• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it rude to tell someone the label is still on their suit jacket sleeve?

D Yizz

Reaction score
It is as rude as telling a guy that he has to remove the basting on his jacket's vents. Arrrgh! I see that almost every day.

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score

It is as rude as telling a guy that he has to remove the basting on his jacket's vents. Arrrgh! I see that almost every day.

The worst part is the whole bottom of the jacket sits wrong you can see it from the front sometimes. Drives me crazy too. It's up there with doing up the bottom button.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a small doubt as to what you´re referring to. Are you talking about the tag that usual hangs from a piece of string or plastic?(The world label kinda confused me, sorry). Because that should always be removed. Who walks around with any piece of garment with the tags still on? I´ve bought a lot of things online in the past few months, and the first thing I do (after checking they fit perfectly and have no defects) is remove the tags. Just grab a scissor and start cutting them. I wouldn´t, however, remove the label from a dress shirt (like on the picture above). That doesn´t make any sense, because it´s sewn to it.
Now, about the topic in question. I don´t think it would have been rude if you had, amicably, told the guy that the tag was still on. I see no problem in doing anything like that, as long as you are not patronizing about it.

ddonicht

Reaction score
Would there be any question about telling someone if it was the plastic size sticker on the leg of a pair of jeans? Probably not. I don't really see the difference here. It is supposed to be taken off so tell him. However, as has been mentioned, there are good and bad ways of telling him. If you call him out in front of others, that is rude and will not make you any friends. But if you take him aside and just let him know that they are normally removed it should be ok.

This thread is the 1st time I've heard about removing the labels from the inside of your shirt however. Not that I intend to start doing it anyway but can someone enlighten me as to why someone would do that?

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Saltricks. I was a tad confused then. But still, that should be removed. It looks goddamn awful on.

Last edited:

Saltricks

Reaction score
To be fair, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to cut it off the first time I got a suit. I was in my 4th year of college.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
IMO, sometimes, the tag can really compliment a look. See how the gold in the tag brings out the shine of the lapel pin and glistening of the earring in this example? Without the tag this guy's outfit would be really lacking...

NOTE: I think this dude would also produce a shiv if you suggested he need remove the tag. This is another reason to remain mum.

Last edited:

Saltricks

Reaction score

IMO, sometimes, the tag can really compliment a look. See how the gold in the tag brings out the shine of the lapel pin and glistening of the earring in this example? Without the tag this guy's outfit would be really lacking...

NOTE: I think this dude would also produce a shiv if you suggested he need remove the tag. This is another reason to remain mum.

This reminds me of my friend who loves zoot suits because it represents mexican heritage or something

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We were at a pretty fancy Charleston, SC wedding last week. Most everyone got the hint that it was black tie, but some people wore other style jackets, suits, etc.

We were at the reception and my wife and I were talking to a group of people. We had spent the previous night partying with them and going to a couple of bars, although we had never met before.

I noticed that one gentlemen still had the label on his sleeve and to him that he had forgotten to remove it.

I thought I was pretty subtle and did not make fun of him or draw attention to it within the group.

My wife told me it was rude to tell him. I think it is something he would have liked to know.

What does the collective think?

Should pull him aside and tell him. It's sort of like when someone's got a booger. You can't put them on blast; you've got to do it surreptitiously.

Last edited:

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
No, not at all. I would not feel right if I did not menion this to someone and would be upset if this was me and it went unsaid. It might be embarassing for the party in question for a few minutes but not at all inapropriate.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Sorry, but your wife is even dumber than him to suggest helping someone is rude."

Awesome. She is actually pretty smart, but my wife is the "queen" of protocol for things. She is very southern from an old southern family and they have an opinion about the way to just about everything. I am from CT, so I am always getting called out for doing things like a "yankee". Planning our wedding took three different books on etiquette. She thought that people would know our wedding was black tie because of what time it was, and that it was rude to put "Black Tie" on the invitation.

That is why I love this forum.

Your wife is correct.

There are three categories of this kind of thing and each calls for a different response.

If it is something that everyone knows is a mistake but can be easily remedied, you tell the person immediately and directly though as discretely as possible so that he or she can fix the problem. "Psst! You have toilet paper stuck on your shoe!"

If it is something that everyone knows is a mistake but cannnot be easily remedied, you completely ignore it as if it did not exist. For example, you do not say, "Hey! Someone spilled a glass of red wine on you!"

The third case is by far the most tricky: Something that you aren't sure the person knows is a mistake. The safest route is to say nothing, especially if it is not something that can be fixed immediately. If you are inclined to exert yourself to help out a brotha, you have to exercise a great deal of diplomacy, especially if you don't know the person well. In this case, you might engage the person in conversation and eventually work the conversation around to his suit, the tag, and how your wife always makes you remove them. But you can only go so far. This is most definitely a leading a horse to water type of deal.

You must also err on the side of keeping your mouth shut. You would not, for example, ever say, "Gawd! the patterns on your shirt and tie really clash horribly!"

But if you know the person fairly well, you can be a little more proactive. For example, if you know someone is colour-blind, you can ask him directly if he knows that his new jacket has a violent pink over check.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NASA has warned people not to touch any satellite part they might chance upon. There are no hazardous chemicals on board, but people can get hurt by sharp edges, the space agency said.

Bounder, regarding your signature text ^ ...what does NASA recommend we do with the sharp objects in our kitchens?

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then again, style is not a formula.
Maybe it was his personal style to leave the sleeve label on.
Maybe it's a new trend. Maybe he's the next big gay designer.
Maybe we're all a bunch of sheep who remove the label.
Yes, maybe we'll all be leaving our labels on in the near future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads