• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've been trying to lose weight for months with little success

Rene

Reaction score
I think it is good sign that you are losing weight. Do not take any tension
because you are losing weight and it is healthy method. Keep on this track
for weight loss and do not go to unnatural way.

Baltimore Gym

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
i questioned the logic as well, but was told if you're using a whey protein isolate you should be fine. the nixing of the dairy has to do with avoiding not only the fat/carbs but also the lactose. Lactose plays a factor in insulin sensitivity, which is the basis of a plan like this. a good whey isolate isn't going to affect your insulin levels the way other dairy can.
Some whey protein powders contain lots of junk, so it pays to check out whats in it.
the one I've been using is 24 grams of protein with less than 3 carbs per scoop.

Whey is also insulinogenic, so you'd be better off with casein, or egg.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Whey is also insulinogenic, so you'd be better off with casein, or egg.

right, but isn't it true that a protein like casein isn't going to be absorbed as quickly/easily by your body?

From what I've read the insulin spike that whey triggers is a good thing since its going to tell cells to open up and use that protein. If you were to eat a lot of other crap with the whey, or mix it with milk, this wouldn't be ideal.
i'm ok knowing that whey has a relatively low glycemic index and that i'm consuming it on its own first thing in the day.

londonchris

Reaction score
I've been doing Tim Ferriss' 4HB diet over the last month, give or take a few beers and I've lost 10lb over the past month. I walk twenty minutes each way to work every day and do 30 minutes of resistance 3 times a week. The first week was difficult with craving carbs, but once I settled into it it's not so hard. Once I have reached my target weight goal of 175lbs (currently 190) then I will reintroduce some carbs and fruit into my diet, but limit it to as clean stuff as possible.

bmac11c

Reaction score
^I'm on the same Tim Ferriss Diet and I've lost 45 pounds over the last six months. I run every other day and I do HIIT training once a week. Started at 27% body fat, now I'm at 17% with a goal of 11%! I was a fat body at 250 pounds and I looked like chewed bubble gum, now I'm down to 205. I would love to get to 175 or 180 (weight when I was in the Army) but I've put on some muscle mass since then, so I think 190 is a more realistic goal for me.

Bmac

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
londonchris and bmac11c,
that is some awesome progress guys!
pretty much everyone I know who's on the program has had great results. thats really encouraging.

bmac, do you mind me asking how you monitor your BF percentages? thats one area I haven't really been paying attention to. Its frustrating because when I say I've gone down 30lbs on the program, i've also been getting a lot stronger and have a pretty good lifting regimen going. I'd like to know how much overall fat lbs have been dropped and how much muscle has been added. Just the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole picture.

I'll admit that throughout the whole thing I really haven't changed my drinking habits and still drink all the time. my goal over the next month is to drastically reduce my alcohol intake. will be interesting to see how my results change.

londonchris

Reaction score
I'll admit that throughout the whole thing I really haven't changed my drinking habits and still drink all the time. my goal over the next month is to drastically reduce my alcohol intake. will be interesting to see how my results change.

Yes, the least disciplined aspect for me has been drinking too. Especially prone to a few beers too many evenings a week.... Going to try and knock that on the head too.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went on Weight Watches recently. We each knocked off 7lbs in 2 1/2 weeks eating plenty. I like that I can fill up on loads of fruit and vegetables. I missed fruit on Atkins. The high protein no carb diets work but leave you craving where this is more balanced. You work on measuring out portions and realize that the omlet you used to make can be just as satisfying if you make it with 2 eggs and less cheeses. Or that the glass of wine you pour at home is probably more like 6-8oz than 4oz. Just being aware of that allows you to cut back daily and make smart choices i.e. filling up with fruit, skip potato chips.

HenryFlower

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crat
Read the "4 hour body" by Tim Ferriss and check out www.leangains.com

That should help a lot. The way you look is 60-70% diet

Reading through this semi-trainwreck of a thread, I want to:

1) Endorse LeanGains (I've dropped 23 lbs and gained muscle over a couple of months). 4HB/slow carb works as well. But see below in the "pick the diet that works for you" point.
2) Encourage you not to get distracted by usual diet wars stuff going on.

First, some fact bombs:

a) Diet is going to have a much larger impact than anything else you do, particularly cardio. For deets:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-2.html

b) The main reason to exercise is to keep/grow muscle during your diet. If you drop muscle during a diet, it is going to be that much harder to maintain afterwards.

c) The only kind of exercise that helps you keep/grow muscle is weight training. Sorry. Walking, light bike riding, light swimming and other forms of low impact, low stress exercise will help at the margins. But only at the margins.

d) Plyometrics? At your BW? That's like swinging a hammer at your knees. Either that, or you're doing it wrong.

e) The best diet is the one that works for you. If that's very low carb + ketosis, great. If that's the mediterranean diet, wonderful. If it's a vegetarian/Ornish diet, fab (except that you are going to have a hard time eating enough protein). If it's the twinkie diet, meh, but dropping fat will do much more for your health than whatever your diet is, so if it's working, you will be getting healthier.

f) The most important thing to monitor is total calories. Second most is total protein. The Slow Carb (Tim Ferris 4HB) diet works primarily because it's a high protein diet. Lyle McDonald's (see links above) Rapid Fat Loss diet is a high protein diet. The LeanGains approach is a high protein diet. Protein helps hunger, has a higher "thermal effect/burn rate" and thus lowers calories actually absorbed, and helps maintain lean body mass. Good all around. A diet that consists only of lean meats and green vegetables will drop the weight off like crazy (Tim Ferris adds beans to this mix).

g) +1000 to FitDay and other food logging strategies. +1000 to doing a clean sweep of crap

h) Fasting (as in LeanGains) works. Leptin/Grehlin mumbojumbo is probably the reason why, but it works. But (f) above is the key point.

So to sum up:

1) Total calories and total protein is thing one. Focus 75% of your effort there. FitDay, food logging, etc. will help you stay on track.
2) Weight training does good things. Sad for you but true. Focus 15% of your effort there.
3) The other 10%: slow slow cardio (walking, swimming, light bike riding). Fasting. Worrying about being in ketosis, when you eat carbs, other **** that might help, might hurt.

One more thing: It's completely possible to get down to a good bodyweight. It's even possible to get down to crazy lean levels. But it's going to require a long time to get there. No quick fixes, just long term good habits.

bmac11c

Reaction score
zazaza,

I work with a trainer and he "tapes" me at different points of my body with a measuring tape. Then he calculates the Body Fat % with some chart. It's not the most accurate, but it gives me an idea as to the fat I am losing.

Bmac

londonchris and bmac11c,
that is some awesome progress guys!
pretty much everyone I know who's on the program has had great results. thats really encouraging.

bmac, do you mind me asking how you monitor your BF percentages? thats one area I haven't really been paying attention to. Its frustrating because when I say I've gone down 30lbs on the program, i've also been getting a lot stronger and have a pretty good lifting regimen going. I'd like to know how much overall fat lbs have been dropped and how much muscle has been added. Just the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole picture.

bmac11c

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have changed my lifestyle in terms of how I eat. I try not to consume processed food (just about everything is!), I don't drink soda, I stopped drinking beer, no white carbs and I feel great! When I was a disgusting fat body, I used to get acid reflux really BAD, especially when I was sleeping. When I changed my diet, this came to a HALT!

So, the Ferriss diet I'm on is ONLY TO LOSE FAT! Then I can go into maintain mode and eat more complex carbs and more fruits. If my weight goes back up, then I go back to the Fat Burning diet. I know it's not for everyone, but it works great for me.

Bmac

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isn't that an anti-depressant?
whats the connection...

Bupropion (wellbutrin) is sold as an anti-smoking pill. I tried it before... it basically cuts your craving for everything, I guess that includes food.

Makes you feel like a zombie though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads