• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it legal to sleep in your car?

KurtS90

Reaction score
I would suggest an area with parallel parking, that way your presence is nondescript.

This is my intentions with a converted van... I would only consider it in a vehicle with full privacy, don't want a passerby calling the cops (I can see that turning ugly). As a full on RV from what I read is not a good idea to parallel park and "live" around the city (Google). I feel, probably for the same reasons as you, that parking on the street is public property and unless otherwise marked. But still trying to blend in.

cm10301

Reaction score
Of course, the OP's need for input on this subject has passed, but I wanted to respond in case someone else should stumble on this thread with the same question.

I have slept in my car on several occasions:

A single time, I slept in the backseat of my car on a random LA (Studio City) street (parallel parked as previously suggested by someone). In this case, it was an unforeseen necessity, so it was just myself curled up in a ball without blankets or anything. It was the middle of the night, and I scoped out a relatively safe-looking place to park my car and prayed for the best, with the intention of heading out at a semi-decent hour of the morning so as not to risk being discovered by passersby. This worked out fine.

The following occasions were on drives between Dallas and Chicago, which is supposed to be about 16 hours if driven straight through, but I was never able to make it the whole way without endangering my life from exhaustion, forcing me to stop and "nap". During these instances, I figured the best way to remain safe was to park in the parking lot of a motel (I stuck to the "higher end" chains such as Hampton Inn or renovated/new structure Holiday Inns) and also tried to make an educated assessment about the safety of surrounding area. I would stop in the middle of the night, so at those hours, the parking lots are rather full with hotel guests' vehicles. Not to mention, most who are going to check-in to the particular property are probably in for the night, so that lessens the chances of people walking about. The car I drove for these trips was a mid-size sedan with very dark tinted windows, which helped for concealing myself. Unless someone made a grand effort to press their face to the back windows would they spot me. Along with the extra precaution of placing the sun visor on the windshield, I felt overall secure. I made those drives during winter months, so I also traveled with a large, bulky (and VERY warm) fleece blanket, which further helped to conceal me while sleeping in the backseat and I didn't have to worry about freezing to death.

I should note that, although I did consider rest stops for stopping and sleeping, but felt it would make me an easy target considering the possible higher level of traffic.

So there you have it - my own personal suggestions for sleeping in your car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads