• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 2.0

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you guys think this is revolutionary or wow feature wise - aside from the cameras, casing, and the A5, it's not a huge leap forward. That said, I will be dumping my 16GB Gen 1 WiFi for this
tongue.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if i already pay for a data plan on my phone will i have to pay for another data plan for the ipad?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
if i already pay for a data plan on my phone will i have to pay for another data plan for the ipad?

There are ways around it if you have a GSM iPhone and (obviously) a 3G iPad, but Apple doesn't make it easy. Once setup, I'm told it's transparent but does require swapping SIM cards unless you go to another (and wholly illegal) level of cloning SIM cards.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frown.gif
will the same technique work with an android and verizon? edit: apparently i can get a wifi tethering app. looks like i'll be getting a non 3g version

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
There are ways around it if you have a GSM iPhone and (obviously) a 3G iPad, but Apple doesn't make it easy. Once setup, I'm told it's transparent but does require swapping SIM cards unless you go to another (and wholly illegal) level of cloning SIM cards.

Originally Posted by indesertum
frown.gif
will the same technique work with an android and verizon?

edit: apparently i can get a wifi tethering app. looks like i'll be getting a non 3g version

Didn't he just announce that IoS 4.3 will have the ability for the iphone to create a personal hotspot?

That's gangsta.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Didn't he just announce that IoS 4.3 will have the ability for the iphone to create a personal hotspot? That's gangsta.
If you pay for it with AT&T or VZ. Also, there have been a few apps that had backdoor tethering functionality, but they've all been pulled to the best of my knowledge. Thankfully, I managed to grab one that 'functions' as a flashlight by day and as a tethering app by night
wink.gif
. Edit: To clarify, I didn't jailbreak my 3G, 3GS, or 4 - just the original one. If you jailbreak, things are a lot easier.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
my local carrier for the iPhone launched the 3GS w/ tethering enabled, to leech off my data plan (which is unlimited) - but it's the ******* iPad that doesn't register as a computer via bluetooth and therefore won't connect.
ffffuuuu.gif
Just tested it and I'm posting this on my Macbook tethered from my iPhone 3GS, original OS3 something?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Think I'm going to have work buy one for me
smile.gif

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
i like the smart cover idea. friekin a!

i dont see myself carrying around 3 products..but if anyone willing to invest in a tablet..i suppose this is a good idea.

I have to say...Apple makes you question other competitors marketing, development and delivery departments.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will buy a new one. We already have the first version that we got last April.

By the way, I ate lunch today at a table right next to Steve Jobs at the Four Seasons in San Francisco. He acted spunky but looked vary frail. He has lost a lot of weight and his pants a very loose and his legs and butt have very little definition. I felt sorry for him but was glad to see his energy and good spirits.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds goofy, but I was hoping they'd have one chip in there that would allow for LTE/4G access across AT&T and Verizon.

The cameras are nice, but I'd like to see that 4G access built in with maybe a thunderbolt connection. Screen resolution and memory I see more as smaller incremental improvements.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Which part exceeded your expectations? It seems like everything that was rumored (namely cameras) plus a cute cover minus a better screen.

all i expected was the cameras
blush.gif
confused.gif

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i just watched the video, it looks amazing.

a friend of mine who is a huge apple fan told me their products are so good because they are made by people who actually use them so they always try to pack in cool, efficient things....
plain.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Has anybody caught wind of what's going on with the amount of memory installed? Apple didn't release the info at the event and now there's a rumor flying around that its only got 256mb installed. If that's the case then Apple just took a giant dump on everyone.

Nice improvements but I'm holding out for Rev.3 with the super duper screen resolution that will make it a truly portable media powerhouse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads