• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you were ordering a MTO EG tomorrow..

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you think a Southwold in Mocha Suede with a Dark Oak toe cap and heel would look? Possibly with a toe medallion as well.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
How do you think a Southwold in Mocha Suede with a Dark Oak toe cap and heel would look? Possibly with a toe medallion as well.

Nice, very nice. I've also seen the Kingsway done in two colors/hides and that's damn fine too.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Not for an order tomorrow (alas), but high on my list for a next EG m-t-o is a Berkeley in black with the sunken metal toe tip (I fear the toe tip is the reason for the m-t-o, because I haven't encountered any EG r-t-w's with one, and I'm uncertain whether EG can and/or will add sunken toe tips to a r-t-w shoe lateron).

And then there is the idea that's crept into my head since seeing TimelessRider's EG 'Plymouth'. A Plymouth Colonial in Burnt Pine or Chestnut or (maybe even) Edwardian and twill. Yet I'm unsure whether the design of the Plymouth will allow makeup as a Colonial. Or I could use the EG Weymouth design and have a truly remarkable Colonial shoe. Decisions, decisions...

Some things for me to look into...

MtB

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of Grenson Stowes in calf/suede from the last Bennies sale and received 4 compliments the first time I wore them, including one from Hilary Freeman of EG. They're a chocolate suede and dark brown calfskin (similar to dark oak without the antiquing), so the contrast is primarily textural. It's a nice intermediate step for those of us too shy to wear burgandy and cream beige as our first two-tone shoe!

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Looking to improve
And then there is the idea that's crept into my head since seeing TimelessRider's EG 'Plymouth'. A Plymouth Colonial in Burnt Pine or Chestnut or (maybe even) Edwardian and twill. Yet I'm unsure whether the design of the Plymouth will allow makeup as a Colonial. Or I could use the EG Weymouth design and have a truly remarkable Colonial shoe. Decisions, decisions...
You reminded me of this old topic.

I think the Plymouth would make a great spectator shoe, provided the throat and the brogueing around the the throat are of the same color. I would prefer that everything enclosed in red below be the same color as the wingcap and heel counter, with the vamp and the quarters being of a different color/material. As it stands the the throat brogueing is punched into the same piece of leather which makes up the vamp and quarters. Hopefully the MTO program at EG can accomodate this change while preserving the beauty of the U-shaped throat.

eg_plymouth_adelaide_cutoff.jpg

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelessRider
You reminded me of this old topic.
Hmmm. I knew the idea was a bit familiar, now I remember why!

I think the Plymouth would make a great spectator shoe, provided the throat and the brogueing around the the throat are of the same color. I would prefer that everything enclosed in red below be the same color as the wingcap and heel counter, with the vamp and the quarters being of a different color/material. As it stands the the throat brogueing is punched into the same piece of leather which makes up the vamp and quarters. Hopefully the MTO program at EG can accomodate this change while preserving the beauty of the U-shaped throat.
I did have the same rough 'vision' as you do regarding what to do in leather and what to do in canvas. But these envisioned shoes are still waaaay down on the to-acquire list
smile.gif
. And I still have all these decisions to make about them. I'll have at least as much fun agonising about the choices I should make as I may have wearing them should they ever be realised.

MtB

ndak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
That's the one. The first time I saw an EG shoe that I wanted enough to swindle an old lady out of her savings for.

What color are these done in??? (The red looking one's on page 3 sorry can't paste the photo)

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kibworth or Oundle in Edwardian.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ecton 888 antique burgundy.

In fact I would be ordering that tomorrow if I hadn't just ordered some G&G derbies and if I didn't really need a pair of decent loafers.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
My next pair will be a Top Drawer version of Kibworth with medallion in tobacco suede

Good choice.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
although those are G$G , still i think EG can make something close to it.

EG has two Adelaides. The throats are rounded, however, not pointed as on the G&G. Also, the EG versions don't have a medallion. But I believe you can add one of EG's standard medallions at no upcharge.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shape of the throat isn't doing it for me there...

Originally Posted by diorshoe
if i were ordering EG MTO i would get these:

Hughes_DG70.jpg

although those are G$G , still i think EG can make something close to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads