• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investment Advice

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
So I'm receiving my stimulus check soon, plus my state/fed refunds and a bit of money from relatives in Brazil. As a complete finance n00b, I'm in the dark as to the best way to invest this money. My initial thought was just buy Euros or Pounds, since the dollar keeps dropping, but a friend told me that amateurs investing in exchange markets get burnt a lot. Plus I wouldn't know exactly where to start to buy currency, I've only ever done it at the bank.

So what's your advice? How can I do better than just plopping it in an ING Orange Savings account? That's my current plan at ~3.8% interest.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's probably not a bad idea at this point. Of course, I am no expert in investing or anything, but a 3.8% return is good for no risk involved. You can try a mutual fund, but I suggest you read up on how it all exactly works before you invest in them. Good luck!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying currency is tricky business, and with only $600 to throw in the pot, a bad idea (your friend is right). Mutual funds might work, though I don't know if $600 is enough for a minimum balance at most places; you might have to agree to $600 down with additional monthly deposits or something similar.

The ING plan is a good one.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buying Euros at a bank is probably not the best idea, for several reasons. First the buy/sell exchange rate at a bank means your transaction costs are REALLY high. You've probably got to get a 10% or better return just to cover the costs. Second, what will you do with the Euros once you have them? Put them in a drawer earning nothing? If you could deposit them in a foreign bank and earn interest...but if they're staying in the US...not so good.

Also $600 or whatever is not enough to start trading currencies, plus your friend is right...too risky for someone who doesn't know what they're doing...and for lots of people who think they do.

I'd say that a foreign stock fund is a good bet. Find one that invests in foreign stocks and you'll get appreciation from the foreign markets (which have outperformed US markets over the past several years) and something of a currency hedge since many of these stocks trade in foreign currencies.

You might need a minimum of $500 or $1000 for most of these accounts.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
minimum for any mutual fund is $1000.

Do you work or are you a full time student. I would suggest your 401K if you work or IRA.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends?

How many years until you need this money?

Short term (under 5 years) - leave it in the ING account
Longer term - throw it in a vangaurd ETF and forget it
Retirement - throw it in a roth ira

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Depends?

How many years until you need this money?

Short term (under 5 years) - leave it in the ING account
Longer term - throw it in a vangaurd ETF and forget it
Retirement - throw it in a roth ira

+1, this is sound advice. Problem is the money isn't enough to start a Vanguard fund ($1000 min, mostly), so if you're going for option 2 or 3, keep it in ING/HSBC until you get the minimum.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
+1, this is sound advice. Problem is the money isn't enough to start a Vanguard fund ($1000 min, mostly), so if you're going for option 2 or 3, keep it in ING/HSBC until you get the minimum.

well he can buy the ETF which is just like the mutual fund but trades like a stock

Train

Reaction score
Now are you only interested in using the $600 or the remaining refund you are getting? if so, all above options are good, while the other option is to open up an etrade account and use bits and pieces of your $600 to invest in a couple or one good solid stock. It could help you get your feet wet, and considering you said you were null and void about finance knowledge trying anything might be a good option at this point.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Augusto, just send me a cashier's check for whatever you want to invest, and I will take care of it for you.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Augusto, just send me a cashier's check for whatever you want to invest, and I will take care of it for you.

I think you're joking but that could be a possibility no?

If augusto doesn't meet the minimum ($3k for the popular Vanguard S&P 500 for example) but he knows someone trustworthy who has an account...

I'd probably just go with an online bank though. Or stimulate the strip club economy
smile.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I think you're joking but that could be a possibility no?

If augusto doesn't meet the minimum ($3k for the popular Vanguard S&P 500 for example) but he knows someone trustworthy who has an account...

I'd probably just go with an online bank though. Or stimulate the strip club economy
smile.gif

Depends on what you mean by joking. I would certainly welcome a check from Augusto because apprently Uncle Sam doesn't think I'm entitled to one. What happens to that check after I receive it is another matter. Like I said, "I'll take care of it."
smile.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Train
Now are you only interested in using the $600 or the remaining refund you are getting? if so, all above options are good, while the other option is to open up an etrade account and use bits and pieces of your $600 to invest in a couple or one good solid stock. It could help you get your feet wet, and considering you said you were null and void about finance knowledge trying anything might be a good option at this point.

$600 is way too little to even think about doing stocks. Assuming a $10/trade commission rate, he'd have to generate 3-4% returns just to cover transaction costs and break even. Second, it's not enough to stake any sort of real position in any established stock (what's the point of holding 10-11 shares of a $50 stock, for example?), and this often causes novice investors to chase risky penny stocks because positions in them are more affordable. Finally, investing with $600 offers no room for diversification or hedging, so if he puts all his money in what turns out to be another Ambac or Bear Stearns or Crox or whatever, he's just flushing it down the toilet.

$6000 isn't enough to trade stocks with; trying it with $600 is just ridiculous. I agree with others in that he should just park it away in a high interest bank account and wait to accumulate enough money to a point where he can pursue investment strategies without being severely undercapitalized.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll probably park it in ING until I figure out my job situation - I'm holding down two at the moment but possibly transitioning to a 9-5, so it'd probably be good to have that money on demand.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest putting it in an ETF. In fact, you might want to find an ETF that involves higher risk, but higher return potential, since you are so young that it's not going to kill your retirement if that $600 fluctuates a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads