• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is handwashing worth it?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my shirts, underwear and bedsheets are handwashed.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C, why not just iron your shirt when you decide to wear it? I let mine air dry but don't iron them until it's time to wear them. I agree that it's a pain to sit there ironing a ton of shirts since they all take so long. I'm also trying to be a bit less fussy about the ironing because 99% of the time a jacket is covering my shirt anyway.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I don`t understand why someone would buy an expensive shirt and take it to a cheap cleaner.

Maybe because the cheap cleaner does just as good a job as a more expensive cleaner?

I take all my shirts to the local cleaners which charges 99 cents (minimum order of 5). I have never had a shirt ruined or significantly damaged and have only had a tiny number of buttons lost or damaged.

Even if they did on rare occasions damage or destroy a shirt, I would still keep taking my shirts there rather to an expensive cleaner. It is really a question of economics. If I'm washing 200 shirts per year, and I can take them to a 99 cent place ($200 per year) or a place that charges $5 ($1000 per year), I am clearly better off taking them to the cheaper place - even if they ruin one or two $200 shirts a year, I am still coming out ahead. Obviously it is different if the cheap cleaner is ruining or damaging your shirts on a regular basis but that has not been my experience.

I find handwashing and ironing extremely tedious so that is not even an option for me.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
Maybe because the cheap cleaner does just as good a job as a more expensive cleaner?

I take all my shirts to the local cleaners which charges 99 cents (minimum order of 5). I have never had a shirt ruined or significantly damaged and have only had a tiny number of buttons lost or damaged.

Even if they did on rare occasions damage or destroy a shirt, I would still keep taking my shirts there rather to an expensive cleaner. It is really a question of economics. If I'm washing 200 shirts per year, and I can take them to a 99 cent place ($200 per year) or a place that charges $5 ($1000 per year), I am clearly better off taking them to the cheaper place - even if they ruin one or two $200 shirts a year, I am still coming out ahead. Obviously it is different if the cheap cleaner is ruining or damaging your shirts on a regular basis but that has not been my experience.

I find handwashing and ironing extremely tedious so that is not even an option for me.

laugh.gif
Taking a shirt to a 99cent cleaner and not having it damaged is completely different from having it done correctly by hand.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
If I made more $ I'd definitely scout out a good cleaners to do my shirts. The few I've used in Manhattan have destroyed my buttons. Luckily they were on older, less expensive shirts. I'd recommend always giving your least-treasured garments over to a new establishment; once they've earned your trust you can make with the T&As.

I do find ironing therapeutic, but my two biggest problems are

1. If I wait till there are too many shirts it takes me forever - approx. 10 mins. each

2. My results even with that amount of time kinda stink.

I plan to get a steam iron (Rowenta perhaps) and a sleeve board; perhaps with some practice I'll improve.

I will say this: I'll press my shirts but not pants. To complicated, especially with pleats. I get my pants dry cleaned roughly once a year as needed. But shirts are washed after each wearing, "woolens" gentle cold water machine setting, hang dry, pre-brushed with soap and nail brush for stains.

Loving the username. I'm a big fan.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what is a "ruined" shirt? I have some 7 and 8 year old shirts that the color has faded, I replace buttons maybe on average one per shirt per year, and on some of my shirts that are older than 5 years the collars are a bit frayed on the points. all of these are acceptable to me, in the big picture - replacing MOP buttons is prorbrably the worst part, but that isn't very expensive or time consuming.

Moss

Reaction score
I've noticed that commercial pressing is particularly bad on my blue shirts. Since blue (indigo) dye does not absorb completely into the threads, but rather sits on the surface, it tends to rub off more easily when subjected to the rough handling of the commercial press.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Woah, nevermind. Didn't realize this thread is a dinosaur.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads