• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a hat ''stylish'' also in this century?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this is the current "history of the hat" thread, I will post this find here, without comment:

For over thirty-five years, men have been living in a hatless era. It is said that the style of hatlessness originated at a European university. In 1921, a group of students manifestly declared their independence of headgear. Very soon, young men began to appear hatless both in Europe and in the United States. This style was copied by many older men; the next generation imitated their elders. The depression, which necessitated economy, helped to prolong this style since the elimination of the hat represented a saving of several dollars. Postwar army and navy casual styles were factors in the decline of hat sales. As a result, Allied Stores' Research Division made a survey to find out what type of customer was buying hats. The findings showed that the older men in the higher income brackets were primarily responsible for hat sales.

-- Isabel B. Wingate, Karen R. Gillespie, and Betty G. Addison, Know Your Merchandise. Third ed. (New York: Mc-Graw Hill, 1964), 227-28.

Zeev Wolf

Reaction score
To all gentlemen out thre,
I´m a new member of the forum, private and work-related fashion addict.
It was very interesting to read your opinions on hats - being a big lover of hats myself. I own quite a few myself and they delight me and my family.
Hats are everything you say, yet a lot more, too.
I never leave the house without one, except when I go jogging in the morning.
It is true that they protect from heat and cold, but besides this fact, how can you be completely dressed without crowning your outfit with the hat to go with it.
I have gained many an admiring look by wearing the right hat to the right occasion.
And yes, the ladie do like a dashing hat - and yes, they wear my hats, too.
My wife and daughters have worn my hats on occasion and looked stunning in them!
Both our sons are tall, dark and handsome hat-wearers also, although they are young and their stylish wives are thrilled about it.
In Europe hats are still worn a lot, specially in Vienna, where we live. The tradition of the emperor´s time is not that far back in history and Austrians are quite conservative. But I think dressy hats will have a big revival soon - all signs point to it and all the "posh" outfitters show them in their windows again...
So gentlemen, go out and buy yourselves a chic Borsalino, Homburg or Boater and impress these ladies!!

TopHatChef

Reaction score
Some little neat information. Hats ran out of style when JFK took office. His campaign advisers told him not to wear hats, and tease his hair when making speeches for the ladies because they loved his hair.

Anything for the ladies.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimMureau
Is a hat still atylish in this century?

I see not so many people wearing hat's ...
Also not in great city's in the world. Is a hat in this century stylish? Or is the time that we were wearing hat's if we want to be stylish over?

I am very curious to the opinion of people here on styleforum.

Not on a 18 or 19 year old.

You have a new fetish now Tim? No more ties?

Zeev Wolf

Reaction score
Hello Sator,
As a matter of fact I do have an incredible hatter in Vienna.
The store is called Szaszi-Hüte and is at Mariahilferstrasse 4-6. They make almost ONLY bespoke hats.
The workshop is most interesting, like a museum with all these 150 year old implements but the owner will treat you like royalty, measure your head with a real old "conformateur" and advise you on which hat, which brim width etc. will fit your face, shoulder width, personality, etc.
He talks a lot about just about anything, including philosophy and Talmudic questions but is extremely honest and he is quite expensive but his hats are divine and of a quality and perfection that I have not found anywhere else.
I hope to have been of help! All the best and regards,

Zeev Wolf

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hats of meat are always stylish:
4b.jpg
3c.jpg
2a.jpg

dsmolken

Reaction score
I think I used to play in a band named Hats Of Meat.

I bike to work so wearing a brimmed hat to work makes perfect sense on rainy or snowy days. Women do compliment it regularly, though I've never had one pull it off my head and try it on.

cimabue

Reaction score
Makins claims he wears their hats. I love mine.

Originally Posted by Bradford
As long as the topic is under discussion...

Anybody know what type of hat Brad Pitt was wearing on the "Idol Gives Back" show?

400_bpitt_idolgives_080407_kwinter_80546080.jpg

Mid-Modernist

Reaction score
I reckon hats still have their place in the modern world, but the need for one is greatly reduced. People drive more than walk, Umbrellas are cheap, People spend less time outdoors in cold or wet weather. Most hat wearing today is functional. Raincaps, sunhats, baseball caps are worn without comment, but a dress hat (most hats with a brim) will look affected if worn indoors, which of course they never should be.

I bought a cheap wool fedora around two years ago, and I've slowly began wearing it. But only in cold or wet weather outdoors with an overcoat. Luckily it rolls up, but it can take a while to regain it's shape if I do so. My wife prefers it on me to every other hat, so I've ordered an Akubra for future events where there's a possibility of being out in the cold or wet. The only downside is where to store them indoors if not at home.

For sunny days a hat is a very good idea. With this in mind I've already got one cheap Panama which saw great use this week during the longest heatwave Ireland's experienced in some time, but have another more dressy Montecristi on the way from Brent Black.

Back in hat heyday people generally didn't have access to sunblock, so a hat protected against sun. Umbrellas probably cost more than a hat, so a hat was preferred in the rain too. I'm determined to wear hats more, but also to be mindful not to wear them in the wrong context.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads