• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I started to have better things to do on Sunday mornings. I don't really like sitting around and watching TV, and while I still had 49ers tickets until three years ago, we never went because the crowd became a bunch of Turtles and who wants to be around that kind of ****.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I stopped paying attention too. I think it was a lot of things. But some of it was, I would take losses very hard. I was really, really crushed by the Roger Craig fumble that killed "three-peat." And, at the time, by Cal Football. Plus the Giants getting swept in '89. And then the sucky early '90s. At some point, I said to myself, it is not good to invest so much emotional energy into something in which there really is no upside and much downside.

I got into the Giants' two WS wins. I barely paid attention to the 49er successes lately, though I was sad to see their undefeated SB record go away. But somehow, I don't feel like this team is "my" team. Whereas I still do feel a DNA connection to the Giants.

I have to say, however, that I enjoyed the hell out of all that stuff in my youth and would not give it back for anything. The NFL (NFC especially) in the 80s was epic. Very stable teams. 5-6 consistently excellent teams and great drama. Now it's just thugs and various trash. Can't stand the players, the coaches mostly seem to be morons, the whole thing is gladatorial. I had my run, and it was fun, I know they are making more money with it the way it is. They lost me, but why should they care.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh, yes, I was also at the loss to Green Bay at the NFC Champ Game, in 1998. That was a tough one.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I downloaded the Uber app, but I haven't set up an account. I guess I really don't use cabs except for going to the airport and back.

You should get a friend with Uber to send you a code - I think you get $20 off your first ride right now and so will your friend. They seem to be aggressively competing with lyft.

any candlestick park memories?

So many good and bad memories at the stick. My last great one was for the playoff game against Green Bay last season which was epic. First one I can recall is being in the bleachers as a kid and having a Mike Aldrete home run bounce off my foot and into my hands whereupon a grown ass man stole it from me. This was back when you could jump out of the bleachers onto the area behind the chicken wire outfield fence. I hope that guy choked on a ping pong ball and died.

As for Matt and his Joe Montana/Steve Young stuff - yeah, I had a hard time but was on board with Young generally. I had great seats for the first time Joe came back with KC, fun times. I also had the pleasure of watching a summer 7 on 7 game between Joe and Steve at my high school. We were there for summer practice and for whatever reason a bunch of stars had gotten together. Ricky Watters was there, Brent Jones, Jerry of course, Jamie Williams, and a few dbs - maybe Merton Hanks, I can't remember. I don't think Ronnie was there. Joe's wife and kids were there too. Really awesome experience watching those guys run around. Jerry lived across the street from my school and hung out there a lot and couldn't have been a more genuine dude.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where did you go to school? I agree, he is a good dude. I chipped for quarters with him a couple years ago at Mariner's Point in San Mateo. Still really cool.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The first time my wife (then girlfriend) met my family was at a 49ers game. She convinced everybody that the weather was going to be great and that we didn't need rain gear, and then it poured the whole time. It was a perfect introduction to her.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

The first time my wife (then girlfriend) met my family was at a 49ers game. She convinced everybody that the weather was going to be great and that we didn't need rain gear, and then it poured the whole time. It was a perfect introduction to her.

i'm calling her out on this today.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where did you go to school? I agree, he is a good dude. I chipped for quarters with him a couple years ago at Mariner's Point in San Mateo. Still really cool.

[because I'm paranoid about personally identifiable info]

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm disgusted Matt made an entourage reference.

I'm not surprised Mike was emotionally invested in sports. Very unlike him.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
****. You're all making me really regret never going to a game at Candlestick. Dammit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveliynfindlay