• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's College Football Season boys!!!

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was the only Stanford fan in my local Brooklyn sportsbar. I couldn't believe how poorly USC played in the Colisieum. Once Barkley threw his pick six, SC appeared to fold. I have never witnessed such a performance during the Carroll tenure. Hopefully, Berkeley undergoes a similar end-of-the-season collapse.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I was the only Stanford fan in my local Brooklyn sportsbar. I couldn't believe how poorly USC played in the Colisieum. Once Barkley threw his pick six, SC appeared to fold. I have never witnessed such a performance during the Carroll tenure. Hopefully, Berkeley undergoes a similar end-of-the-season collapse.

I thought SC also folded and gave up when they got crushed by Oregon. Before Oregon and Barkley, SC still had a chance to win those games in those close losses. But, with Barkley at QB, SC knew that it was never going to come back to win those games and the SC defense just mentally checked out.

After these two blow outs, I think we're witnessing the end of SC's dominance in the Pac-10 even if Barkley improves. In the past, teams had already lost the game to SC before the game even started because they didn't really believe they could beat SC.

If you watch those old Tyson fights, a lot of his opponents weren't really looking to win the fight and were just trying not to get hurt. Consequently, they got knocked out. And, once Tyson lost that first fight, that mantle of invulnerability was shattered and he was never the same fighter again.

Plus, the Pac-10 is a much better and deeper conference today than in the past. Stanford's a lot better with Harbaugh, UCLA will get better and snag some recruits away from SC, Oregon's going to be strong, etc...

If I was Carroll, I'd swallow my pride and try to lure Norm Chow back to SC after initially forcing him out. Ever since Chow left, SC's offense has never quite been the same despite all that talent.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartre864
Would someone please just give C.J. Spiller the Heisman Trophy? Clemson is far from a "top team," but they'd go 2-10 without C.J. Spiller whereas Alabama would still be Top 25 without Ingram.

Hell I think I agree. Ran for a TD, Threw a TD, and caught a TD! Dude is a one man show.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Yes, I realize it's Baylor they're playing against, but I love seeing Texas playing at this level of ABSOLUTE DOMINANCE at this stage of the season.

And I really like how we are still flying under the radar relatively speaking.

While the Eastern Sports Promotional Network continue to fellate Alabama and Florida (and conveniently not ripping their pedestrian offenses)... and then, they take up for the flavor of the week.. be it.. TCU or Boise or Cincy...

Texas continues with its more than workmanlike effort. Baylor had 37 total yards the half yesterday.. until Mack put the younglings and career back ups in during the 4th, Baylor had negative yards rushing.

This very well could be the best defense Texas has had since 1983... better athletes in 2005 and that secondary was out of this world good.. but.. this defense plays with intensity and focus.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
And I really like how we are still flying under the radar relatively speaking.

While the Eastern Sports Promotional Network continue to fellate Alabama and Florida (and conveniently not ripping their pedestrian offenses)... and then, they take up for the flavor of the week.. be it.. TCU or Boise or Cincy...

Texas continues with its more than workmanlike effort. Baylor had 37 total yards the half yesterday.. until Mack put the younglings and career back ups in during the 4th, Baylor had negative yards rushing.

This very well could be the best defense Texas has had since 1983... better athletes in 2005 and that secondary was out of this world good.. but.. this defense plays with intensity and focus.

I'll take the lack of promotion any day. I was looking at CNNSI.com this morning and noticed how low down on the overall list of stories Texas was mentioned. Fine, let the news sources continue with this behavior - even though they are under-serving one of the largest fan bases in the nation.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
We often feel the same way about favorable reporting of Alabama's efforts. The Tebow lovefest overshadows everything right now in college football. Don't feel slighted.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Overall, this season has really sucked. There are almost no interesting storylines.

-Florida is good, but not All Time Epic Good because of some poor performances, so nobody can really debate them being amongst the all time great teams.

-Bama is good, but their QB is so mediocre that it makes them boring.

-Bradford and Gresham being out takes away the chance for Bob Stoops to get beat in another big game against an SEC team.

-The Heisman race and field sucks and may be the worst there's ever been. I don't see a single surefire NFL star out there. Colt McCoy winning by default is no big story because he'll be forgotten by everyone outside Texas after he plays backup for the Chargers or something for awhile.

-Tebow

-Few great upsets.

-Texas doesn't really have to beat many decent teams in the walk to the title game.

-USC is good. Not great. One less candidate for an interesting championship game.

-Notre Dame is average. Not horrible. Probably not bad enough to get Weiss fired but not good enough to actually be following along. They'll win some crap bowl against a MAC team and Weiss will get to keep his job.

-Nobody really gives a **** about Boise St. or TCU. Been there, seen that Cinderella story. Neither will get a title shot so one of them will likely play Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl or the Bama/Florida loser in the Sugar.

-The Big Ten is still **** as Ohio State will go to the Rose Bowl and either beat a mediocre Pac 10 champ which will result in some outrageous preseason ranking next year or they'll lose when Tressel has to try to move the ball against a team not named Youngstown State.

The only decent stories are Florida State's implosion, Cincinatti's great season, and Stanford's rise.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
We often feel the same way about favorable reporting of Alabama's efforts. The Tebow lovefest overshadows everything right now in college football. Don't feel slighted.

Oh I don't. Like litig8tor said, it's good to fly under the radar, if you ask me. I'd feel nervous and almost jinxed if there was all this attention heaped on Texas.

Crakaveli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Overall, this season has really sucked. There are almost no interesting storylines.

-Florida is good, but not All Time Epic Good because of some poor performances, so nobody can really debate them being amongst the all time great teams.

-Bradford and Gresham being out takes away the chance for Bob Stoops to get beat in another big game against an SEC team.

-The Heisman race and field sucks and may be the worst there's ever been. I don't see a single surefire NFL star out there. Colt McCoy winning by default is no big story because he'll be forgotten by everyone outside Texas after he plays backup for the Chargers or something for awhile.

-Tebow

-Few great upsets.

-Texas doesn't really have to beat many decent teams in the walk to the title game.

-USC is good. Not great. One less candidate for an interesting championship game.

-Notre Dame is average. Not horrible. Probably not bad enough to get Weiss fired but not good enough to actually be following along. They'll win some crap bowl against a MAC team and Weiss will get to keep his job.

-Nobody really gives a **** about Boise St. or TCU. Been there, seen that Cinderella story. Neither will get a title shot so one of them will likely play Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl or the Bama/Florida loser in the Sugar.

-The Big Ten is still **** as Ohio State will go to the Rose Bowl and either beat a mediocre Pac 10 champ which will result in some outrageous preseason ranking next year or they'll lose when Tressel has to try to move the ball against a team not named Youngstown State.

The only decent stories are Florida State's implosion, Cincinatti's great season, and Stanford's rise.

pretty much agree except for boise st, tcu, and cincinnati. each deserves a shot at the title if texas does with their cupcake schedule. florida and alabama's schedule isn't that much better considering the SEC is down.

the more the heisman goes to the best player on one of the best teams, the less meaning it will continue to have. ryan matthews and toby gerhart deserve more attention than mark ingram is getting. he's 5th in rushing yards and tied for 25th in touchdowns. mccoy is 18th in passer ratings, tied for 14th in TDs, and 17th in yards.

Crakaveli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.

ron franklin should replace verne lundquist on cbs. verne not only screws up a bunch but has an obvious bias for tebow/florida.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

-Tebow

-Few great upsets.

+1

I'm really looking forward to either TCU or Boise St. playing an SEC team.
bigstar[1].gif

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crakaveli
ron franklin should replace verne lundquist on cbs. verne not only screws up a bunch but has an obvious bias for tebow/florida.

Verne, Gary, and Tebow should get a room somewhere. Sheesh, the outpouring man-crush is too much to bear.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
So.. how do the BCS games shake out?

MNC -- Texas v. Bama/Florida

Rose -- Oregon v. the Ohio State

Sugar -- Florida/Bama v. TCU

Orange -- Cincy v. Georgia Tech

Fiesta -- Boise St v. Iowa/Pittsburg/OkieState ?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Cincy still has to play @ Pitt in the final game. If both win out until then, the winner wins the Big East and would likely play in the Fiesta Bowl. The loser likely gets the at large bid over Iowa and Okie State.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads