• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you can only have 4 pairs of shoes for life, what Brand and Type of shoe are you having?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No particular order :

Dark brown Adelaïde oxfords (TLB Mallorca Picasso)
Burgundy Shell Cordovan tassel loafers (Crockett & Jones Cavendish)
Medium brown Split-toe derby (Edward Green Dover)
White sneakers (Vekla, Skolyx etc...)

Bonus :
Waxy commander suede dark brown captoe derby boots with shearling (Meermin)

Do you happen know whether there is a difference in quality between Vekla and Skolyx?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church’s Coalport in Black/Tan (own all 3 models) - boots

Clearly you like these - so can you tell us a bit more? None of the websites are very informative, including Church's. They are stormwelted, right? And from pictures the sole looks a bit intrusive / wide, especially when you compare to sleeker boots (even rugged ones like C&J Snowdens). How do they seem to you?

Pedro Moreira

Reaction score
Clearly you like these - so can you tell us a bit more? None of the websites are very informative, including Church's. They are stormwelted, right? And from pictures the sole looks a bit intrusive / wide, especially when you compare to sleeker boots (even rugged ones like C&J Snowdens). How do they seem to you?
Hi,
Well, for starts the boots are extremely comfortable. You can walk all day with no hassle. Due to the lightweight sole, they’re not as heavy as you might expect.
The boots are stormwelt as you figure.
They look wide but when you put them on, the boots (at least for me) looks very elegant considering the sheer size they have. Granted, they do not look as slim and elegant as my EG’s Galway, but for “heavy duty” look boots, they are extremely elegant.
NOTE: before buying my first pair of church’s (Grafton grain walnut bought on eBay BNIB for 220£), due to the feedbacks trashing Church’s after being purchased by PRADA in 1999, I was weary about the brand. After purchasing the Grafton’s, I was sold to the brand. Bought a pair of blue suede fullbeck, a pair of Dover sandals and always extremely satisfied (I had already some pairs of C&J, Cheaney, JL). So, when I discovered the Coalport, I bought one pair. And they’re awesome. No break in, comfortable right off the box, and stylish. And 3 weeks later I bought the second pair.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Well, for starts the boots are extremely comfortable. You can walk all day with no hassle. Due to the lightweight sole, they’re not as heavy as you might expect.
The boots are stormwelt as you figure.
They look wide but when you put them on, the boots (at least for me) looks very elegant considering the sheer size they have. Granted, they do not look as slim and elegant as my EG’s Galway, but for “heavy duty” look boots, they are extremely elegant.

Thank-you! That's really helpful.

loduN

Reaction score
Do you happen know whether there is a difference in quality between Vekla and Skolyx?

Actually I only happen to own the Veklas in off-white but I'm eying to purchase the Skolyx next. They look very similar and the products description is very similar too. Take it with a grain of salt as I didn't handle the Skolyx pair yet.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9dbe08965016cfa7ccfb31f2bc61592b.jpg

c0987d94df4f847ae3a703e9ab8976c7.jpg
cae32bfaa2718ed1aae438bb770ce9c5.jpg
DSC02992_(356004744).jpg

If I'm going to be resigned to just four, I want them to be stylishly memorable.

EUtroll

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how “bad” the bad weather is during the summer and what you’re planning to be doing in them while it happens. If we are talking rain/downpour it’s not all that hard to avoid stepping in puddles and to bring an umbrella.
How I describe my rainy days in shoe threads:

View attachment 1614424

What my rainy days are actually like:

View attachment 1614426

Being caught in the Brussels' rain the other day, I was reminded why I've actually considered to generally get shoes with bellow tongues for my city commute :)

IMG_20210606_075842.jpg

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly would probably just be pair of crocs and whatever sneakers I'm feeling at the moment. I've lusted after the types of shoes that we like on this forum for most of my teenage life but now as an adult I'm simply not in a line of work that demands that kind of footwear, and sneakers/crocs are just way superior in the comfort department.

Although the shoes I do see myself gravitating towards

A pair of loafers - this changes with mood but currently I have a pair of greyish brown pair of tassel loafers that I've given a lot of use. But if I had an 'end-game' loafer I might be content with a pair of Alden Number 8 LHS and that can be my loafer for life.

Brown suede chukka boots - maybe a bit of a carryover from my Clarks Desert Boot days, but still a very hard-to-beat shoe in terms of versatility. Also pretty comfortable compared to most other shoes.

Black Tassel Loafers - This is my equivalent of the black cap toe - I will probably never be in a situation formal enough where it actually matters what shoe I'm wearing (and honestly most people don't dress properly for formal occasions anyway). If I ever have to dress formal it's probably under like some fun pretense (friend's wedding, some gala or ball, etc.,) so I think I'm comfortable wearing tassel loafers instead of a full on Oxford.

Last one I really don't know. If I lived somewhere that required boots then it would probably be a pair of boots. Big fan of the Japanese made stuff so would probably go with Rolling Dub Trio.

But if I don't live in boot weather country (which is where I've been the last two years) I really don't want anything to do with boots. Just give me another loafer based on whatever style is in right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads