• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ill dressed department store emplyees

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think Mcbrown hit the nail on the head. I've worked in and out of sales for the last 10 years of my life, at BB, Banana Republic, at an upscale mens clothing store, cars, and now at a large higher level department store. 99% of the customers dont' care if the suit is canvased or not. If there is handwork. What brand it is. Price is the biggest factor usually. They shop for what they like and your job is to sell it to them. Most of the time it is the women choosing. It's really that you lack sales experience. I know it sucks not getting jobs but retail is an unforgiving business. It doesn't pay well most of the time and you are stuck working weekends and holidays. Is that something you want?

My advice to you is to go to a place Nordstroms and apply for a non sales job. Somewhere you have experience. They often move people around at the bigger places. This way you get to see how retail works from the other side (believe me it is much different) and see if it will be a fit for you. Someone in management will take notice once you've planted that seed that you want to be in sales. It may take some time but if you really want it go for it.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't take issue with that and if you refer my post you can see that my case is not about wearing fine quality clothing. My issue would be that navy blazer is 42R while your size is 40S, that store brand shirt is 16 34/35 while your size 15.5 32/33. I hope you get my point.

I did misinterpret your meaning and I do agree. I worked with a lot of guys like that...they didn't care about their appearance and its a big reason why they did not get promoted to high profile departments with more customer interaction. Customers who spend lots of money on clothing do not want a slob to help dress them.

Last edited:

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
EDIT:
I'll ask you one question. Why was oxiclean so popular? If you understand sales you'll understand the answer to this question.
So, basically because of poorly educated consumers. May be what bothers me is because i maybe part of the 1% and it's not because of SF as many may think. I found this forum very helpful, but this was an issue for way before my SF days, I am glad I found a place where I can talk about it.
It's not that I want to work at retails, but I thought working at high end mens store may look good in resume for bigger and better endeavors. I am beginning to think not, I had the wrong idea.

Saltricks

Reaction score

Ok, since we are focusing on sells and selling ability. I am saying selling techniques shouldn't be part of it, but hear this. I wouldn't have a pile of Abs gadget in my garage if infomercial featured a sale pro sitting on his couch or standing in front of the camera with his belly touching his thighs. While this guy may be able to be on top on his selling in other department, i am not sure he would do well in selling abs stuffs, at least for me. Then again I must ask why would that guy be better qualify for this jobs over workout enthusiast and has a lot to show for it?

I walk in sport authority, i know exactly who to ask about running shoes, that person may have me buy five and put them on credit instead of the one i wanted. I hope that may be a little clearer

Maybe his angle is that he was even fatter and is on his way down thanks to the ab machine. Although part of being a good salesman is knowing your product like the back of your hand, a deficit in this area can be outweighed by skill in the many other areas that go into making a good salesman. Look at it this way, if you can't look someone in the eye, give them a smile and a nice hand shake, no matter how much you think you know, no one will listen to you. I think it was nordstrom who said "we hire the smile" which means that knowledge is trainable, but charisma, charm, being likable and a good person to work with is not (or at least very much harder to train).

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, basically because of poorly educated consumers. May be what bothers me is because i maybe part of the 1% and it's not because of SF as many may think. I found this forum very helpful, but this was an issue for way before my SF days, I am glad I found a place where I can talk about it.
It's not that I want to work at retails, but I thought working at high end mens store may look good in resume for bigger and better endeavors. I am beginning to think not, I had the wrong idea.

Honestly unless you really want to go the retail way as in becoming a buyer, manager, etc. retail isn't going to open a whole lot of doors for you. At least I haven't found it to. I like my job, but it is not want I want to do for the rest of my life. When I was younger and first starting out in men's clothing I loved it but my passion killed it for me as well.

The reason I asked the Billy Mays question was to hint at this. You have the passion for clothing which is one of the things he did great. People believed him. My thought in asking this question to you is would you have this passions for all items you would HAVE to sell? It was something that was hard for me at first when I got into sales but learned to work around. I have since tried to sell only things I believe in but it is hard when you work for larger companies. I was lucky and was a buyer at the mens store so I got to chose a lot of what came in. But also what got Billy to be such a great salesmen, and like most salesmen he had a great pitch and customers ate it up. This is something that doesn't come natural to lots of people and this is probably what the companies you're applying to don't want to train you on. I would, if I were you, try to find a small mens store and see if they would take you on. Your passion and knowledge would got a lot farther there than at a place like Nieman Marcus.

Also not to be critical but is English your first language? I noticed a lot of mistakes in your posts and they may see communication as an issue as well.

Last edited:

mlongano

Reaction score

Agree, but remember I represent some percentage of buyer. But, if I know furniture, the second guy does not stand a chance with me. So there, you may loose a potential buyer.

Since 99.9% of the buyers know absolutely nothing about men's clothing, the retail establishment can afford to lose the 0.1% that are knowledgeable.

The post by "mcbrown" hit the nail on the head. The sales position has nothing to do with your sense of style...it has everything to do with your ability to sell.

Last edited:

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With respect to business attire (as opposed to clubbing attire, for example), South Florida is no different from most places in the country.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads