• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Stingray--12

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am considering ordering another Indochino suit. Here is front, side and back shot of a tux I ordered from them. I have attached one frontal shot of a navy blue suit, which is an OTR 38s for comparison purposes. I prefer the body on the OTR TBH, but I am unsure of how to direct Indochino to alter my measurements so I get a better fitting suit. (Sorry about the mess. I am moving in a few days).

Karl Drogo

Reaction score
Here are long overdue photos of my Indochino Essential Charcoal Suit. This is actually the third version of this order. Version 1 was seen earlier in this thread, months ago, and was a two-button that was actually passable, but needed fine-tuning. Version 2, I never bothered sharing in this thread because it was horrendous. Version 3 is what you see below, and I requested a one-button for a lower stance and actually grew to like the sleek look of one button, and most of the fine-tuning is there. When you look at the back area in the photographs, all those wrinkles mysterious appear that don't appear when I look at my back in the mirror over my shoulder. So I have no idea how to get rid of them from showing in photographs but not in real life, because I do get complimented frequently on how I look when wearing this suit. The jacket is already very fitted, and one tailor I visited cautioned me that it was a tiny bit tight at the button area since you can faintly see some of the X-lines across my belly especially in the final photo.

Indochino grants the usual $75 alterations credit towards tailoring. I had my tailor strengthen the button (only a few dollars, but worth it) and she give her assessment, which she said was "perfect" other than possibly being a tiny bit too tight at the belly as mentioned above.

Thoughts welcomed. It's much too late to request any changes with Indochino since plenty of time has elapsed since I received this suit and I already wore it many times for a few interviews and while I was on travel. This is essentially the measurement profile I'd be copying and uploading to Dragon Inside if/when I give them a shot.

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_01_zps04d61112.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_02_zps65ffcacb.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_03_zps6013b3d8.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_04_zpsb785dc1c.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_05_zpsf3902c5e.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_06_zps17060cd3.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_07_zps144ea27a.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_08_zps7939c2af.jpg

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Here are long overdue photos of my Indochino Essential Charcoal Suit. This is actually the third version of this order. Version 1 was seen earlier in this thread, months ago, and was a two-button that was actually passable, but needed fine-tuning. Version 2, I never bothered sharing in this thread because it was horrendous. Version 3 is what you see below, and I requested a one-button for a lower stance and actually grew to like the sleek look of one button, and most of the fine-tuning is there. When you look at the back area in the photographs, all those wrinkles mysterious appear that don't appear when I look at my back in the mirror over my shoulder. So I have no idea how to get rid of them from showing in photographs but not in real life, because I do get complimented frequently on how I look when wearing this suit. The jacket is already very fitted, and one tailor I visited cautioned me that it was a tiny bit tight at the button area since you can faintly see some of the X-lines across my belly especially in the final photo.

Indochino grants the usual $75 alterations credit towards tailoring. I had my tailor strengthen the button (only a few dollars, but worth it) and she give her assessment, which she said was "perfect" other than possibly being a tiny bit too tight at the belly as mentioned above.

Thoughts welcomed. It's much too late to request any changes with Indochino since plenty of time has elapsed since I received this suit and I already wore it many times for a few interviews and while I was on travel. This is essentially the measurement profile I'd be copying and uploading to Dragon Inside if/when I give them a shot.

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_01_zps04d61112.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_02_zps65ffcacb.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_03_zps6013b3d8.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_04_zpsb785dc1c.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_05_zpsf3902c5e.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_06_zps17060cd3.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_07_zps144ea27a.jpg

indochino_essential_charcoal_remake2_08_zps7939c2af.jpg

I think your armholes are too tight and therefore causing the shoulder divots? I would also loosen the waist a little bit instead of tightening it. The wrinkles on the back, no idea what's causing that.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I haven't visited their site for over 2 years and it's clear they have put some marketing weight behind it. It's completely geared towards to the yuppie crowd, but that's pretty much where most $ will be made unless you are into say, G & H.

I couldn't find the bit about where suits are made. I remember in the past they have a picture of a nice, clean, white lab coat look of a factory in Shanghai (I would doubt it actually looks like that unless they are heavily funded with overseas $) I'm fairly certain they are made in China, though the yuan is no longer as favorable to the dollar as it was before so the cheapest suit is now 449, a far cry from the 269 or 299 or so back in 2011.

As for fabrics, they claimed they used Australian merino wool, but somehow they are sourced from mills in Italy and China? I'm no expert on the process, but I thought the mills are typically where the wool is sourced.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I remember in the past they have a picture of a nice, clean, white lab coat look of a factory in Shanghai (I would doubt it actually looks like that unless they are heavily funded with overseas $)

You could eat off the floors of all the factories I have visited in China and none of them had foreign investment.

I'm no expert on the process, but I thought the mills are typically where the wool is sourced.

No.

Last edited:

LorenzL

Reaction score

I haven't visited their site for over 2 years and it's clear they have put some marketing weight behind it.  It's completely geared towards to the yuppie crowd, but that's pretty much where most $ will be made unless you are into say, G & H.

I couldn't find the bit about where suits are made.  I remember in the past they have a picture of a nice, clean, white lab coat look of a factory in Shanghai (I would doubt it actually looks like that unless they are heavily funded with overseas $)  I'm fairly certain they are made in China, though the yuan is no longer as favorable to the dollar as it was before so the cheapest suit is now 449, a far cry from the 269 or 299 or so back in 2011.

As for fabrics, they claimed they used Australian merino wool, but somehow they are sourced from mills in Italy and China?  I'm no expert on the process, but I thought the mills are typically where the wool is sourced.

Australian merino wool is the raw wool that's then processed by mills all over the world - Indochino then buys either directly from a mill (if the order is big enough) or through a wholesale company, I'd imagine.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Karl, those wrinkles are present because your coat is too tight in the waist. When you turn and look over your shoulder, you are stretching it in such a way that seemingly removes the wrinkles. The ones closes to your waist and the vent are from the coat hugging too tightly around your midsection - you need to decrease the amount of waist suppression. The vertically-oriented wrinkles are from excess material from mid-shoulder to mid-shoulder. A tailor can come correct me, but I strongly believe those are the causes.

Last edited:

LorenzL

Reaction score
So for a long time I had no issues with collar gaps. But since I started working out a bit that changed. I want to write an article about it and I'm putting together some sources. Anything I need to know (outside of what google returns) about collar gaps and possible fixes? Curious what you guys here think!

LorenzL

Reaction score
Ok, so there is finally a proper sale. Maybe the last collection didn't sell so well, because there is a ton of tweed and flannel suits on sale from $399. Couple of accessories are even 50% off (the flat caps). Can't miss the sale, it's right at their frontpage.

Simon at Elite

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I haven't visited their site for over 2 years and it's clear they have put some marketing weight behind it. It's completely geared towards to the yuppie crowd, but that's pretty much where most $ will be made unless you are into say, G & H.

I couldn't find the bit about where suits are made. I remember in the past they have a picture of a nice, clean, white lab coat look of a factory in Shanghai (I would doubt it actually looks like that unless they are heavily funded with overseas $) I'm fairly certain they are made in China, though the yuan is no longer as favorable to the dollar as it was before so the cheapest suit is now 449, a far cry from the 269 or 299 or so back in 2011.

As for fabrics, they claimed they used Australian merino wool, but somehow they are sourced from mills in Italy and China? I'm no expert on the process, but I thought the mills are typically where the wool is sourced.
I have visited many Chinese suit factories, including one that makes some of the Indochino suits and I'll be going to another this week, and they are as clean as you would expect any factory to be. Some are better than others but none are what i would call pristine nor would I expect a factory to be so. I certainly wouldn't eat off any of the floors.

Australian merino wool is regarded as the world's best suiting wool and exported to mills all over the world. I don't think I would want cloth made from the fleece of Italian or English sheep. However, there are various grades of wool and the finest go to the big names in England and Italy although some Indian producers are now buying high grade wool as are the chines who already take two thirds of the annual Australian merino wool production.

There is a big disparity in price depending on the grade with a standard grade selling for say $2000 but the highest grade selling for up to 100 times that price. So just beacause it says it's Australian Merino doesn't mean it's absolute top quality

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads