• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is handwashing worth it?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's not the washing part that's a big deal -- anyone can throw clothes in the wash with some detergent. It's the ironing that's too much of a burden/too much time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
AC,

This is a good excuse to buy more shirts -- you could find 3 hours every 3 weeks to throw in 15 shirts in a cold wash cycle and then hang them.
I've ended up doing that. Who knew a shirt obsession would be so helpful? 'Course, ironing them took a good half of The Exorcist: Director's Cut last weekend.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem, like kabert's, is that it takes a long time to iron a shirt properly, and it's a burden if I have to do 8 shirts.  Of course, I went out and bought the Rowenta Perfect iron, so maybe I should suck it up and put it to good use  . . .

joseanes

Reaction score
I would gladly pay $4 for handwashing my shirts if I knew where to get that. And my shirts are not even expensive (all less than $100). It is difficult for me to find a shirt that fits well. Since I do not know where to get them handwashed, I just machine wash them at home, and hand wash them while traveling at hotels.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a place on Dartmouth Street across from Back Bay Station that will do a cold wash and hand iron (fold or hang) for-- I think it's been raised now, to-- $5. They do a nice job, as well they should.

Thanks to all for the math help. I've had this very question for a while now myself. Bespoke shirts are getting the hand press. All others can go to the regular place around the corner.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this long skirt by Sarah Pacini. You pack it in your suitcase, and when you are ready to wear it at destination, you crumple it up as you would a sheet of paper. Shake it once, and presto.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Hmmmm...
eh.gif
...um, do all of you guys across the pond get your shirts laundered for you? This is really quite strange to me, as I'm quite sure we all wash and iron our own shirts at home.
I am by no means a frequent European traveller - but have probably spent about 4 weeks total there on business in the last 10 years. I have noticed that Europeans wear shirts that would be regarded as slightly rumpled in the US. They would almost be unacceptable in a country where many exectives wear stiff starched shirts. Its really not a money thing - I've tried and tried and just cant get my shirts as well pressed as a commercial laundry.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had people do the laundry for me -- and I've sent out everything -- and I've done my shirts at home, recently. Esp. after reading Kabbaz's and I think it was J's cleaning posts. I now do most of my shirts. The oxford cloths I just hang up and wear without ironing. The rest, I'll usually wash myself and then have the housekeeper iron. Formal shirts I still send out to a place I was using that was $6 per shirt & something obscene like $18 for a formal shirt (but a great job they do).

When I wash my own shirts I don't have to look at it as "lost wages". There are certain things I like doing like gardening, carpentry, etc that I don't care how much I "spend" of my time.

Polishing shoes on the other hand....

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a place on Dartmouth Street across from Back Bay Station that will do a cold wash and hand iron (fold or hang) for-- I think it's been raised now, to-- $5.  They do a nice job, as well they should.

Thanks to all for the math help.  I've had this very question for a while now myself.  Bespoke shirts are getting the hand press.  All others can go to the regular place around the corner.
I know the place your talking about -- can't recall the name -- but I've used them. Excellent.

pgoat

Reaction score
If I made more $ I'd definitely scout out a good cleaners to do my shirts. The few I've used in Manhattan have destroyed my buttons. Luckily they were on older, less expensive shirts. I'd recommend always giving your least-treasured garments over to a new establishment; once they've earned your trust you can make with the T&As.

I do find ironing therapeutic, but my two biggest problems are

1. If I wait till there are too many shirts it takes me forever - approx. 10 mins. each

2. My results even with that amount of time kinda stink.

I plan to get a steam iron (Rowenta perhaps) and a sleeve board; perhaps with some practice I'll improve.

I will say this: I'll press my shirts but not pants. To complicated, especially with pleats. I get my pants dry cleaned roughly once a year as needed. But shirts are washed after each wearing, "woolens" gentle cold water machine setting, hang dry, pre-brushed with soap and nail brush for stains.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
...pre-brushed with soap and nail brush for stains.

I have become a very big convert to this. I had some really stubborn stuff come out like magic with soap and a nail brush when I'd tried everything else.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that a gentle cycle in my Maytag, is just enough to cleanse without obvious abrasion or injury to cloth. I always do a double rinse. Next time I buy a clothes washer, it will be a front loader, complete with window. I've read that these models are easier on clothes, than top loading machines with agitators. Also, I like to watch the action . . .
As for pressing . . . I do it all.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, resurrected thread after almost two years. I have a cleaning lady who irons my shirts for me. I get bored ironing shirts.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to handwash only my ultra-nicest shirts, until I got one of those new-fangled front loading washing machines. Has a extremely useful set of commands, including a 'low spin' and 'no spin' option. Unlike the brutal washing machines at school, my shirts come out nice and I don't have to unravel them from everything else. I just hang until slightly damp then iron. Handwashing is now out of the question.
smile.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t understand why someone would buy an expensive shirt and take it to a cheap cleaner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads