• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread you ask how to behave in restaurants and other locations, and people who have been ou

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would the following scenarios affect the tip? i.e. Are they examples of good or bad service?

1) Popular high end restaurant - had to book 2 months in advance to the day. I was looking forward to the Coffee and Doughnuts course, but was not listed on the menu. I noticed other patrons were having said course and asked the waiter if I could have it too. Waiter responded that I needed to have to book it in advance because they need to make the dough for it. I was crestfallen. Later one of my dining companions told another waiter that I was really looking forward to the Coffee and Doughnuts course. The waiter said he would ask the chef and then the course was promptly made for the table.

2) Middle of the road restaurant known for its arroz con pato. We went to this restaurant just for this dish and placed the order with our drinks. Waitress said that we needed to make a reservation in advance otherwise this dish would be unavailable. We canceled our drinks order and discussed whether we should leave and where we should go instead. Then the manager comes by and tells us that the arroz con pato is really on the menu and we are free to order it. We stay and the arroz comes quicker that I remembered previously (usually it takes 20 minutes to make) but arrives somewhat lukewarm. The food was good nonetheless but I was left wondering what exactly happened. Also, they switched our waitress after the manager came by to tell us the arroz was really still on the menu.

Anyone have an idea why items can go in out of the menu so readily? Was I being lied to or was it merely incompetence or perhaps both?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The French Laundry has some pretty obnoxious waiters, by my estimation, but service is included, so you don't really need to worry.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Would the following scenarios affect the tip? i.e. Are they examples of good or bad service?

1) Popular high end restaurant - had to book 2 months in advance to the day. I was looking forward to the Coffee and Doughnuts course, but was not listed on the menu. I noticed other patrons were having said course and asked the waiter if I could have it too. Waiter responded that I needed to have to book it in advance because they need to make the dough for it. I was crestfallen. Later one of my dining companions told another waiter that I was really looking forward to the Coffee and Doughnuts course. The waiter said he would ask the chef and then the course was promptly made for the table.

2) Middle of the road restaurant known for its arroz con pato. We went to this restaurant just for this dish and placed the order with our drinks. Waitress said that we needed to make a reservation in advance otherwise this dish would be unavailable. We canceled our drinks order and discussed whether we should leave and where we should go instead. Then the manager comes by and tells us that the arroz con pato is really on the menu and we are free to order it. We stay and the arroz comes quicker that I remembered previously (usually it takes 20 minutes to make) but arrives somewhat lukewarm. The food was good nonetheless but I was left wondering what exactly happened. Also, they switched our waitress after the manager came by to tell us the arroz was really still on the menu.

Anyone have an idea why items can go in out of the menu so readily? Was I being lied to or was it merely incompetence or perhaps both?

Hmmmm

What probably happened in both instances is that the waiter didint want to do it. Most likely because they are items that take a very long time and hog the table or delay their evening out if you are a late table.

Switching waitresses was the trigger that made me believe that's what was going on.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, never knew that. Good catch, will look for it.

The sad fact is I would say 2/3 of bars use these now, especially bars that serve craft beer with a high pour cost. I like the British/European system where it is illegal to sell beer without using a certified, measured glass or tap. Though that's government regulation so it probably won't fly in the USA.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The sad fact is I would say 2/3 of bars use these now, especially bars that serve craft beer with a high pour cost. I like the British/European system where it is illegal to sell beer without using a certified, measured glass or tap. Though that's government regulation so it probably won't fly in the USA.

The downside to the system of regulated measurements we have here is that spirit measures are pretty small. If you get a spirit and a mixer in the UK the quantity of spirit you get compared to what I seem to get in my glass almost anywhere else I have visited is rather small. You can order doubles and so on, but booze already seems pretty expensive here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good point. I'd just be happy if glasses had to have their capacity printed on them.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is probabaly a stupid question, as i do not eat out that often(maybe once twice a month for business), is any restaurant really worth having to get reservations two months in advance?

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

this is probabaly a stupid question, as i do not eat out that often(maybe once twice a month for business), is any restaurant really worth having to get reservations two months in advance?

Yes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Not for me, some like this whole planning meals and foodie quest so I guess it is ok for them.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
It's not as if the anticipation occupies all your free time for two months. It takes 30 seconds like any other reservation.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Been to some fun places, never had to reserve more than a few hours in advance via the plebe methods (no CC concierge, sometimes hotel concierge) - waiting for the day, I guess. I suppose that will happen soon as we're moving to Tokyo next month and the few big winners will be booked, as usual.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does one do if one is riding a coach and has his arm on the armrest. He notices that the chap behind him has placed his feet on the back of the rest and his toes made contact with one's elbow.

Here is the kicker: dude doesn't speak much English and is a legitimate gold medal contender in Olympic taekwondo,heavyweight.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think I would ever ask to speak with the manager of a restaurant.

I have.

Finished our meal at a nice restaurant in Providence. Server collected my credit card with the bill. Didn't come back to the table for 20-30 minutes. Signaled him and asked if everything was alright. He went to go check and said they must have lost my credit card. Asked me to pay with another card or use cash. Alternatively, he offered, I could take as long as I needed to find the card myself. I said "I don't think you understand that you lost my credit card. I want to speak to your manager." The manager comped the entire meal.

Last edited:

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...]
Here is the kicker: dude doesn't speak much English and is a legitimate gold medal contender in Olympic taekwondo,heavyweight.

Still holding a grudge from '96?
TKD competitor or not, most people would probably remove their foot when asked politely. Use sign language if required.

Note, olympic TKD is hardly useful when seated.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does one do if one is riding a coach and has his arm on the armrest. He notices that the chap behind him has placed his feet on the back of the rest and his toes made contact with one's elbow.

kick his ass. taekwondo is about as useful as fencing for actual self defense being a martial sport. you being intelligent have dedicated your martial studies to more practical arts

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads