not fashionable or flattering as the forum would deem it. The same way other mall brands use "vintage fit" or "modern fit" that basically just fit normal instead of terribly baggy. I'd personally look elsewhere, GS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads