• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to get a Sixpack

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nerkg

Reaction score
Nah, if you get strong enough abs they'll pop through anyway. I'm probably in the teens for BF% but have a six-pack on my stomach, and also on my back. That is what happens by doing 285lb clean and jerks, 500lb deadlifts, 245lb overhead squats, weighted dragon flags, etc.
Abdominals are intended to stabilize the midsection to transmit power from the lower body to the arms, or when forces are unequal at the shoulders and hips--- the primary intention of abs is NOT to fold up on yourself while lying on a bosu ball. Ditch the crunches and grab a barbell. Or learn gymnastics... I guarantee most gymnasts don't do crunches or situps, they just utilize extreme force differentials between the upper and lower body and then call on their abdominals to stabilize the midsection against those forces. Planches, levers, etc.

you have a six pack on your back? lol

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've never understood the appeal of the paleo/caveman/warrior diets. Im pretty sure I could deadlift more then some emaciated 120lb cave man with a life expectancy of 20 years.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the thread in question -- Paleo Diet?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've never understood the appeal of the paleo/caveman/warrior diets. Im pretty sure I could deadlift more then some emaciated 120lb cave man with a life expectancy of 20 years.

It's a stricter form of the CKD diet. So it's good for when you want to maintain strength whilst cutting. And if you source all your food from organic sources the micronutrient profile should be much better than grain fed.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the basic core idea of all good diet plans are

high protein, high veggies.
limit high calorie foods like carbs.
some fat is good as it helps blunt hunger and it'll reduce cravings.
if you work out drink or eat some carbs after workout.
maintain caloric deficit
wait a few months

done

You are supposed to limit bean intake on Paleo. Whey can be tricky too since it can have gluten in it.

i dunno. i would just say **** strict paleo on go beans, whey, casein, eggs if i was vegetarian.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's what I keep saying! They were malnourished and suffered from many diseases. Why people want to idealize them and mimic their lives is beyond me. The modern human lives far longer and healthier lives.

I'll necromance that threak up in this, but only under extreme duress.

Is this the thread in question -- Paleo Diet?

That's it! One of the last before DC got banned.

the basic core idea of all good diet plans are
high protein, high veggies.
limit high calorie foods like carbs.
some fat is good as it helps blunt hunger and it'll reduce cravings.
if you work out drink or eat some carbs after workout.
maintain caloric deficit
wait a few months
done

i dunno. i would just say **** strict paleo on go beans, whey, casein, eggs if i was vegetarian.

I'm a big believer that a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss. Since you are trying to also put on lean muscle, you need to increase your protein. To do so and maintain a diet with few enough calories to loose weight (fat) you naturally have to replace complex carbs (like breads) with proteins and and other food sources like green veggies. That's why "low carb" diets work. There is nothing magical about carbs that make you fat other then they are an easy way to get excess calories in your diet.

Last edited:

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: unhealthy cave people

Recent studies suggest that early humans were wildly stronger than their modern counterparts.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

re: unhealthy cave people
Recent studies suggest that early humans were wildly stronger than their modern counterparts.

What kind of "early humans" are we talking about here? Cave people from ~20k years ago, or pre-**** sapiens?

Gorillas and chimps are tremendously stronger than modern humans so it wouldn't surprise me much if our distant ancestors were much stronger. But wouldn't figure that there would be much difference from the Stone Age until now.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably had massive obliques though from being functional, which is ugly.

Reaction score
It's very difficult and sometimes frustrating to achieve the abs that you really want. I have tried crunches, diet, and other abdominal/core exercises but I haven't seen the results yet. Any suggestions out there?

xCrunchx

Reaction score
watch really funny stuff and laugh then your abs will get worked out and you'll get a sixpack

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads