• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is RLBL Suit a Good Deal at 30% Off?

SlamMan

Reaction score
I strolled into the local RL store today and tried on an RLBL suit. Very nice. I see what all the fuss here is about. The sales associate offered me 30% off for the friends and family sale. Is the BL line a decent value at 30% off?

How often does RL have a sale? Do they typically have common sizes left come sale time? I'm a 40s.

Thanks for the feedback.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on color/design. depends on when you need it. depends on size. depends on how much your time is worth.

you can get it for much cheaper ~$500-600 on B&S, in fact there are prob some right now in 40s, but solid navy or charcoal is very rare (ive never seen one on b&s) and they would go for more in b&s because they are more desirable. you could get one for 240 from woodbury if you are super lucky and you scour this forum everyday. etc etc

if you are making more than $100 an hour, i would say just get the suit at f&f sale or maybe wait till end of season and see what happens then.

SlamMan

Reaction score
I cruised the B&S forum and didn't see anything that wasn't long sold in 40s unless I missed something. The suit I was interested in was a gray stripe with peak lapel. A fairly basic piece. I'm not opposed to buying at 30% off. Just wanted to make sure they couldn't be found regularly at 50% off.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SlamMan
I cruised the B&S forum and didn't see anything that wasn't long sold in 40s unless I missed something. The suit I was interested in was a gray stripe with peak lapel. A fairly basic piece. I'm not opposed to buying at 30% off. Just wanted to make sure they couldn't be found regularly at 50% off.

I am a 40R/40S (basically 40s is trendy on me, and a slightly altered 40R is more business like on me). Size 40R occasionally shows up on these forums. I have only seen one 40S being sold on these forums during the time I have been here (it was a tan color). Size 40 is a popular size, so unless you are trolling the boards a lot you may miss out on it, especially if i'm on
devil.gif
. If you are really interested in that suit, wait until the sale during may to pick it up. I believe the discount is larger (40+15 or something), otherwise pray for luck in getting your size.

FromCAtoCO

Reaction score
I have bought 3 RLBL suits of B&S for an average of 550 each. I am spoiled now. Although the 3 I bought were all charcoal, 1 was stripe and one a plaid. I want a solid navy RLBL and will most likely have to buy that from the store. Ill wait for the next sale though.

I wouldnt buy a pinstripe at 30 percent off. They show up the most often. I would only buy a solid color suit at close to retail.

oaw01

Reaction score
I'll be buying the RLBL black blazer during the 40+15% sale - I was told the black blazer is a staple and it wouldn't go on sale meaning I would not find it in woodbury. Is this true?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These "is it a good deal" questions are understandable enough but really do miss the point.

It's only an good deal if you're happy with the price compared to the overall cost. No-one knows where your cost/hassle/patience sweet spot is.

But if you're really asking any of the following:

"do these suits ever become available anywhere at a lower price?" - yes
"are they ever cheaper from an RL store" - yes, but more rarely.
"can it be found cheaper right now, from anywhere?" - possibly, but you'll have to work to find it, with no guarantee of success
"can it be found cheaper if I don't mind waiting a while - maybe a long while - and scrutinise the B&S/ebay religiously?" - almost definitely, eventually, but you might not get to the sales thread/auction first.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
I'll be buying the RLBL black blazer during the 40+15% sale - I was told the black blazer is a staple and it wouldn't go on sale meaning I would not find it in woodbury. Is this true?

Funny, I got the black blazer at Woodbury during the frenzy.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01

What sale is that and when?

oaw01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Funny, I got the black blazer at Woodbury during the frenzy.

Was it the wool black blazer with the 2 brass buttons not the double breasted? If yes, I will hold out because I don't really need anything - just wanted it because I like it.

oaw01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
These "is it a good deal" questions are understandable enough but really do miss the point.

It's only an good deal if you're happy with the price compared to the overall cost. No-one knows where your cost/hassle/patience sweet spot is.

"can it be found cheaper right now, from anywhere?" - possibly, but you'll have to work to find it, with no guarantee of success
"can it be found cheaper if I don't mind waiting a while - maybe a long while - and scrutinise the B&S/ebay religiously?" - almost definitely, eventually, but you might not get to the sales thread/auction first.

Holdfast - do your magic and what can you get in 38s?

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast

I think I'd be pretty happy at 30% off compared to other items I've purchased in that price range.

Monitoring the B&S forum can be a full time job in itself and there's still no guarantee of success. Catching a BL suit in my size there is probably more about being in the right place at the right time.

HF, If you come across any 40S BL items in the near future feel free to shoot me a PM!
wink.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have the money to burn, then yes, if not, then wait a bit, I think 40 is a relatively easy size to find, but might not be in all color.

Sylvr

Reaction score
paying retail is all about paying for convenience. if your time is important and precious to you and you can afford to pay extra for saving time and the headache of worrying about not compromising over fit and style then go for it. here a lot of people see clothes as a hobby and enjoy the hunt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads