• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PipeNLoafers

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Excited to finally sign up to SF.

I'm a London-based academic consultant and accessories designer.

I plan on contributing to the threads within classic menswear and whatever else presents itself.

Look forward to getting acquainted as time progresses.

Kind Regards,

PNL

Last edited:

Pedro Moreira

Reaction score
Hello to the Forum,

I'm Pedro Moreira, I am a portuguese lawyer, 42 years old and I have an interest on male fashion (my father was a tailor). I am always looking to discover new brands and get style advice. That's why after stumble upon your forum, I decided to join to learn and share my (little) experience with other members. I am also here to buy and sell (mostly to buy)

A little more about me and my wardrobe, I have a soft spot for Pal Zileri, Ermenegildo Zegna, Cerruti (classic and casual), Hugo Boss (jeans), La Perla (boxers), Xacus (shirts), Valentino and Carolina Herrera jumpers, Canali and Lanvin ties.

Concerning shoes, I do like Lottusse shoes (despite not being a high end brand such as Magnanni, Carlos Santos, Berlutti, John Lobb, Suttor Mantelassi, Paolo Scafora or Church, just to mention a few) because it's what I can afford and they do the job quite well.

There are brands that I hope to buy someday, such as Tom Ford, Zilli, Cesare Attolini, Stefano Ricci, Kiton, William Hunt, Charvet and a few more.

That's about it.

Regards,
Pedro

litea11111

Reaction score
Hello to all!

I am James and I'm very happy to have signed up for this forum. I am currently a newbie in mens style, still learning the ropes. I am currently a student at the age of 20.

Hoping to learn as much as I can on mens classic style, as well as potentially helping others in my community!

Thank you!

Regards,
James

Rogerdoger

Reaction score
BAM! first time poster long time lurker. From the great white north, true north strong and free eh!

Mid 30's 2 kids. Love my raw denim from 3sixteen and my Viberg boots. Fok is the man BTW!

Cheers

animefans

Reaction score
Hi all
A 40 something with 3 kids just discover fashion about 2 months ago
Before this, I mostly wear technical fleece and merino sweatershirts, with fairly boxy fits
Arcteryx
Marmot
Columbia
Ice Breaker
and the like

I live in San Francisco Bay Area, so now is a good time to stock up on cold gears

I am pretty much start from scratch for my wardrobe, from jeans to chinos, OCBD to henley, boots/derby/sneakers, and jackets

I think I like workwear style more than anything else, but who knows, I may find something different down the road

Nice to meet all of you, virtually

K.K.

muleties

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a company Mule Ties - www.muleties.com where we create a fusion of art and fashion with our neckwear. I am the owner of the company but I always love learning about fashion. My big goal is to write a book around the men's fashion industry, not quite sure the exact title but I have a good idea. :)

I would like to engage with the group and learn from all you fashion experts. I would love to hear from you and if I can be of any value for any of you thinking of starting a store feel free to reach out. I look forward to learning and engaging with the group.

Cheers,
Terry

plebean

Reaction score
hey guys! first started my account in 2008 but didn't properly register it until today!
dozingoff.gif

I'm a guy in his 30s living between LA & NY, single w/ a serious gf. Full disclosure, I work for a men's fashion brand here in Beverly Hills called Franc Milton (francmilton.com). We do made-to-measure suits out of china and bespoke/custom suits out of italy.

used to dress kind of trad and preppy when i lived in ohio, went to a more "james dean meets english farmer" look in seattle, and now dress in minimal, fashion inspired classic menswear here in LA. I love sleek and proper with a rakish bent. excited to officially be a part of the community after close to a decade of lurking!

MrLau8999

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Styleforum Members!

I live in Hong Kong S.A.R., China.

Male.

I'm 17 currently.

Middle-Class (relative)

Ultimately want to help my country (China & Taiwan) and also help the betterment of Southeast Asia.

In a few years after I complete my political education in Japan, I wish to do my very best to help unify North & South Korea by appealing to cultural closeness, and afterwards focus on the Mainland/Taiwan disunity problem.

I realize the value of soft politics, and want to set a good example for my fellow countrymen/women.
Sartorially speaking, I admire the style of the Republican Period China (民国时期) and the 1910-1960 elegant period of menswear.

My mother is a prolific designer of Qipao/Cheongsam (旗袍/长衫) and designs for herself. She has a vast collection of these dresses which number over 2000 individual dresses, each worn only once, and this collection is growing steadily. All of them bespoke commissions. Because Hong Kong bespoke prices are half or less than those of Saville Row, in addition to being convenient, it is also cost effective to build personal style (relatively speaking, because 1500-2000 USD for a commission is considered a large amount in HK, especially since we have a cultural value of frugality).

Personally, I appreciate but don't follow super-count wool fabrics (super 150s, 200s, 300s, etc). I prefer the more "frugal" English Flannels, and prefer suiting with a "furry" appearance, e.g. Melange/Tweed/Flannel/etc.

I believe suits that are too flashy undermine the values of Chinese culture, and therefore look for an elegant medium that is neither overtly flashy or overtly sloppy. To overdo/underdo is easy, but this medium is difficult to find, and is different for everyone.

I admire the Black Fleece line of Brooks Brothers, and most pieces in my current wardrobe are Black Fleece (bought on discount of course).

My current existing wardrobe (as of 2016) has no bespoke items (only OTR/RTW), and consists of (all full-canvas unless stated otherwise):

1. Black Tie 2-button Wool Barathea Silk Grosgrain Notch Lapel Tuxedo (Black Fleece)

2. Black Tie Single-Breasted Hidden Placket Silk Dupioni Grosgrain Notch Lapel Overcoat (Black Fleece, to match Tuxedo)

3. Vintage Russet Brown Single-Breasted 1-button Silk Velvet Dinner Jacket with Shawl Lapel (Johns & Pegg Bespoke
Commission, bought in excellent condition 2nd hand after Brexit, made in the late 1950s to early 1960s)

4. Black/Grey Check w/ Pink Accent 3-roll-2 Notch Lapel Tweed Sport Coat (Black Fleece)

5. Brown 2-button Melange Tweed Notch Lapel Sport Coat (Black Fleece)

6. Navy Flannel Notch Lapel 2-button Suit with Grey/Red/Grey Thin Stripe (Black Fleece)

7. Navy with White Chalk-Stripe Wool/Cashmere/Mink Flannel 3-roll-2 Notch Lapel Suit (Black Fleece)

8. Cream/Brown/Coffee 3-roll-2 Linen Sport Coat (Black Fleece, unlined)

9. Khaki Double Breasted Cotton Gabardine Trench Coat (Black Fleece)

+ an assortment of 200+ Neckties/self-tie Bow-ties, around 100 OCBD shirts (all Black Fleece), 1 Black Tie Backless Silk Vest in V&A Lattice Pattern, and 30 pairs of odd trousers (Corduroy, Cotton Velvet, Cotton Flannel, Irish Linens, Cotton Twill, etc), and domestically produced silk socks/underpants with Xinjiang long-staple cotton undershirts.

Am contemplating bespoke commissions in October-November this year in time for December, and want to update wardrobe with double breasted drape-cut suits, raglan sleeve suits, etc.

I own a vintage steel dress watch made by Jules Jurgensen in the 1950s-1960s; thin, Caiman Strap, and 30x30mm square (I have thin wrists!)

I admire the illustrations of Esquire Menswear in the 1910-50 period, and I hope to gain the same classic elegance of those Golden Periods.

Producers/Companies on my radar:

- Swaine Adeney Brigg (Luggage and Silk-Canopy Umbrellas)
- Lockwood Umbrellas (Cotton Canopy Umbrellas)
- Globetrotter (Luggage)
- Lock & Co. (Hats)
- Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (OTR/RTW)
- Brooks Brothers Own Make (OTR/RTW)
- Fox Flannels (Fabric)
- Hardy Minnis (Fabric)
- Huddersfield Fine Worsteds (Fabric)
- Victoria & Albert Museum (Inspiration from Archives/Bespoke Fabric)
- Gordon Yao (Bespoke)
- The Merchant Fox (Fabric/OTR)
- Anderson & Sheppard (OTR)
- Frederick Scholte (Old Patterns from V&A, Assistance for Bespoke Tailor)
- Turnbull & Asser (Shirts/OTR/Underwear)
- Budd (Shirts/OTR)
- Charvet (Shirts)
- William Abraham (Socks)
- Pye派 (Shirts, Undershirts)
- Edward Green (Shoes)
- Albert Thurston (Braces)
- New & Lingwood (OTR)
- Darcy Clothing (Detachable Collars)

That's all I can think of for now... this database may be of help to some of you that are new to menswear and want to get started!

I believe in no polyester/synthetics, and I strongly urge others to take upon this pledge; synthetics are bad for the environment, and they are itchy, uncomfortable, and unable to replicate the luxury of natural materials (Cotton-Spandex is incomparable to WISICA Sea Island Cotton, for example).

My mother set an example for me to dress well, and that habit has carried on until now, regardless of what the majority think.
I believe in a good impression and living life to the fullest, a moralistic mindset, and dressing the part is part of the game.

I encourage all members new and old to stay true to their culture and principles, and to adopt dressing modestly but elegantly in order to ease some of the pressure that this *cruel* world places on our shoulders!

I also encourage all to adopt a larger budget for their wardrobe, for dressing well is an investment, no different from property, equities, gold, or a car.

Bye for now!

alexalexf

Reaction score
Hi all -- I am Alex and I have a deep love for Italian leather, boots of any kind, and athleisure. I don't post much, but am excited about the community and to see new styles. Born and bred in California, SF native. Hoping to see some new brands and styles on here.

Thanks -- AF

Jcart

Reaction score
Hello fellow Style Forum members!

My name is Joe Carter. The story of how I developed a relationship with clothing and style starts with my father. My father was born in a poor, working class family in Phoenix, Arizona in 1948. My dad had a natural affinity for clothing from a young age, and began delivering groceries at 14 so that he could afford to outfit himself with articles of clothing which his parents were not able to afford.

After working in department stores and local shops for a few decades, my father got the opportunity he had been waiting his entire life for when several of his closest friends got together without his knowledge, and surprised him with a loan so that he could finally start his own business.

That small, yet significant loan lead to the birth of Carter's Men's Clothing in 1984, a traditional menswear shop that is still alive and kicking to this day! Having grown up idolizing my own father, I spent endless hours hanging out in the shop with him and his customers (more like friends, as his business model closely rivals that of Style Forums: "Come for the clothes. Stay for the company.") as he willingly opened and closed the doors to his business 7 days a week.

I wouldn't say I have the natural ability to understand and portray style as easily as my father can, but growing up in the back of a traditional menswear store has definitely led to some classical nuances being rubbed off on me over time. Although I do not participate in the business myself (not my choice!), keeping traditional menswear values alive is something that is very near and dear to my heart.

I hope to use this forum and my personal platforms to do my part in keeping the history of traditional menswear alive and well.

In addition to that, my main purpose in joining this forum is to get in touch with others who have similar tastes. Unfortunately, I don't have many friends my age (I am 26) who are interested in traditional menswear.

If anyone is ever in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and wants to grab a coffee or stop by any of the local shops, feel free to get in touch!

HenryBlake

Reaction score
My name is Rezas S.
I live and work in Norway, Oslo, and I started Henry Blake back in 2015.

My idea was to create a watch that I could wear myself, and make it accessible for everyone else like me all over the globe.
I am a Norwegian entrepreneur with a passion for design, and an obsession with small details.

Check out our affiliate thread here on SF

clementFR

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Clément, working in IT as a freelancer in Paris - France.

I mainly came here because of Alden and the good infos I've already found. I wanted to share a couple of pictures so you'll find my first post in the official thread.

I usual stick to both casual chic and workwear clothing.
- My typical week end outfit will be Orslow pants, Merz B Schwanen sweat shirt and/or henley over a Tanner Good belt and NB 998 over cool Anonymous Ism socks.
- A classic work day outfit will be a Gitman Vintage Oxford shirt, Incotex pants, APC belt, a pair of Alden over flashy Falke socks.

Lots of cheers from the city of lights!

cutips8765

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm from the Midwest USA. I recently developed a passion for dress shoes and noticed that many of my Google searches led me to this forum, so I joined.

Thanks!

Spookietoo

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've perused these forums several times over the last few years as I attempt to up my own wardrobe. The hat discussion caught my attention today and I couldn't help but post. As a woman, I'll probably rarely post, but I appreciate the information and opinions that I find here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads